11 hours ago, small h said:

Good lord. Hope you're alright.

yes, thanks! super scary and also, the realization that our high rise has no evacuation plan is pretty concerning. 

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, voyager said:

Did they remove her to someplace where she will be safe?

i'm not so concerned with her safety but i'm petty like that. she has been detained, for the time being. there have been around 40 documented incidents of her endangering the lives of residents and staff, since january. first time that she's actually having consequences, because she made the mistake of damaging valuable property. privilege rules

12 minutes ago, splinky said:

i'm not so concerned with her safety but i'm petty like that. she has been detained, for the time being. there have been around 40 documented incidents of her endangering the lives of residents and staff, since january. first time that she's actually having consequences, because she made the mistake of damaging valuable property. privilege rules

Nor am I.  By safe I facetiously meant neutralized, put/detained somewhere where she has no way to hurt others.     In the vernacular, locked up.

6 hours ago, splinky said:

yes, thanks! super scary and also, the realization that our high rise has no evacuation plan is pretty concerning. 

That's really scary.  I'm glad you're safe now.

I am so glad you are okay. And that no major damage or injuries occurred to you, your building or the residents who are on the floor with this nutcase . But damn, that is SO scary. I suppose the "good" news is that the fact that there was no evacuation plan in order has come to light. Hopefully your Board moves posthaste to get the FD in to make sure there is a viable one is put in place immediately. And that the run a few "drills' to make sure residents understand the logistics. And how long it might take them to escape if necessary. 

I was offered a really good deal on a condo in a luxury highrise here in LV...by friends whose Mom passed away suddenly. They are obscenely rich. They just wanted to be done with all the hoops that come when someone dies suddenly, money be damned. The deal was I had to actually live there for 2 years before I sold it. 2 condos per floor. 18th floor. The owner of the other condo on the floor was a senile older woman. One of the reasons I declined the offer was fear of her (unintentionally) having a major fire "incident". Looking back, I should have taken the deal. The person who eventually took the unit met her family in the hall and mentioned his reticence. That family also wanted to sell (for the current market pricing). The woman was moved to assisted living in short order. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, splinky said:

to which of my racist neighbors are you referring?

I think maybe this one

On 1/23/2014 at 11:36 AM, splinky said:

turns out my crazy neighbors who were at war with lady who smokes in our hallway, are now also at war with our brand newest neighbor. it also turns out that they are hateful racists. the new neighbors, who are doing some construction (at what are inappropriate hours according to the house rules), happen to be asian and the racial epithets are flying in the hallway. i am impressed by how specific "educated liberal" racists can get in their hate speech. they must be saving it up for decades before the floodgates open. why can't people just hate each other in silence, like the good old days?

I just have a memory of a crazy neighbor who was racist.

10 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

I think maybe this one

I just have a memory of a crazy neighbor who was racist.

nah, she's been dead for years. but i have many racist neighbors. the arsonist, who is also a racist usually assaults POC staff and residents but she's becoming more of a generalist with her attempts at mass murder. 

On 10/20/2021 at 11:21 AM, splinky said:

What else has she done? My god - that's awful. I know it's near impossible to get someone evicted in NYC, but I hope they do so in this case. I hope she isn't judgement-proof.

15 hours ago, Evelyn said:

I am so glad you are okay. And that no major damage or injuries occurred to you, your building or the residents who are on the floor with this nutcase . But damn, that is SO scary. I suppose the "good" news is that the fact that there was no evacuation plan in order has come to light. Hopefully your Board moves posthaste to get the FD in to make sure there is a viable one is put in place immediately. And that the run a few "drills' to make sure residents understand the logistics. And how long it might take them to escape if necessary. 

I was offered a really good deal on a condo in a luxury highrise here in LV...by friends whose Mom passed away suddenly. They are obscenely rich. They just wanted to be done with all the hoops that come when someone dies suddenly, money be damned. The deal was I had to actually live there for 2 years before I sold it. 2 condos per floor. 18th floor. The owner of the other condo on the floor was a senile older woman. One of the reasons I declined the offer was fear of her (unintentionally) having a major fire "incident". Looking back, I should have taken the deal. The person who eventually took the unit met her family in the hall and mentioned his reticence. That family also wanted to sell (for the current market pricing). The woman was moved to assisted living in short order. 

Thanks. I definitely want a real escape plan. I'm not on a super high floor but once I had my go bag and was ready to go, it was super unclear which was the least dangerous way out or if there was any safe way out at all. All 3 fire stairwells had issues gushing water/smoke/working firemen using them. This left me and my two neighbors who had made me their escape leader with no way to get out safely. There was also no plan for folks with mobility issues. We have people in the building who use wheelchairs and who use assistive devices for walking. One older man on a higher floor tried using the stairs without assistance with his walker. The stairs were flooded, he fell down the stairs. 

You should have bought the condo, I could have come and lived in it for you for the 2 years. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

What else has she done? My god - that's awful. I know it's near impossible to get someone evicted in NYC, but I hope they do so in this case. I hope she isn't judgement-proof.

The list is super long and super troubling. The fire might not even be the worst thing, honestly. I'll tell you over drinks sometime. We will have time for many many drinks as I go down the list. I'm told she's been charged with arson but I don't know if she's still in custody. [maybe on a psych hold but probably would not be held in jail because no one died so no bail requirement either] 

51 minutes ago, AaronS said:

really glad to hear they've been removed.

Me too. Her apartment has been sealed by FDNY/NYPD but I doubt anyone in authority has bothered to get a restraining order against her returning to the building.