• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

I don't think I have ever filed on any other date than any date earlier than April 15.

What is "RET TS"?

I don't know and can't find out today because the voicemail at one of the payroll office's extensions will not be checked regularly and the woman at the other extension is not in the office today. I'm pretty sure it's some retirement thing that won't affect my refund, but knowing my luck if I go ahead and file the return without checking, it will. :unsure:

To make Mongo happy (which will annoy his, because it's me), and drive up the thread count here like Martha Stewart's Egyptian cotton sheets, I will post this:

I went to My Bank (EDIT to add: it's Union Bank of California) today to make an ATM deposit. I like it because they have an ATM machine you can park next to and do everything out the window. But that would be a reason to be cheerful and I am not.

I inserted my card and punched in my PIN number. I went through a half-dozen steps in ENGLISH to make a DEPOSIT to my CHECKING account and verify the AMOUNT before the screen informed me, like Hal in 2001, that my card was somehow not validated.

Fuckity.

Into the bank I go. The teller checks, and says, despite my numerous attempts to key in my pin number, that the card ain't happening. Off I go to the Desk Over There. Irma informs me that, for inexplicable reasons, my ATM card has been killed. No. Reason. Whatsover.

Killed.

Fine and fucking thank you.

I deal with it. Who kills an ATM card without warning the person?

I later went to put gas into my car and learn that my MasterCard debit card is "not authorized" though I have plenty of money in the bank. I call the bank. They tell me that I called them today and had them cancel it. I called the bank about a month ago to ask where my new card was, since they promised it within a few days and it had been a few weeks. They sent one instantly.

So there I am, SOL and out of gas, having to listen to some rube in tech support asking me if I wasn't aware that I had cancelled my own MasterCard less than a month after I'd requested one, so that I could call the bank, in tears, asking why the hell I couldn't get my card to work at the gas station.

I find that annoying. What the _______?

Edited by tanabutler

Tana: spooky!

Even though there is still plenty money in my account (I double-checked on the website), I had my ATM card rejected for the second time in a row tonight. The teller told me my card had been reported as "lost". (I didn't do that.) Now I'm nervous. I'll be calling my bank first thing tomorrow to see what's going on.

Discovering that a merchant ran through a charge on American Express to the tune of a $391 overcharge. Attempting to explain to the dodo at American Express that I am only disputing part of the charge, and still should be charged $375. :unsure:

Calling our hotel in Anguilla to ask why they have never e-mailed me about the restaurant reservations we requested and discovering that the reason is that the reservations were never made. :blush:

Boy, do I need this vacation.

But wait, there's more. I'm just going to elaborate on the whole scene, since I spoke to a VERY UNHELPFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE REP at the bank this morning. And I'm sending this link to the bank. I hope they come back here and see what I have to say.

Last night, in the driving fucking rain, and howling wind, I had to go retrieve Logan from his pater familias's house. I was way on Empty in my gas tank, and my fucking MasterCard debit card was REJECTED, even though I have a LOT of money in the bank.

The unhelpful customer service rep, who admittedly was completely powerless, told me that I myself had closed out the card yesterday. Over the phone. Which of course I never did. He said, "Didn't you call in on February 2 to order a MasterCard debit card?"

I said, "Yes," wondering what the fuck that mattered or meant. And I said, "Why in the hell would I call to cancel a card I've had for less than a month, and then call you up, in tears and freaked out because I have no gas in my car, not knowing why my card was rejected?"

He asked my permission to help me, and I said, "How are you going to help me besides saying placating things? How are you going to make this up to me? It's late at night, and I'm out on a country road in the driving rain with no gas in my car, and I'm supposed to have a two-year-old in the back seat? And what in the hell do you suggest I do, since your idiot bank closed my ATM card with no explanation, either, yesterday? I can't touch a penny of my OWN money and I have no FUCKING GAS IN MY CAR."

Oddly, he had nothing helpful to suggest here. Then someone beeped me, so I got off the phone with him.

I called the bank this morning, and the woman I spoke to offered to express mail a new card to me. I don't need that. No one at the bank offered a single explanation as to why both my ATM card and MasterCards were closed yesterday. Not a word.

I am furious.

So I am NOT recommending Union Bank of California to ANYONE. If you've got an account there, beware. They are irresponsible and unhelpful, and I am not impressed.

Fortunately I have forgotten the details of a similar saga involving Abbey National plc in the UK, which ended with me filing a formal complaint with the Banking Ombudsman. At which point the bank finally paid attention and offered me an apology and compensation.

The truly frustrating thing is that it is just about impossible to pinpoint an individual who is actually responsible for the catastrophe, right?

Fortunately I have forgotten the details of a similar saga involving Abbey National plc in the UK, which ended with me filing a formal complaint with the Banking Ombudsman. At which point the bank finally paid attention and offered me an apology and compensation.

The truly frustrating thing is that it is just about impossible to pinpoint an individual who is actually responsible for the catastrophe, right?

Is there any equivalent to the Banking Ombudsman here, do you know?

Is there any equivalent to the Banking Ombudsman here, do you know?

I am sorry, I don't know.

I have had plenty of charges mistakenly applied to my credit cards over the years. So I can easily imagine the wrong card getting cancelled. Most likely someone called to cancel their card, and the bank cancelled Tana's instead.

Bet you used to keep it in the freezer, in an old spinach box, but then someone make it into soup and you lost it all, right? So you learned. You ain't no dummy.

You also ain't no baker. Course, if you turned on the oven, you'd know pretty darn quick, since it's a dirty sock.

My son's best friend, a senior in HS, just got kicked out of school. Apparantly he has an older brother's ID, and he bought alcohol for one of the sophomores int he dorm. when the kid got caught, he told where he got it from. the school has a one strike policy, so dismissal is in the guidelines...and they've done it before, so everyone knows that's a possibility. I still feel bad for the kid, its his HS career, his college career..and it's really shaken up the rest of the senior class. This is a small class..about 75 kids. :unsure: