I don't know - how many pop songs do you hear twenty times without knowing what they're about. The teacher should just be considerably more alert to the issue. A friend of mine who has taught dance classes for children used to spend a good deal of time listening to CDs to find things suitable for the lessons which had harmless lyrics.

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

Tell me. Am I overreacting ? I truely believe any teacher that will expose kids to this CD has a problem. I don't care if its a Teacher, Clergy or whatever, it's a warning that something is wrong with this man.

Robert

Robert, I'd do more than a phone call. I'd put my concerns in writing, including a copy of the lyrics, and cc the superintendent and the school board. Even giving the music teacher a HUGE benefit of the doubt, the teachers, school and administration need to be more aware. Pre teen girls, teachers, and songs about oral sex don't make a good mix.

I did just that this afternoon.

I also spoke with the teacher and he claimed he had no idea what the lyrics were. :lol:

I'm not buying it for a moment. :lol:

what does he say his reasons for playing the song were? what did he do with the song? and what does he usually do pedagogically with other songs?

he may possibly have asked them to keep the volume down just because it was hip-hop. it is possible he brought the song in to seem cool--he may not in fact know anything about it or even 50 cent.

these are all the generous readings.

I am trying to keep an open mind but its not my strong point I admit when it comes to my little girl.

I posted the lyrics below.

Candy Shop"

by 50 Cent (featuring Olivia)

[intro: 50 Cent]

Yeah...

Uh huh

So seductive

[Chorus: 50 Cent & Olivia]

[50 Cent]

I take you to the candy shop

I'll let you lick the lollypop

Go 'head girl, don't you stop

Keep going 'til you hit the spot (woah)

[Olivia]

I'll take you to the candy shop

Boy one taste of what I got

I'll have you spending all you got

Keep going 'til you hit the spot (woah)

[Verse 1: 50 Cent]

You can have it your way, how do you want it

You gon' back that thing up or should i push up on it

Temperature rising, okay lets go to the next level

Dance floor jam packed, hot as a teakettle

I'll break it down for you now, baby it's simple

If you be a nympho, I'll be a nympho

In the hotel or in the back of the rental

On the beach or in the park, it's whatever you into

Got the magic stick, I'm the love doctor

Have your friends teasin you 'bout how sprung I gotcha

Wanna show me how you work it baby, no problem

Get on top then get to bouncing round like a low rider

I'm a seasons vet when it come to this shit

After you broke up a sweat you can play with the stick

I'm tryin to explain baby the best way I can

I melt in your mouth girl, not in your hands (ha ha)

[Chorus]

[bridge: 50 Cent & Olivia]

Girl what we do (what we do)

And where we do (and where we do)

The things we do (things we do)

Are just between me and you (oh yeah)

[Verse 2: 50 Cent]

Give it to me baby, nice and slow

Climb on top, ride like you in the rodeo

You ain't never heard a sound like this before

Cause I ain't never put it down like this

Soon as I come through the door she get to pullin on my zipper

It's like it's a race who can get undressed quicker

Isn't it ironic how erotic it is to watch em in thongs

Had me thinking 'bout that ass after I'm gone

I touch the right spot at the right time

Lights on or lights off, she like it from behind

So seductive, you should see the way she wind

Her hips in slow-mo on the floor when we grind

As Long as she ain't stoppin, homie I aint stoppin

Drippin wet with sweat man its on and popping

All my champagne campaign, bottle after bottle its on

And we gon' sip til every bubble in the bottle is gone

I don't know - how many pop songs do you hear twenty times without knowing what they're about.  The teacher should just be considerably more alert to the issue.  A friend of mine who has taught dance classes for children used to spend a good deal of time listening to CDs to find things suitable for the lessons which had harmless lyrics.

He's a music teacher for god's sake. It's his JOB to know what music he is teaching to his 12 year old students. He gets no break or benefit of the doubt from me. He's a lousy teacher, imo.

robert, I don't think you overreacted at all. I hope he gets a big fat reprimand from the school board. You should also bring this up with PTA that their 12 year old children are being exposed to lewd music in the classroom.

Robert, I sympathize completely, as I try to protect my girl from all kinds of nastiness, including hip hop, rap, and that whole bitch/ho/pimp mentality.

However, and not to defend the teacher at all, I myself have a kind of aural dyslexia that often makes me unable to comprehend lyrics in music. I don't know how to explain this, but I've mentioned it before. I can be fooled into thinking a song is upbeat and sweet—"The Good-bye Look" by Steely Dan, I only learned last year, is about a mob hit and not a breaking up song.

But assuming it's a hip hop song, surely some of the lyrics would have jumped out as being completely inappropriate for playing to students—the words "shit," "nympho," and "ass" being prime examples. And if those words didn't stand out, the general language of the genre should have indicated that the teacher should have exercised more caution than he did.

I would be plenty pissed off if I were in your shoes.

It ain't romantic poetry. With all the good things that exist to play or read, it doesn't make sense that teacher would pick this particular song. If he's hip enough to know who 50 Cent is, I think he's hip enough to know to screen the lyrics before deciding to play the record. "Why?" seems like a valid question.

I will likely have to take his explanation at face value and give him the benefit of the doubt. Twenty five years ago I would have not been so understanding. :lol:

Or the other choice is to pull her out of the school.

See I am just such a firm believer in what Maya Angelou as often said.

'When someone shows themselves to you the first time.Believe them!'

Robert, I sympathize completely, as I try to protect my girl from all kinds of nastiness, including hip hop, rap, and that whole bitch/ho/pimp mentality.

That's funny. My Mom can not understand why I love rap and hip hop music. I keep trying to point out to her that a lot of hip hop (50 not included) is not misogynistic, but she also knows of my love for all beats, bitch/ho or otherwise, so she takes what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

If the music teacher is trying to expose the kids to hip hop, why the hell would he choose 50? That's like playing Three Doors Down and 311 to teach kids about rock and roll. Go before the PTA with better hip hop suggestions.

That said, I like 50 Cent.

My annoyance for today was picking through 2 cases of mesclun to separate the wet and almost-rotten from the dry and nice-looking. I fucking hate pre-bagged lettuces. I can't wait for spring.

No one in my immediate family can grasp that any email headlined 'please forward this to everyone you know' is most likely bullshit or worse. I just sent my sister the snopes. com link debunking her latest forwarded idiot missive, and she's arguing with me, the little snip. :lol:

That's funny. My Mom can not understand why I love rap and hip hop music. I keep trying to point out to her that a lot of hip hop (50 not included) is not misogynistic, but she also knows of my love for all beats, bitch/ho or otherwise, so she takes what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

If the music teacher is trying to expose the kids to hip hop, why the hell would he choose 50? That's like playing Three Doors Down and 311 to teach kids about rock and roll. Go before the PTA with better hip hop suggestions.

That said, I like 50 Cent.

My annoyance for today was picking through 2 cases of mesclun to separate the wet and almost-rotten from the dry and nice-looking. I fucking hate pre-bagged lettuces. I can't wait for spring.

Nero, you aren't twelve, are you?

It's one thing to like that stuff if you're an adult, and quite another to forcefeed it to children.

I just hate music that's based in so much negativity. Hate. It.

And am quite glad my daughter likes "peace and love" music instead.