• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

Tana: who knows enough of your personal details to be able to get access when s/he called to cancel your cards? Assuming that someone (clearly not you) did that, as the "customer service" reps claim.

Spooky, indeed.

I can think of someone (Bob's X) who would know the personal details, but she would not know the account number, since it's brand new.

The more I think about it, the more inadequate the bank is, for two such incidents in one day. I e-mailed them a link to my complaint in this thread, though. Asshats.

Is there any equivalent to the Banking Ombudsman here, do you know?

I am sorry, I don't know.

I have had plenty of charges mistakenly applied to my credit cards over the years. So I can easily imagine the wrong card getting cancelled. Most likely someone called to cancel their card, and the bank cancelled Tana's instead.

I assume that most credit card numbers include a checksum, so that would be quite hard to do.

What's a checksum?

Meanwhile, one TV broke down, cough came back, I managed to cut my thumb with my own fingernail, it's too fucking cold here, I am bored and I bet no-one is around to take delivery of my shoes this afternoon. :unsure:

...I managed to cut my thumb with my own fingernail...

I managed to give myself a 3-inch gash in my thigh a couple of weeks ago, with my own fingernail. I hadn't even been drinking! :unsure: It's taken weeks to heal.

Now that's some manicure.

Now, why is Abby eating skittles?

What's a checksum?

Meanwhile, one TV broke down, cough came back, I managed to cut my thumb with my own fingernail, it's too fucking cold here, I am bored and I bet no-one is around to take delivery of my shoes this afternoon.  :unsure:

A built-in redundancy in the number that allows you to check its accuracy. For example, the last three digits of the number might be the sum of the first thirteen*. If you mistakenly entered a 3 for a 5, the checksum wouldn't agree and you'd know that a mistake had been made.

*This isn't a good form of checksum because it doesn't guard against transposition of two digits, among other things. There are much more sophisticated algorithms.

Edit: Corrected to account for the fact that credit card numbers are 16 digits long.

Edit: Corrected to account for the fact that credit card numbers are 16 digits long.

Which raises the question: why so many numbers if there are only 6 billion people about, many of whom don't have credit?

Precisely because the inclusion of a checksum implies redundancy. In other words, not all 16 digit numbers are potentially valid credit card numbers.