• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

A couple of hours before I was going to make pre-Yom Kippur dinner, the circuit that controls the oven, microwave, and stove, as well as my office's overhead light, shorted out.  I was able to reset the circuit breaker a few hours later, and then it shorted out again this afternoon and hasn't yet come back (7 hours later).  The electrician who took a quick look yesterday is coming back for a bigger look on Wednesday, because apparently the previous owner tried to do some of his own wiring without knowing more than the basics of electrical work and did a half-assed job of things.  Frankly, I think we're lucky we haven't gotten a fire.  At least we have a gas stovetop and can light the burners with a match.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, bloviatrix said:

In November, 2018 my oven died a week before Thanksgiving. Fortunately, I wasn't hosting. So we bought another new oven. We've had a bunch of issues with the touch pad - it's finicky. We've already had a number of service calls about it, but last week they came and replaced it and now it's even worse. Error messages pop up on the panel when the oven isn't in use. And tonight, as I tried to broil eggplant the oven turned itself off --- twice. And then the panel freezes up which requires pulling the oven out, pulling out the plug, waiting 30 seconds before plugging it back and letting it re-boot. Needless to say, we've put in a call but the earliest they can come is in two weeks. 

Oh, and Rosh Hashanah is in a week. I guess I'm not making the standing rib roast that I was planning and will making my entire meal on the range top. 

I don't know if the oven we bought is a lemon or all Samsung's are crap, but I won't be buying another.

The saga continues...

The repair guy was supposed to come last Tuesday but instead we received a call saying the truck broke down and they couldn't make it so we needed to re-schedule. Earliest they could come was today. Guy shows up at 9 am (the one who came at the beginning of the month), takes one look as says he doesn't have the parts and they need to be ordered. It will take a week. So now I'm stuck for yet another week without a reliable oven and we're still in holiday mode.

My oven is dead for now too--the igniter appears to be on the fritz.  It worked fine on Thursday, then yesterday the cake I was baking did not want to get done in the center.  After it was in there for close to 2 hours, I glanced at my thermometer and realized it never budged over 200 degrees.  (Fortunately, the hostess of the small dinner party I was attending graciously let me finish it in her oven.)  So we have a GE technician coming on Wednesday.

Received a notification from Vanguard about having to take a disbursement from a prior employer's 401K, but nowhere on the paperwork does it tell who the employer was. I call to find out and as part of their security protocol they require I provide the start date for the employer. But I don't know what job this is about!!!

On 10/4/2020 at 10:06 PM, bloviatrix said:

The earliest appointment we could get was October 12. Spouse is livid.

Spouse tweeted them. They're now coming tomorrow.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Received a notification from Vanguard about having to take a disbursement from a prior employer's 401K, but nowhere on the paperwork does it tell who the employer was. I call to find out and as part of their security protocol they require I provide the start date for the employer. But I don't know what job this is about!!!

I thought the IRS said you don't have to take RMDs this year?

• Like 1

Not an RMD. I'm not that old.

It was a minute sum of money left in an old 401K that was costing more to administer than the account was worth. Of course the cost of them cutting a check and sending it to the bank that handles my IRA will probably also cost them more than the value of the check.