After loading a passel of podcasts to an MP3 player for my manager who is undergoing back surgery, I discovered that I'm missing Episode 4 of the BBC's dramatization of Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate. And of course, it's not in the Recycle Bin, or even findable on the internet, because BBC only left these up for a few days.

completing the Medicare application is such a look-at-that-person-in-the-mirror moment

(This is actually a RTBC, in response:) I keep giggling every time I ask, "Is there a senior discount? At what age does it start?" Hey, it just saved us more than $60 on a round trip to Boston in a couple of weeks, including the Acela.

Some days I feel senior, some days not. But if it saves me $$, what the hell. :lol:

Consider the alternative. :o :o

completing the Medicare application is such a look-at-that-person-in-the-mirror moment

Not quite the Medicare wake-up call, but Blovie received a welcome package from the AARP last week. He was none too happy about it.

Not quite the Medicare wake-up call, but Blovie received a welcome package from the AARP last week. He was none too happy about it.

I was receiving welcome packages from AARP as soon as I turned 50. If only I could have retired then. :lol:

I was receiving welcome packages from AARP as soon as I turned 50. If only I could have retired then. :lol:

Saved me a bunch on car and home insurance. Nothing much else of value that I have found.

(This is actually a RTBC, in response:) I keep giggling every time I ask, "Is there a senior discount? At what age does it start?" Hey, it just saved us more than $60 on a round trip to Boston in a couple of weeks, including the Acela.

Some days I feel senior, some days not. But if it saves me $$, what the hell. :lol:

Consider the alternative. :o :o

You mean, getting younger?? :lol:

Saved me a bunch on car and home insurance. Nothing much else of value that I have found.

Yeah, it doesn't give me any better discounts than AAA already did.

After spending an hour on the phone with a Verizon tech, he determined I needed a service call. As luck would have it, I already had a Direct TV service call scheduled. The Verizon guy got here promptly at 9AM..spent 10 mins and said the problem was at ttheir end and it would be fixed within the hour. Suspicios to me, why isn't their phone ringing off the hook with other unhappy customers? 7 hours later..no change. My prob is no signal from my router..fortunately I can connect through the building's master..but it's slow.

10AM call from DTV..they should be there between 2-4. 12:30, guy calls..just drove by your building but couldn't park..be back at 2 ish. It's now 4PM and no word and the place is in shambles because I moved all the furniture; so they'd have easier access.

Grrr

After spending an hour on the phone with a Verizon tech, he determined I needed a service call. As luck would have it, I already had a Direct TV service call scheduled. The Verizon guy got here promptly at 9AM..spent 10 mins and said the problem was at ttheir end and it would be fixed within the hour. Suspicios to me, why isn't their phone ringing off the hook with other unhappy customers? 7 hours later..no change. My prob is no signal from my router..fortunately I can connect through the building's master..but it's slow.

We had intermittent service on one of the FIOS boxes from Verizon. Sometimes that TV would go green screen, sometimes we'd get sound but no picture, picture but no sound.

After several telephone exchanges they sent a guy out. He said about 30% of the older boxes (with the time on front) had crapped out. Installed a new box (lunar light on the upper left) which has worked perfectly.

He mentioned a lot of the DSL residential boxes were crapping out, too.

The DTV guys just got here. Turns out I'm friendly with 1 of the installers because he often does the installations at the marina..and I'll climb ladders or hang upside down.. that he's afraid to do..and have helped him when he needed another set of hands. I have him on my speed dial cuz on a boat, the install needs a lot of patching...lot of tidal, wave action. I finally bought my own splicing kit. He's always taken good care of us and vice versa..so we're going to have a few nicer features.

The "official unveiling" of my new TV will be the Giants and Atlanta. If Big Blue doesn't win, I may be 1 of the first guys to throw a shoe through his new TV within 4 days of buying it..:)

RP, re Verizon, I don't know why they just didn't give me a new device; but more man hours have been devoted to this project than any rational human would spend.

Young adult offspring who think the couch by the woodstove is a cozy place for an extended late afternoon nap, and then get all pissy when they're woken up by the noise generated by dinner preparations (which dinner they will, of course, be beneficiaries of).

You have a nice cozy bed in a nice quiet room.

Young adult offspring who think the couch by the woodstove is a cozy place for an extended late afternoon nap, and then get all pissy when they're woken up by the noise generated by dinner preparations (which dinner they will, of course, be beneficiaries of).

Sounds something like the felines.

Ha yes. :lol:

Yeah, but at least cats give something back.

Yeah, but at least cats give something back.

those kids gacked on your carpet after dinner?