• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I find my hose faucet incredibly convenient (until it breaks).

Indeed - though I don't expect mine to break any time soon - it's German.  And I just cleaned the little screen thingie inside the spray head (which I try to do after the annual cleaning of our coop water tanks, or anytime there's a water shutdown and startup (the amount of craps that collects from the pipes always amazes me)); now the flow rate of this faucet is once-again awesome.

@small h - maybe buy an extra hose to have on hand, since that seems to be the weak link?  I ordered a few of those little screens, washers, etc. just to keep in the "when necessary" tool box.  Also, don't you have a shut-off under your kitchen sink? Our contractor put in a nice, easy to get to faucet to do just that in case of emergency. 

I was imprecise. The hose isn't the one inside the spray head. It's the hose underneath the sink, and that's why the water had to be shut off (according to the plumber, who may be wrong, who knows). The hose inside the spray head has never broken; until now, we'd only had to replace the spray head, 'cause the spray/stream switcher kept falling off. And according to Kohler, the faucet and hose are one unit and the whole shebang needs to be replaced.

We are in the country.   Landline is dead.  Trying to report issue to #^%*% AT&T via their internet instructions.   Giving new meaning to rat f——— and Catch 22.

”to identify yourself (besides last digits of SSN) please enter the last four digits of you account as shown on your phone bill.”    Like I carry around old phone bills....

We are in the country.   Landline is dead.  Trying to report issue to #^%*% AT&T via their internet instructions.   Giving new meaning to rat f——— and Catch 22.

”to identify yourself (besides last digits of SSN) please enter the last four digits of you account as shown on your phone bill.”    Like I carry around old phone bills...

ETA update.    AT&T will send a technician on the 16th.   Well goody.   Today is the 12th.    For this we pay $50 to receive spam calls, make perhaps 2 calls a month.   

FWIW, my cell works off AT&T but won't make calls from this location altho they put in one of those fake tree towers 2 miles up our hill.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 6:35 AM, joethefoodie said:

Indeed - though I don't expect mine to break any time soon - it's German.  And I just cleaned the little screen thingie inside the spray head (which I try to do after the annual cleaning of our coop water tanks, or anytime there's a water shutdown and startup (the amount of craps that collects from the pipes always amazes me)); now the flow rate of this faucet is once-again awesome.

@small h - maybe buy an extra hose to have on hand, since that seems to be the weak link?  I ordered a few of those little screens, washers, etc. just to keep in the "when necessary" tool box.  Also, don't you have a shut-off under your kitchen sink? Our contractor put in a nice, easy to get to faucet to do just that in case of emergency. 

i am replacing a cheap moen with a grohe pullout. the moen shockingly lasted 12 years but doesnt always sit correctly in it's dock. i bought extra hoses, washers and aerator for the grohe. i am all about keeping replacement parts on hand because things only break on friday night of holiday weekends

• Like 1
On 7/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, small h said:

We had our kitchen remodeled in 2007, and since then, the Kohler faucet has had to be replaced four times. It's lucky it's so pretty. This last was the worst - the hose sprung a leak on 6/28, which necessitated a 10pm visit from the plumber and turning off the water in the kitchen. The thing's got a lifetime guarantee (hence the multiple replacements), and I was initially told 7-10 days 'til the new one comes. Doable! Especially since we'd be upstate for part of it. The time elapsed, I called customer service, and learned that oh, gosh, the first customer service person didn't tell you? That's a VERY SPECIAL order, which has to be made special, so it's actually 3-4 weeks. Ya know, what with the holiday and all.

I'm trying really hard to unlearn my habit of blithely dirtying every damn dish in the house, because I have (had) a dishwasher. I don't mind handwashing so much, but I'm sick of trudging back and forth to do dishes in the bathtub, with everything balanced on the cutting board.

Update! We finally got a new faucet. Yesterday. 30 days, 5 online customer service chats and 1 customer service phone call after I ordered it. (I might have called more often, but my tolerance for being on hold for over an hour is low). Also, it's not the same faucet, because apparently no one at Kohler has any idea of when that one will be in stock. The new one is alright, but it's about $100 cheaper than the one we had, and it doesn't swivel. Looking back over the chat transcripts, I see that the same person who lied about the 7-10 days also lied about the 3-4 weeks. And bonus-lied that the faucet would arrive at their warehouse hours after I spoke to her for the second time, and bonus-bonus-lied that it was due to ship soon after.  I am composing a VERY INDIGNANT Instagram post AS WE SPEAK. 

It's nice have water in the kitchen again, and I'm shocked that I didn't break anything on my 27,000 forays from kitchen to bathroom, carrying plates and glasses.

• Like 2
On 7/27/2020 at 8:19 PM, theclash said:

Today in Maine it was 97 degrees, a woman was killed in a shark attack and there is a tornado warning

Yeah, I work with someone in Maine and he was telling me he changed his plans about taking his kids to the beach. Wow.

One year, fishing out of Chatham on the Cape, I saw the problem they face. These suckers are everywhere, like I couldn't believe how many of them...

DSCN0979.thumb.JPG.a4b9b5d3339842b09b8ad059b93635c4.JPG

Favorite food of the great white. Fisherman of course hate them because, well, they eat fish. And they're protected, which is a good thing I suppose.  

More seals up in Maine - more great whites and others.

Since I don't swim in the ocean, I don't worry about sharks too much. but Significant Eater and I were in Florida, and were exploring the Wakodahatchee Wetlands - her hat flew off into the water, just a few feet away. If she thought I was going in to fetch it, that wasn't happening either. Now, had we read the brochure...

Loose clothing, scarves, and hats that blow off or fall into the wetlands should not and cannot be retrieved due to the presence of alligators.