• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

The perils of gardening,and foraging....poison ivy,and I know what it looks like,and stay away,but somehow,it finds me. Nettle irritant....I wear gloves,but just one Brief Encounter,and I’ve got irritated fingers....gotta laugh,despite the annoyance.

Just received the list of alumni planning to attend a milestone college reunion. Why is it that the ones coming are the same super-rahrahs you successfully avoided during your school years?

Of course, maybe they've changed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I'VE changed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just attended my college 50th class reunion. And I too was very apprehensive about attending because of the list of those attending, few of which I really hung out with in college.

However, just as I had not yet registered, many others had held back until the last minute. It turned out to be a grand time, partly because of some last-minute registrants, including one favorite drinking buddy, and because so many of us had grown up and mellowed to the extent that we could enjoy being around each other even it we hadn't necessarily done so 50 years ago.

I must admit that this was a small college, only 365 in my entering freshman class, with 165 of those making it to graduation. Due to the small size of the school, all the students and faculty and staff knew each other . Another plus for the reunion was the opportunity I had to tell my favorite professor, who was only 5 years ahead of us and is now on the Board of Trustees, how much she had meant to me.

• Like 1

The perils of gardening,and foraging....poison ivy,and I know what it looks like,and stay away,but somehow,it finds me. Nettle irritant....I wear gloves,but just one Brief Encounter,and I’ve got irritated fingers....gotta laugh,despite the annoyance.

Nettles are very common WEEDS here but even with gloves I sometimes get itchy wrists. I've found dimetinden-based products (e.g. Fenestil) to stop the itching immediately and permanently. It's an antihistamine, so probably closest equivalent in US to Benadryl.

Thanks for this. I've only had poison oak once, and that from my country cat who decided to wrap herself around my neck. It was cute at the time, but in a couple of days I had a boa of poison oak pustules. If only I'd known where she'd been hanging out.

• 3 weeks later...

Fricking bruxism. Plus i lost my good night guard so am using an older poorly fitted one until I can pick up my new one. The left side of my jaw is so painful I can't even chew soft food without pain. On a non-annoying note, maybe I'll lose some weight!

I have a really hard bite (I ground down my canines), and it gets worse when I'm under stress. I would grind through normal night guards within a week, so they tried making thicker ones for me (which is what this one is), but I still managed to put large cracks through them, plus they were much harder to fit properly. So they finally went to a hard plastic (non-thermal) partial night guard. That's the one I lost, and also the type I'm waiting for. But it'll be more than a week till I get it, unless they can find a last minute appointment for me tomorrow!

So you finally take those 20 or 30 brand new review copies to The Strand to sell them, and carrying them to the subway gives you a back twinge which lasts 36 hours so far, and you take a store credit because that's 10% more, and you immediately buy a book with it: result, saved 2 or 3 cubit feet of space until it's filled with other stuff, and sore back.

But I can't put books in the garbage.

There's lots of great stuff we can't see putting in the garbage. So we have discovered the "lamppost", as our son calls it. You take a box of super stuff to your nearest lamppost and abandon it . By morning, it's gone.

We live on a conduit street to a neighborhood farmer's market. This morning we put two boxes of "free stuff" out in front of the house. Passersby delightedly rooted through it, fought over some, and by 3pm emptied both boxes, actually taking one.

Happy, happy.

We also sell books at Green Apple Books, a local institution. But it is becoming an increasing pain to schlep them out, wait for appraisal, dispose of what they don't want. Is the reward we get worth the effort of trying to "sell" them or are we just as well off letting someone find a treasure in our free box?