in other words, he says: "I used to be a racist and now I'm not and neither should you be one."

how on earth did you figure this out? straightforward literal interpretations are not possible, you tell us, because this is a transcript of spoken comments--but you've managed to read between the lines of his comments anyway, and added in the missing acknowledgments of personal implication in what he describes?

I'd say the following paragraph is most explicit.

• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

from the standpoint of incentivization...isn't it a good idea not to attack someone when they announce they're repudiating a racist belief? I mean, seriously!

it would be if there was any clear indication of such repudiation. i'm not sure how you've managed to gain access to o'reilly's intentions.

in other words, he says: "I used to be a racist and now I'm not and neither should you be one."

how on earth did you figure this out? straightforward literal interpretations are not possible, you tell us, because this is a transcript of spoken comments--but you've managed to read between the lines of his comments anyway, and added in the missing acknowledgments of personal implication in what he describes?

I'd say the following paragraph is most explicit.

this?

O'REILLY: No, no, I mean, I like that soul food. I had the meatloaf special. I had coconut shrimp. I had the iced tea. It was great.
"It was the same, and that's really what this society's all about now here in the U.S.A. There's no difference. There's no difference."

that's not the next paragraph, it's the next sentence.

your reading remains mystically derived to me. and they do pay me to interpret texts for a living.

And I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship. It was the same, and that's really what this society's all about now here in the U.S.A. There's no difference. There's no difference. There may be a cultural entertainment -- people may gravitate toward different cultural entertainment, but you go down to Little Italy, and you're gonna have that. It has nothing to do with the color of anybody's skin.

i don't disagree with nathan (or rather the welshman's paraphrase of nathan) that o'reilly may have had a breakthrough moment here. but there's no apologia here, there's no self-implication, there's no awareness of the irony of the lateness of this recognition and of the fact that it is possible to be bill o'reilly and not learn this until the year 2007, and there's no sense of embarassment about any of this.

so I take it you'll now critique Bob Seger for only announcing this year that Stalin was kind of bad and that he shouldn't have supported him for the past 65 years?

personally, I think it's better to incentivize alterations in attitude.

Hold on.

Nathan: Are you saying that when O'Reilly was surprised that Sylvia's is just like any other restaurant, his surprise was that the patrons knew him and were nice to him? Not surprse that the patrons behaved themselves?

I'm saying two things:

A. the "respectful" remark is clearly about them being nice specifically to O'Reilly...considering who he is. unless you believe that O'Reilly believes that white liberals are never rude, that statement should not be taken as racist.

B. the second "surprise" part segues into a discussion of how whites need to get over stereotypes of blacks. he gives a stereotype...even attributes it to himself...and then explains that it's wrong.

You're conveniently skipping the racist bit.

First, he talked about how respectful the people at Sylvias were. I agree, that's not racist at all.

Second, he was suprised that the people at Sylvia's were just like his viewers -- polite. That is the racist part. That he is surprised that black people act like white people.

Third, he used this new-found knowledge to tell his viewers to drop their racist attitudes. A lovely humanitarian he is. Almost as insightful as Oskar Schindler who, after three years, came to the conclusion that enslaving and indiscriminately killing Jews is bad.

from the standpoint of incentivization...isn't it a good idea not to attack someone when they announce they're repudiating a racist belief? I mean, seriously!

(as for the first part, African-Americans vote consistently 90% Democrat in presidential elections...unless he's speaking at the RNC he's rationally entitled to assume that most people in the room oppose his politics)

Can you provide a cite for that percentage? And if it's supportable, I suspect a more accurate statement would be that 90% of African Americans who vote in presidential elections vote for the Democratic candidate. In any event, being African American or voting Democrat doesn't mean that one can't behave in a civilized fashion when encountering someone whose politics are different from ones own. And if expressing surprise that African Americans didn't behave like animals while in restaurant or anyplace else, for that matter, isn't racist, what is it?

so I take it you'll now critique Bob Seger for only announcing this year that Stalin was kind of bad and that he shouldn't have supported him for the past 65 years?

eh?

personally, I think it's better to incentivize alterations in attitude

what incentive can i offer bill o'reilly that his lowly paycheck at fox news doesn't trump?

I'd much rather Bob Seger apologized for making such crap music all these years.

Don't you mean Pete Seeger?

Bob Seger is only 62 years old. Do you mean Pete Seeger?

(as for the first part, African-Americans vote consistently 90% Democrat in presidential elections...unless he's speaking at the RNC he's rationally entitled to assume that most people in the room oppose his politics)

Can you provide a cite for that percentage? And if it's supportable, I suspect a more accurate statement would be that 90% of African Americans who vote in presidential elections vote for the Democratic candidate. In any event, being African American or voting Democrat doesn't mean that one can't behave in a civilized fashion when encountering someone whose politics are different from ones own. And if expressing surprise that African Americans didn't behave like animals while in restaurant or anyplace else, for that matter, isn't racist, what is it?

of course I can. or you can just look it up. basic political fact. um, I did say: "African-Americans vote consistently 90% Democrat in presidential elections" which last time I checked doesn't say anything about nonvoters now does it?

I don't see what's racist about being surprised at respectful treatment in a liberal stronghold...like I said, he could have said it about Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Bob Seger is only 62 years old. Do you mean Pete Seeger?

yup