Celebrities in your restaurant?

Finally, in walks Brian Keith and some sleazy looking friend with what looked like 6 Filipina hookers, plastic mini skirts and all. Amazing moment. I wanted to shout out "Uncle Bill! Uncle Bill!"

:lol:

I love that!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, in walks Brian Keith and some sleazy looking friend with what looked like 6 Filipina hookers, plastic mini skirts and all. Amazing moment. I wanted to shout out "Uncle Bill! Uncle Bill!"

the hookers were probably paid extra to shout that, later in the evening

the hookers were probably paid extra to shout that, later in the evening

And he'd answer back "Buffy! Jody!"

being in la, i've got a few celebrity restaurant stories. my favorite, though, was after the first time i ate at spago. i was quite wowed by the lineup. i had a couple of friends who worked at chez panisse and i asked them "how did you handle it at CP when celebrities came in? did it disrupt service?" and one said "well, we never got that many TV or movie people in, but I will tell you that the night Klaus Kinski and Werner Fassbinder came in, everything stopped cold." Gotta love Berkeley.

fassbinder or herzog?

herzog and alice waters seem to know each other. if i'm not mistaken, waters makes a cameo appearance on one of the extras on "the burden of dreams" dvd (i think), the les blank documentary on the making of "fitzcarraldo". i am referring to the wonderful "werner herzog eats his shoe". herzog, by way of negatively encouraging errol morris to finally make his first movie, had told him that he would eat his shoe if morris ever finished anything. morris went out and did it and herzog, of course, with great fanfare cooked and ate a grimy leather boot up on stage in berkeley. waters i think is one of the people who helps him prepare the shoe for consumption.

I wouldn't have expected such behavior from Stipe. Peter Buck has certainly proved himself to be capable of loutish behavior, even if he wasn't ultimately convicted.

I'm listening belatedly to R.E.M.'s latest record Accelerate right now. Pretty good!

I would not have known Stipe if I pissed on his shoe in the mens' room. If he uses the mens' room. I don't think there is any celebrity I would give more than a shit to see, be next to or talk to. But their arrogance is not as bad as that of the Bank CEO's I saw testify yesterday in front of Congress. I'd like to see them eating from trash cans and pissing in doorways on cold winter nights.

Hey, welcome back MT. I was trying to be cool and nonchalant yesterday. IMHO, the ICONOCLAST program with Stipe and Batali is still my favorite. That's the one where Stipe complements Batali for the ear-splitting restaurant music and Batali says he never, ever, reads food blogs.

waters i think is one of the people who helps him prepare the shoe for consumption.

That is correct.

I did not know that. I do remember the preparation lasted hours.

I hope the shoe was locally raised.

waters i think is one of the people who helps him prepare the shoe for consumption.

That is correct.

I hope the shoe was locally raised.

Excellent!

But, not raised by lazy surfer dude would-be farmers.

funny how it's always people who want to save the world who are the biggest c**ts, I have heard similar tales from a friend in London about Bono Christ.

Slapsie

When you're working on such a large scale, you don't have time for details (individuals). Or maybe it's just a cover for narcissistic, anti-social behavior.

That is correct.

Is it true you cooked Werner Herzog’s shoe?

It is true, that is absolutely true. I did try to cook his shoe. I tried, though I knew it was absurd.

How did you do it?

Well, the one thing that softens up meat in a beautiful way is fat, so I thought that if I could make sort of a confit of the shoe, it might work. I just got a lot of duck fat, and I put his shoe in the duck fat, and I cooked it for hours. Sadly, it didn’t soften it up enough, but there it was, cooking away in there, with lots of herbs and garlic and everything I could think of.

Did you try it?

I mean, shoe leather is shoe leather. I think I tried to take a bite and I wondered how he was going to do without a very sharp knife.

from here.

and watch the whole thing:

-ymyiRXCszc

the thing that surprises me about this story is that the staff said nothing to Mario and/or Joe the next day. things happen and is not that surprising (not the requests, not the late hours, although my guess would have been that Stipe is a great tipper). stuff happens, management/owners usually take care care of the staff (unless they are the offenders on the late-night-party-till-dawn end)

that said, Mario is an excellent tipper and i heard him say to a server "no, no, you CHARGE me. charge me for EVERYTHING" at a restaurant where they tried to comp him