Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

Shepard Fairey Arrested

By tagging, do they mean vandalizing?

"The street thing is an outlet for me," Fairey told the Los Angeles Times in 2007. "It's the freedom of it that's really exciting."

Winona Ryder should have tried that defense. "Stealing other people's stuff is really exciting!"

Everyone wants to do "Something Wild."

That's a matter of opinion. I think they mean slapping up one or more of his posters on a wall, fence, freeway abutment, etc.

Speaking of tagging, I pulled into an IHOP parking lot today and some wag had altered the IHOP Parking Lot sign to read "IHOPE Parking Lot."

That's a matter of opinion. I think they mean slapping up one or more of his posters on a wall, fence, freeway abutment, etc.

saw his exhibit today at the ICA and liked it very much. his art is all political and part of it is that public space is owned by all and that his message needs to be heard, absorbed, or just there to amuse. i get it. arresting him and handcuffing him for vadalizing or whatever was just plain stupid and ignorant.

the obama poster - manny garcia was on NPR the other day and seemed a bit put out that a photo that he took was so easily available to be downloaded and for fairey to use. but after seeing his work and what he does with the photograph, it is original stuff. he uses images like this all the time, in fact almost all his work is like this. it is a difficult space to negotiate between art and ownership.

his art is all political and part of it is that public space is owned by all and that his message needs to be heard, absorbed, or just there to amuse. i get it. arresting him and handcuffing him for vadalizing or whatever was just plain stupid and ignorant.

Actually, no.

saw his exhibit today at the ICA and liked it very much. his art is all political and part of it is that public space is owned by all and that his message needs to be heard, absorbed, or just there to amuse. i get it. arresting him and handcuffing him for vadalizing or whatever was just plain stupid and ignorant.

the obama poster - manny garcia was on NPR the other day and seemed a bit put out that a photo that he took was so easily available to be downloaded and for fairey to use. but after seeing his work and what he does with the photograph, it is original stuff. he uses images like this all the time, in fact almost all his work is like this. it is a difficult space to negotiate between art and ownership.

Ain't that the truth?

If I have a nice, broad wall on the side of my warehouse, facing a busy street, does that entitle the first bozo walking down the street to appropriate it as her canvas? It's my wall, after all.

If I take some of Fairey's work, duplicate it, and start selling it, I'm sure he'd be the first in line to serve me with an injunction to cease and desist.

He is going to pay a fine.. The fine is a lot less than what he would have paid for this publicity.

Ain't that the truth?

If I have a nice, broad wall on the side of my warehouse, facing a busy street, does that entitle the first bozo walking down the street to appropriate it as her canvas? It's my wall, after all.

If I take some of Fairey's work, duplicate it, and start selling it, I'm sure he'd be the first in line to serve me with an injunction to cease and desist.

Well, better Fairey's stuff than some lousy tagging. Fairey is sort of continuing the tradition of Robbie Conal, although Conal is much more political. There's a bit of a controversy these days about the cops busting decent graffiti artists and letting these folks who put "skins" on the outsides of buildings slide. Lately, the Fire Department has gotten into the act to cite the skin folks.

Ain't that the truth?

the physical wall is yours of course but the space around it, the air, belongs to everyone. if an artist uses that wall as a canvas, i don't know, i see it as a gift for humanity. i'd rather look at an image, such as fairey's work that makes me want to think, wonder, than be bombarded by ads for makeup, coffee, scotch. yes i know advertisers pay for their ad space. but as a consumer i would like a choice in what my eyes see.

my point is that is NOT what he's doing. the photo of obama and the poster he has created *are* different and each is original in its own way. don't we build on others ideas and create something new, be it technology, poetry, or a song? it seems to me it's the same thing.

his art is all political and part of it is that public space is owned by all and that his message needs to be heard, absorbed, or just there to amuse. i get it. arresting him and handcuffing him for vadalizing or whatever was just plain stupid and ignorant.

Actually, no.

it is a waste of public money to go after an artist when they are unable to stop kids walking from school dying from gunshots.

I kind of like his art, although he seems to have ripped off most of the communist/art deco propagandists of early last century. As political statements, however, I can't imagine that anyone who's gotten beyond the 8th grades finds them particularly interesting.

He does seem quite the capitalist.