• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

Cat once marked my almost irreplaceable Waverley Root, Paris Dining Guide.*

It took months of airing out to get rid of the smell.

*There's currently a used edition available for only $45. When I searched for a replacement post-cat incident, it was $200 and up.

Worse than cat "marking" is subway smell.

One rainy morning on the way to work, I dropped irreplaceable papers on the wet floor of my D train car. The pages' multicolor penciling could not be photocopied in that black-and-white-Xerox age. When I patted the pages dry at my desk, the stench was awful. I ran around the office asking my peers -- since this was trade publishing, 95 percent women -- to borrow some perfume. And learned that most women don't reapply between 9 and 5. Finally one gave me a sample spray, which I applied to the pages before forwarding them with apologies.

I may be grateful to smell the subway again. Till I run into that people "marking" smell.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, bloviatrix said:

It didn't take. Turned the oven on and lo and behold, it reached temperature (425F), held it for about 10 minutes and then then shut off with an error code. Call has already been made. I keep asking the spouse why we haven't demanded that they replace the oven already but it seems that voids the warranty and he's afraid we'll have problems with the next one. So I'm still without a working oven.

Spouse discovered yesterday that a class action suit was filed two weeks ago against Samsung about their ovens. It seems there's an issue with the thermostat.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, 2021 is off to a roaring start:

• I discovered the furnace is leaking water onto our garage floor.  It's probably been there for a while, but we had a bunch of things piled around the furnace so those just got wet and we'd never really noticed.
  • N had to take our cat Roxy to the after-hours vet at 10:30 PM because we found cat pee stains on the top sheet of the bed (the one the cats can sleep on so they don't get hair on the comforter). Roxy has an infection that is a byproduct of her chronic Bartonella infection (think something like Lyme disease for pets).
  • Apparently there are now mosquitoes in the Bay Area in January, because I got bitten under my pants leg.
3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

• Apparently there are now mosquitoes in the Bay Area in January, because I got bitten under my pants leg.

We still have mosquitos in NYC. It's bizarre but the boy has gotten bitten, I've killed two and there was one divebombing my desk early last week.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:25 PM, Sneakeater said:

Uh-oh.  It's the black-eyed peas.

All of the above happened after we ate the black-eyed peas.  Not sure I should trust the RG "super-lucky" claim--look how 2020 turned out....