One step at a time.    On the plus side, consider it a lucky catch.

It actually was a catch, as the abdominal aortic plaque stuff showed up on a CT I had on my lower back for something totally unrelated. Forced me to head to my heart doc (yeah, I have docs for different things) and discuss; he moved me into his ultrasound area, and bam, there was the carotid stuff. The issue with the potential for going on a statin is that I already am dealing with 3 other cardiac risk factors (thanks, parents!) which sucks.

Also, I have a good friend (only 50) who recently (like last month) had a potential death situation, when his aorta basically shredded (aortic dissection, it's called); he was lucky enough to get a call into 911, and the EMTs were there in 90 seconds - 2 hours later, he was in surgery for 9 hours to repair his aorta. This shit had me on edge.

Oy.

In fact, two oys.

indeed.

• Like 1
  • Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

We live at a wonderful time...I guess.   Everything that is worth concern in my body was discovered peripherally in a CAT or MRI that was ordered to check out another situation.   As in, "Your xxx is just fine, however we noticed that your yyy shows some zzz."    At my age, I just smile and scamper.

• Like 1

I’m overdue for a physical.

I'll just share a bit wisdom a night nurse imparted to husband when he was kept overnight on heart scare.   "By time you're 40, you have to have learned your body.   Always keep this knowledge in mind."     Physicals are only sensible.   Particularly so when combined with your own awareness.

It really hurts! Plus I walked around Wat Po for three hours in the midday heat and still couldn't find my dad's Buddha. And it's a farmers burn so it looks ridiculous. Hopefully it will even out once I get the beach next week.

I think my niece, who barely walked around (she and my mom sat and rested while I looked for the Buddha) but didn't have a hat or drink much water, ended up with a bit of heat exhaustion. She was puking all morning.

Getting dismissed from state (county) jury duty make me eligible to get called for duty at federal district court.  Here, you have to call every evening during a 2-week period to see if they need you, so can't plan that weekend trip to LA with N when she goes to vote in the SA election.  The only saving grace is that this courthouse is in the Civic Center area of SF, an easy BART ride from home and work.

Getting dismissed from state (county) jury duty make me eligible to get called for duty at federal district court.  Here, you have to call every evening during a 2-week period to see if they need you, so can't plan that weekend trip to LA with N when she goes to vote in the SA election.  The only saving grace is that this courthouse is in the Civic Center area of SF, an easy BART ride from home and work.

Stephanie, can you not request a postponement of your jury service?    We frequently have done this with local and Superior Court duty.    You simply state that you are willing to serve at another specified time slot and it's always been allowed.   We usually pick a week that has a national holiday, i.e., a 4 day week -> lighter court activity.    Right now, your best bet might be Easter week when many are taking vacation.   Just a thought...

Stephanie, can you not request a postponement of your jury service?    We frequently have done this with local and Superior Court duty.    You simply state that you are willing to serve at another specified time slot and it's always been allowed.   We usually pick a week that has a national holiday, i.e., a 4 day week -> lighter court activity.    Right now, your best bet might be Easter week when many are taking vacation.   Just a thought...

Except that lighter court activity doesn't always mean a lighter work schedule for me.  I could pick July 4 week and then have some insane deadline for a client who wants something before a holiday.  While it would be nice to go to LA, I don't actually have any commitments set in stone for that time period (eg, vacation which I've already bought plane tickets for), so I might as well get it over with.  And in fact, my jury duty call period is during Easter week, so maybe I'll get lucky and they won't need me.

I'm just annoyed that, having not gotten called in years, I got called twice in less than 3 months.

Be thankful you don’t live in Las Vegas. Everyone gets called every 18 months. You can only reschedule once. In the past, it was easy to get out of it. But they decided to go from the easiest out, to the most draconian appearance rules. There is basically no chance of getting out of it unless you are on your death bed.