Facebook and employment searches

There's an article on Marketwatch by an employment lawyer which cautions against the growing practice of employer snooping on job candidate or employee activity. Although there's minimal case law so far, there are signals that litigation risk abounds.

NY, for example, protects off the job legal conduct. So, even if you don't like what a person claims to have done, you can't use it in an employment decision. Many other states restrict an employer from inquiring about medical conditions. It's doubtful that an employer could withstand a challenge if they used information about an employee's condition to justify an employment rejection.

California and other states require a consent form for a background check, and may require the information be disclosed to a candidate. Many companies don't reveal a facebook search because they don't want the employee to purge their files.

Many people have open profiles and don't have any of the privacy settings enabled. Which I don't understand. I don't want anyone to be able to search me and see what I have on my profile. As it is, I don't have much....sure there is probably too much profanity, but that's about it. I try and keep it fairly generic. Already this guy from high school is starting to piss me off. Every single time I log in he instant messages me. I hate instant messaging. There is the rare occasion where I have no problems with it...friends far away...friends wanting to talk about sensitive issues and not wanting to be heard on the phone....etc...but every single fucking time I log into Facebook. NO! I have to figure if there is a way to disable that feature. Anyone know?

I don't get it. Unless you accept someone as a “friend” on Facebook, they can't peruse your profile. Am I missing something?

yes. if you haven't actively set strong limits on who can see what aspects of your profile a lot of people can see your content.

Already this guy from high school is starting to piss me off. Every single time I log in he instant messages me. I hate instant messaging. There is the rare occasion where I have no problems with it...friends far away...friends wanting to talk about sensitive issues and not wanting to be heard on the phone....etc...but every single fucking time I log into Facebook. NO! I have to figure if there is a way to disable that feature. Anyone know?

I have one of those and he starts each "session" with "s'up?"

I want to scream. Not only is he wanting to "chill" with me, he also expects me to bring up the subject of conversation. I'm on permanent "offline" status because of it.

Already this guy from high school is starting to piss me off. Every single time I log in he instant messages me. I hate instant messaging. There is the rare occasion where I have no problems with it...friends far away...friends wanting to talk about sensitive issues and not wanting to be heard on the phone....etc...but every single fucking time I log into Facebook. NO! I have to figure if there is a way to disable that feature. Anyone know?

I want to scream. Not only is he wanting to "chill" with me, he also expects me to bring up the subject of conversation. I'm on permanent "offline" status because of it.

i hate you and i'm going to cry!

I have to figure if there is a way to disable that feature. Anyone know?

click on chat at the bottom right corner of the browser and select "go offline"

Thanks Mongo!!! I may never have to deal with creepy-stalker-guy from high school again :)

he wants you.

he wants you.

they all do, dear. It's just a matter of choosing.

There's an article on Marketwatch by an employment lawyer which cautions against the growing practice of employer snooping on job candidate or employee activity. Although there's minimal case law so far, there are signals that litigation risk abounds.

NY, for example, protects off the job legal conduct. So, even if you don't like what a person claims to have done, you can't use it in an employment decision. Many other states restrict an employer from inquiring about medical conditions. It's doubtful that an employer could withstand a challenge if they used information about an employee's condition to justify an employment rejection.

California and other states require a consent form for a background check, and may require the information be disclosed to a candidate. Many companies don't reveal a facebook search because they don't want the employee to purge their files.

at a previous no longer extant employer we would always look at someone's amazon wish list.