Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

Shepard Fairey Arrested

NYT reviews Boston show.

It is not too difficult to discern the shadows of an Oedipal drama swimming below the surface. Here is the baffling, autocratic father represented most powerfully by the image of Andre the Giant (whose positive counterpart is the Good Father Obama). There is the beguiling, possibly dangerous mother embodied in many images of nameless, alluring female warriors. And the son is portrayed in pictures of Joey Ramone, Sid Vicious and other young rebels who would stand in for Mr. Fairey himself and who would depose and replace the Bad Father.

And here I thought he was just making posters.

• Like 1

NYT reviews Boston show.

It is not too difficult to discern the shadows of an Oedipal drama swimming below the surface. Here is the baffling, autocratic father represented most powerfully by the image of Andre the Giant (whose positive counterpart is the Good Father Obama). There is the beguiling, possibly dangerous mother embodied in many images of nameless, alluring female warriors. And the son is portrayed in pictures of Joey Ramone, Sid Vicious and other young rebels who would stand in for Mr. Fairey himself and who would depose and replace the Bad Father.

:lol:

wonder what Fairey thinks about this

Mr. Fairey's underground, alternative, stick-it-to-the-man art is now gracing the sidewalk windows of Sachs 5th Ave.

Mr. Fairey's underground, alternative, stick-it-to-the-man art is now gracing the sidewalk windows of Sachs 5th Ave.

You have time to window shop?

Taxi drove by. I didn't have time to look for any dramas swimming below the surface.

You apparently refer to this. Mr. Fairey follows somewhat in the steps of Barbara Kruger who earlier did ("I shop therefore I am") bags for Bloomies.

NYT reviews Boston show.

:lol:

wonder what Fairey thinks about this

i remember reading at the exhibit that the words that go with his posters such as Obey had no meaning that he ascribed to them. he wants people to interpret them as they may.

i guess he would approve :) it is far more entertaining.

i remember reading at the exhibit that the words that go with his posters such as Obey had no meaning that he ascribed to them. he wants people to interpret them as they may.

Wow. That's profound.

:rolleyes:

The thing that cracks me up is that he insists on selling his stuff for less than most people are willing to pay for it and then freaks out when a secondary market arises on EBay. I sort of understand why he's uncomfortable about making money from his "political" art, but why not just give the money to some cause he approves of instead of giving it to EBayer's he professes to hate?

Guest Aaron T

For those of you in Boston or near Boston, there is a great Shepard Fairey show at the ICA. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and its good. OBEY me and see it.