• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

Can't find the recipe for my triple ginger cookies, and all the on-line ones don't resemble them.

Were they crispy or chewy? My favourite triple ginger cookies are from Emily Luchetti, but they're the crispy kind.

This link might take you there, but it might not (it's a google books link)

not these? joe froggers

I found the Emily Lucchetti ones at the Sweet as Sugar blog, but they're noted to chewy [mine are crisp] and aren't made as I remember mine: only the fresh ginger and the dried ginger are in the dough, the dough is rolled into a 1.25" log for slicing, and the pieces of crystallized ginger are pressed into the top before baking.

I'll have to experiment when I have more time to see if I can reproduce them.

Can't find the recipe for my triple ginger cookies, and all the on-line ones don't resemble them.

Were they crispy or chewy? My favourite triple ginger cookies are from Emily Luchetti, but they're the crispy kind.

not these? joe froggers

I found the Emily Lucchetti ones at the Sweet as Sugar blog, but they're noted to chewy [mine are crisp] and aren't made as I remember mine: only the fresh ginger and the dried ginger are in the dough, the dough is rolled into a 1.25" log for slicing, and the pieces of crystallized ginger are pressed into the top before baking.

HEY! What am I?? Invisible!?

crispy emily luchetti ginger cookie recipe (same one I posted above)

not these? joe froggers

No you're not invisible: when I followed your link, it said I had used up my monthly quota of Google views, which is crazy, because I don't use Google Books. That's why I searched for her recipe elsewhere.

My full name is happily shortened to George, which is what I've been called since I was about 10 years old. I was Gigi until then, and hated it so much I was delighted to have even a slightly demented alternative. Somehow I started being called Gigi by loved ones when I was about 40 and it felt so different from the Gigi of my youth, I embraced it (though chose to write it as GG). What I simply can't abide I are the women (and it's always women) who find 'George' insufficiently feminine and insist on calling me 'Georgie'. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Do those Georgie folks also like to sing Georgy Girl to you?

Yes. And then there are the legions who think calling me 'Girl George' is terribly clever. Which it might have been, sort of, the first time I heard it sometime back in the 1980s.

I think of you as Morita. I hope this doesn't offend or even sting.

My full name is happily shortened to George, which is what I've been called since I was about 10 years old. I was Gigi until then, and hated it so much I was delighted to have even a slightly demented alternative. Somehow I started being called Gigi by loved ones when I was about 40 and it felt so different from the Gigi of my youth, I embraced it (though chose to write it as GG). What I simply can't abide I are the women (and it's always women) who find 'George' insufficiently feminine and insist on calling me 'Georgie'. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Do those Georgie folks also like to sing Georgy Girl to you?

Yes. And then there are the legions who think calling me 'Girl George' is terribly clever. Which it might have been, sort of, the first time I heard it sometime back in the 1980s.

I think of you as Morita. I hope this doesn't offend or even sting.

Not at all. I think it's kind of sweet.

not these? joe froggers

No you're not invisible: when I followed your link, it said I had used up my monthly quota of Google views, which is crazy, because I don't use Google Books. That's why I searched for her recipe elsewhere.

I realized I've used her Snappy Gingersnaps recipe and just added crystallized ginger. I found it in my recipe database

Snappy Gingersnaps Approximately 3 1/2 dozen 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1 large egg 1/4 cup molasses 4 teaspoons ground ginger 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger 2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Bake at 350F, about 13 minutes.

But I copied the ingredients to the Thin and Crispy ingredients from google books (sorry you couldn't read it!). It's almost the same

Thin and Crispy Ginger Cookies 14T (1 3/4 sticks) softened butter 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 1 large egg 1/4 cup molasses 4 teaspoons ground ginger 2" piece fresh ginger, grated 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger 1 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp kosher salt 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Also bake at 350F, but 16-18 minutes

eta--both the above recipes are scoop recipes, not slice recipes, but they're both crispy, so it might be easier to play from those recipes. The snappy gingersnaps are my favourite ginger cookies of all time, especially with crystallized ginger mixed in.

It wasn't until I looked in the last of eleven thumb drives that I found it:

Three Ginger Cookies

1 stick unsalted butter, soft

1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)

1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 Tbsp. ground ginger

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

pinch salt

3-4 pieces crystallized ginger, cut into small pieces

Cream the butter, sugar and fresh ginger together until smooth. Add vanilla. Mix ginger, flour, baking soda and salt together. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture just to combine. Form dough into log about 2" square, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm - about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice log into 1/4" slices, top each with a sliver of crystallized ginger pressed into the center. Bake until lightly golden-8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely.

IIRC, I always goose the amount of fresh ginger up a bit, and my slice of crystallized ginger covers about half of each slice of dough. Therefore, I'll need more than the 3-4 pieces called for. And I roll the log to about 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 inches.

Verizon has been encouraging people to use its high speed network, and has great hopes for bill payments over its system. So, SeekingAlpha reports:

No sooner than Verizon (VZ) says it had fixed the latest outage of its high-speed data network, it irks customers further with news it will start charging a $2 "convenience fee" for every payment made over the phone or online with their credit cards. The company says the move is necessary to help pay for "single-bill payment options." Perhaps it should have consulted Brian Moynihan first.