Facebook and employment searches

There's an article on Marketwatch by an employment lawyer which cautions against the growing practice of employer snooping on job candidate or employee activity. Although there's minimal case law so far, there are signals that litigation risk abounds.

NY, for example, protects off the job legal conduct. So, even if you don't like what a person claims to have done, you can't use it in an employment decision. Many other states restrict an employer from inquiring about medical conditions. It's doubtful that an employer could withstand a challenge if they used information about an employee's condition to justify an employment rejection.

California and other states require a consent form for a background check, and may require the information be disclosed to a candidate. Many companies don't reveal a facebook search because they don't want the employee to purge their files.

at a previous no longer extant employer we would always look at someone's amazon wish list.

this is why, i never use the internets

There's an article on Marketwatch by an employment lawyer which cautions against the growing practice of employer snooping on job candidate or employee activity. Although there's minimal case law so far, there are signals that litigation risk abounds.

NY, for example, protects off the job legal conduct. So, even if you don't like what a person claims to have done, you can't use it in an employment decision. Many other states restrict an employer from inquiring about medical conditions. It's doubtful that an employer could withstand a challenge if they used information about an employee's condition to justify an employment rejection.

California and other states require a consent form for a background check, and may require the information be disclosed to a candidate. Many companies don't reveal a facebook search because they don't want the employee to purge their files.

at a previous no longer extant employer we would always look at someone's amazon wish list.

myself i just make sure that no prospective employer knows who i am on this board

myself i just make sure that no prospective employer knows who i am on this board

so i shouldn't list MFF in the activities section of my resume with my screen name?

so i shouldn't list MFF in the activities section of my resume with my screen name?

I wouldn't even admit that you know what it is. Of course, if you just mention "mouthfuls" and they make the rookie mistake of going to mouthfuls.com, it could make for an interesting second interview.

I wouldn't even admit that you know what it is. Of course, if you just mention "mouthfuls" and they make the rookie mistake of going to mouthfuls.com, it could make for an interesting second interview.

i thought listing my adminship and my accomplishments during my term would show leadership potential

i thought listing my adminship and my accomplishments during my term would show leadership potential

Well, it hasn't done much for me.