Absolutely. It's irrational but I don't notice three or four bar checks at $45 including tip, but I whine about a $100 delivery of way more liquor than I drank in the bars.

And yes, homemade cocktails are more like $3 each, which usefully focuses my mind on why I like going to bars. It's sure not for the booze.

• Replies 28.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

And yes, homemade cocktails are more like $3 each, which usefully focuses my mind on why I like going to bars. It's sure not for the booze.

An absolutely valuable discussion, even dissertation.   Bars were a place I went with dates, but seldom since marriage.   Booze as a dinner accompaniment I totally understand, but going to a bar is not.    Certainly not a Puritan response but simply never occurred to me except perhaps as a resting place before a meal or a place to meet friends before dinner or an event.   

I’m a lifetime bar-goer, something slammed down by the lockdown. And I have not returned to it, partly because I found different ways to structure my time, and indeed because I found I was saving literally thousands of dollars.

But I do like a good bar. 

I have been going to bars since before I could show my real ID. With friends, with dates, with coworkers for happy hour, alone to either see if there was anyone worth meeting or to sit quietly watching other people go about their business. And with H, after a movie or before dinner or just because we need to get out of the house. But now, only very occasionally, for obvious reasons. I miss it very much, despite how cost ineffective it is.

I very strongly disagree.  Good cocktail bars have a wider range of ingredients than I could ever have at home, and skilled people making them and -- most important to me -- creating them.

It's not the same as drinking at home, just on the basis of quality.

If you're not really interested in mixology -- if all you drink are fairly simple classics -- than of course the forgoing doesn't apply.  I can certainly make a Manhattan as well as anyone.  But I never would order one at the kinds of bars I go to.

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I very strongly disagree.  Good cocktail bars have a wider range of ingredients than I could ever have at home, and skilled people making them and -- most important to me -- creating them.

Somewhat agree; though my ingredient cabinet is pretty full, there is (currently) no great homemade orgeat or grenadine, to say nothing of even more esoteric stuff.  

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

If you're not really interested in mixology -- if all you drink are fairly simple classics -- than of course the forgoing doesn't apply.  I can certainly make a Manhattan as well as anyone.  But I never would order one at the kinds of bars I go to.

Oh, come on - strongly disagree.  You've never ordered a Martini, Negroni, Manhattan, et al. out?

As a first drink, that way you know if the mixologist bartender at least knows what she is doing?

• Like 1

I have all of the ingredients at home to make a Sazerac, but sitting in The Devil's Acre on Columbus Avenue after work felt like a real luxury.  A couple of the tables outside were occupied, but there was no one inside but me and the bartender, so we got to chat and I got to feel "normal" for a bit.  THAT's what a bar means to me now.

Today's annoyances:

• Thanks to the contractors, who messed with the screen that covers our crawl space entrance in the garage, we have a rat under there.  We know it's been in the garage because it ate into a bag of birdseed N had in there.  And it chewed a hole THROUGH the mesh screen N put up, ignoring the trap she set (we don't want to use poison).  We'll see if the solid screen does the tric.
  • The ongoing FedEx staffing issues due to COVID means that the king cake I ordered from Gambino's, and paid an outrageous fee to have shipped 2-Day, is 2 days late and counting.  First-world problem, I know....

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Yes, but in most (not all) of those bars I will order something I can make at home, because that’s what I like (and why I have the ingredients to make it at home). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I have all of the ingredients at home to make a Sazerac, but sitting in The Devil's Acre on Columbus Avenue after work felt like a real luxury.  A couple of the tables outside were occupied, but there was no one inside but me and the bartender, so we got to chat and I got to feel "normal" for a bit.  THAT's what a bar means to me now.

Very well put.

2 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I

• Thanks to the contractors, who messed with the screen that covers our crawl space entrance in the garage, we have a rat under there.  We know it's been in the garage because it ate into a bag of birdseed N had in there.  And it chewed a hole THROUGH the mesh screen N put up, ignoring the trap she set (we don't want to use poison).

Steph, go to your supemartket and buy several bars of Irish Spring bath soap.    Unwrap them and place them as close to where you suspect the rat.    Your unsolicited pet will leave.    Fast.    And while you may be tempted to leave also, since Irish Spring is, ahem, strong, the scent will fade but the rodent will not return.   

We have recently "discouraged" however many country lodgers.    Good luck.

10 minutes ago, voyager said:

Steph, go to your supemartket and buy several bars of Irish Spring bath soap.    Unwrap them and place them as close to where you suspect the rat.    Your unsolicited pet will leave

Does this work on mice as well? Asking for a friend. Who is me.