My sister's husband is a nurse/PT; he's getting something together for me. My surgeon is on vacation, because of course he is.

"Left total Hip Arthroplasty via a posterior approach," sez MyChart.

One other consideration is that because I am unusually small for an adult female (but the perfect size to shop for Kmart children's Halloween costumes), I have additional hardware - a screw and a band - holding the implant in place.

• Replies 28.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

Ah, posterior.  That explains a lot.   I was surprised to hear you dislocated because "they" claim that you can't dislocate the anterior relocation.   Or thought so...

I just remember the repeated-ad-nausea precaution catechism in hospital, thought I had followed them but realize that they really don't address the real life situation.   It's much more subtle than what they say/believe.

Not sure your surgeon is of much help in this instance.    Mine and others called in just stared in wonder and asked stupid questions.  

1 hour ago, voyager said:

I just remember the repeated-ad-nausea precaution catechism in hospital, thought I had followed them but realize that they really don't address the real life situation.

My real life situation is that - like most people, I bet - I don't always think about how I'm moving. I woke up this morning with the thought that I'm going to have to pretend I'm doing parkour - always considering my next move, instead of just, ya know, moving.

I'm sorry that so many of my posts lately are about these woes. But I really appreciate everyone's sympathy/guidance/stuff to take my mind off it.

As someone who had to basically spend 6 months almost flat on my back 13 years ago due to an injury, I can tell you it will become 2nd nature to pay attention to your movements. I learned that part of my problem was unbalanced posture. I continually put most of my weight on my right leg (which also made my hips unbalanced) for hours on end due to my time in the golf world. After I stopped doing that, followed the rules the dr., athletic trainers and pt guys gave me, and worked really hard on my core muscles, things turned the corner. It was worth all of that to avoid back surgery. Because once you have one, odds are you will have more. Hopefully hips can be handled the same way (presuming everything was done correctly by your surgeon). I think you will be surprised how quickly you will adapt to noticing what your movements are. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, small h said:

Different.  First:

1925921351_halfsplit.png.e83d6df63beaed5ff7da19b530f1e6db.png

Second:

1216006324_littlemermaid.png.ae4686f9c0f8026b730dd7eddc4737ed.png

So - no  bending forward from hip over one extended leg, no sitting with knees in and ankles (or tail fins) out.

I have this info somewhere - will look for it.

Thanks for your help.

do it this way image.png.c87e850ba0b2d6ee93eb6ef911fff203.png

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

As someone who had to basically spend 6 months almost flat on my back 13 years ago due to an injury, I can tell you it will become 2nd nature to pay attention to your movements. I learned that part of my problem was unbalanced posture. I continually put most of my weight on my right leg (which also made my hips unbalanced) for hours on end due to my time in the golf world. After I stopped doing that, followed the rules the dr., athletic trainers and pt guys gave me, and worked really hard on my core muscles, things turned the corner. It was worth all of that to avoid back surgery. Because once you have one, odds are you will have more. Hopefully hips can be handled the same way (presuming everything was done correctly by your surgeon). I think you will be surprised how quickly you will adapt to noticing what your movements are. 

this^^^^^^^^. i have a wonky OEM hip that dislocates on what seems to be whim, but is mostly because i do not stand correctly. PT helps and learning to shift my weight regularly while standing and not sitting for too long and where to put my weight if i feel things going sideways. I have the advantage of body weight to force things back into place. i hope you can figure it all out, in short order 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hollywood said:

I was going to see Santigold this Thursday, but she cancelled her tour.  WTF?  Something about life on the road and the new post pandemic economics of the touring business.  Or did she not have enough advance sales?

Maybe just buy some of Santigold's tea and pretend you're at the concert?

I am (and have been for months) waiting for my new place to finish construction. I won't go into all the bullshit between building, supply chain and worker shortages. But I will say the paperwork involving a mortgage on new construction is beyond annoying thanks to the last financial/mortgage debacle. I cannot even list all the hoops I've had to jump through. But today was beyond ridiculous. I had to sign a very short form referencing my current home (including how long I've lived here) basically stating I am moving to my new build because I built it and love it. Seriously🙄 FFS...

Competitive Youth Sports is just the worst. AB^2 plays very competitive soccer (at U10 - so basically ridiculous). He wants to play an indoor derivative called futsal this winter in addition to his regular stuff. A local club, but not his club, runs a futsal program.  I email them to ask about it, telling them he can't do the open entry program because of an existing time conflict, but asking for tryout details and some information on when their "select" program is. They won't tell me what day the practices are, instead insisting I bring him in for a tryout. I asked you a direct question about something I am willing to pay you a bunch of money for. Just answer me the GD question man. If its the days he is already committed I don't want to waste his and my time. 

• Sad 1