now all of my ancient neighbors come to me for assistance. today, it was opening childproof caps. lesson learned: do not make eye contact when it can easily be avoided

A business opportunity maybe?

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

So sorry, Ghostie, but at least Sheila got SOME severage. Too often it's the COBRA that kills you and yet only good for 18 months, even with the cost break from the Feds. The Supreme Court's recent ruling that age CAN be used as a stop-loss action, can now be unfairly used by management to bonus themselves. The loss of pension funds everywhere is hitting hard. This morning the tv said the California UC system is down 60% and professors are being threatened. Two years ago they were being offered $10,000/month for life plus full medical to retire. I opened this thread to rant and feel sorry for myself because my oven just died this morning and I have four County Fair bread entries lined up ready to bake. I can use a friend's oven. I'm pissed and annoyed but it's not the shock of losing a 37 year job.

Thanks y'all. Funny how much you appreciate words on a computer screen from folks you've never met (yet). :)

The full story is that 18 months ago S got a new manager who is a narcissistic bitch from hell (if you read the NYT piece couple days ago on older folks in the workplace, the end of the piece describes her to a T). The VP who'd hired this new manager then got canned & was replaced by a neurotic bitch from outside who had a reputation for marketing brilliance but had never managed staff before. The new VP took an instant dislike to Sheila & several of her co-workers. The VP & the manager made a swell combo, often at each others' throats but also often united in their obvious contempt for certain longtime employees.

Today the VP succeeded in laying off 4 of the 16 people in the dept, likely to be replaced by cronies from her previous employer, a familiar story in the corporate world. Those laid off were all long-time employees, late 50s to early 60s, but they retained a couple of folks in that age group, no doubt carefully calculated by HR to keep the action just outside of age-discrimination territory.

Ironically, S & I had been up to White Plains yesterday to consult a labor attorney, since S had just received her first negative performance review in 37 years. It was a real hatchet job. It looked like they were laying the groundwork to set her up for firing for cause so that they wouldn't have to pay severance benefits, something which they actually tried to do with one of S's coworkers in Feb. He got an attorney & made them back down & give them the severance package that he was due.

Clearly the atmosphere there had become toxic. S was hanging on because some of her coworkers are good friends &, of course, her salary & travel perks were nice. Naturally, 2 of her 3 closest friends were among those laid off today, so they pretty much took out her main reasons for staying there in one fell swoop.

We should be OK financially, but this is still a rude shock. I remember when I was laid off in 2002 (from the same company, along with 25% of the staff company-wide). We'd known that that was coming for months & it was still bad enough when it actually happened, even though I got a decent early-retirement package. S's package, after 37 years, is much better. I am well aware of how lucky we are there; not to mention that we worked for an insurer that, in spite of some bad stumbles in the last decade, has remained in decent financial shape & should have no problems continuing to meet its pension obligations.

Oh heck, to conclude this on an appropriately bitter note, I'll save you the trouble of searching for that NYT article:

Generational differences in personality may also play a role: research shows that the younger generation, on average, is higher in self-esteem, assertiveness and narcissism, characteristics that may help them self-promote and impress during a job interview.

Unfortunately, these same traits - particularly narcissism - will later cause large problems for managers when they reappear as entitlement, overconfidence and conflicts with co-workers. Narcissistic people tend to take too many risks, leading to failure, and they react with anger and aggression when criticized.

They’re also often convinced they don’t need to do much to be fabulous. In this economy, employers will be best suited by hiring the employees – of any generation who are steadfast and hard-working, and not necessarily those who show charm and flash during the job interview.

Like I said, to a T. :cool: I've met the bitch & had dinner with her 3 times & I know.

Ghostie, I'm sorry S. has had to go through this. It really sucks. I'm a firm believer that people like T will eventually get their just desserts. I know it doesn't make the lay-off any easier, but it always helps to remember that.

my request for tax extension via e-file (submitted on 4/15) was rejected.

the reason they gave was that "Your name (including your spouse if applicable) can not exceed 35 characters."

they must be counting spaces

And you're buggered if you are a Sri Lankan.

Edit: Just remembered that I've designed data entry systems and the default size of name fields was always (no idea why) 35 characters. Probably something to do with COBOL word boundaries or some such cobblers.

the reason they gave was that "Your name (including your spouse if applicable) can not exceed 35 characters."

Wait, does that mean that they provided more than 35 spaces on line, & then rejected you after you used them? :blink:

Not that that wouldn't be typical.

I e-filed my return and it was rejected because I accidentally mistyped one digit of my Adjusted Gross Income from last years return. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the email notifying me of this until Thursday, which meant I was one day late in filing. Fortunately I didn't owe anything. Now I'm just hoping the amount of my refund will cover the fines and penalties for me being such a bad, bad boy.

Wait, does that mean that they provided more than 35 spaces on line, & then rejected you after you used them? :blink:

nope, the rip off way it works is that you fill out a form through a third party and they charge you and submit it to the irs.

the form doesn't do any validation. you wait for the irs to come back and tell you it's been rejected.

they will accept revised requests for extensions until 20 april, so i am not hosed.

nope, the rip off way it works is that you fill out a form through a third party and they charge you and submit it to the irs.

the form doesn't do any validation. you wait for the irs to come back and tell you it's been rejected.

they will accept revised requests for extensions until 20 april, so i am not hosed.

As long as you can change your name by then, I guess.

Having to replace my beloved simple 5-year-old router, I got a spiffy new Linksys from Fry's - about 15 miles from my house but I was already in the neighborhood. Picked up a returned version to save some $, took it home, and was installing the CD, only to notice that Fry's hadn't noticed the glue or some other kind of junk on the CD so now I have to trek out to Fry's to get a NEW replacement. No more "returned/in perfect factory condition" models for me. And I really don't have time to do this until mid-week....Praying my software firewall is robust.

Went for a walk in my town park down by the river yesterday evening to take some sunset pix. It was a warm, balmy evening that felt like early summer & held the promise of many such nights ahead. There was a Little League game in progress under the lights, the pitcher was warming up, the infield was tossing the ball around to stay loose. All seemed right with the world.

The pitcher finished his warmups & the new inning began. Then: "Clank..... clank... clank...." They were using those goddam aluminum bats.

It just sounded so wrong. :angry:

I'm sure this is more than an annoyance, but SOMEONE tell me if I have recourse. I have some clients in New York. I submitted an invoice at the beginning of January for work—over $500. I have gotten nothing from these people, and it's really pissed me off.

I went as far as lowering my hourly rate by $10/hour, trying to help them out, because I enjoyed the work. But to be stiffed for 3+ months is just UNBEARABLE. I had to resign from the stress of being told, "We will mail the check on Tuesday" (yes, my client is Wimpy, and he owes me for a hamburger TODAY)…not just once but repeatedly.

Do I have legal recourse? These are people who live a lavish lifestyle, and it just irks me beyond words that I'm bearing the weight of their thoughtlessness. I'm hoping some of you lawyer-types might advise. Thanks.

I e-filed my return and it was rejected because I accidentally mistyped one digit of my Adjusted Gross Income from last years return. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the email notifying me of this until Thursday, which meant I was one day late in filing. Fortunately I didn't owe anything. Now I'm just hoping the amount of my refund will cover the fines and penalties for me being such a bad, bad boy.

If you don't owe anything or are getting a refund, you can file anytime you like. No penalties! (See, they get to keep your money LONGER thataway.)