Hey everyone,

I'll be down in L.A. for several days next month. 4 nights at Marriott Courtyard on Bristol in Culver City. I haven't been to this area in 20+ years but have heard it's got more than a few good restaurants. Any ideas? Will be dining with someone who like Italian/California-French (think Spago)...

Char from the PNW

culver city is hopping, restaurant-wise. probably the biggest deal is a place called Fraiche. Very good. I've also heard good things about Akasha, even though it is kind of natural-foods-y. Bottlerock is a good wine bar. Ford's Filling Station and Foundry are there but i'm less familiar with them. My personal favorite is a place called Beacon, which is run by Kazuto Matsusaka, ex-chef at Chinois and at Spago. It's not spectacular food, but very good and at a very fair price. there's probably a few more.

Guest Aaron T

Culver City has probably been the most happening spot for new restaurants in LA over the past several years, so you picked a good spot.

Casual:

If you want a casual lunch, my favorite in the neighborhood is Tender Greens. Inexpensive, simple and delicious.

The Culver City branch of Father's Office opened last year. It was opened by a former chef at Michael's, the upscale Santa Monica standard. They have an excellent beer selection and are famous for their hamburger. Outdoor seating available.

For upscale:

Fraiche Restaurant - see thread here.

Beacon - is a great Asian restaurant from an ex-Chinois on Main chef - see an old thread here. I have been there since and it has held up. The LA Times review is here.

Ford's Filling Station is another good option. LA Times review here.

If you are willing to venture farther, you are only 10-15 minutes by car from Venice.

Abbott Kinney has some great choices:

The hot new spot is Gjelina, a Mediterranean restaurant which LA Magazine, the LA Times etc have all been raving about. Very good word of mouth. LAT Review is here.

I tried AK restaurant, a new Scandinavian influenced restaurant, also on Abbott Kinney, last week. Highlights were grav lax, salad with poached egg fried in panko, and a delicious roast duck breast.

Joe's is a classic (been around for almost 30 years) that has stayed fresh. website is here.

If your friend likes Spago, the tasting menu at lunch in the courtyard is a wonderful thing on a nice day. You just need to advise them in advance if you want the tasting menu at lunch.

Second Father's Office and Joe's on Abbott Kinney.

Also, Charcoop, where are you coming from? A quick drive south to Gardena and you will have some of the most incomparable Japanese food in the state. I live in Japantown in San Francisco and for me, no visit to L.A. is complete without a visit to Shin-Sen-Gumi.

Great start...thanks to everyone..especially helpful to get a link to reviews/websites, etc. Much appreciated.

One that none of you has mentioned is Wilson. It looks good online but if it was worth a visit I'm thinking someone would have mentioned it.

Carolyn, I'm near Seattle now but originally from CA.

culver city is very close to west l.a and also to santa monica. if you have a car there's no reason to restrict yourself only to the area (though you can, of course, eat well there). for casual (though not italian/cal french) try empanada's place on sawtelle for excellent...wait for it, wait for it...empanadas.

My friends dad was the mayor of Culver City... I have never been there but, it's his birthday next week. I will see if he can get you out of parking tickets.

I'd rather him pick-up the tab on the pricey L.A. restaurants our friends will take us to..... :lol:

Great start...thanks to everyone..especially helpful to get a link to reviews/websites, etc. Much appreciated.

One that none of you has mentioned is Wilson. It looks good online but if it was worth a visit I'm thinking someone would have mentioned it.

Carolyn, I'm near Seattle now but originally from CA.

Oh yes , please go to Wilson - a little overlooked jem IMHO .

Although I haven't eaten there in about 8 months it's been pretty consistent for both lunch and dinner on previous occasions. His flavors are really bold - if there's mussels or sardines on the menu definitely get them - they've been excellent in the past. I once enjoyed a rabbit "sloppy joe" with a glass of Dolcetto for lunch that was out of this world. Hope his stuff is still as good.

Eat in the front room - there's a great photo mural of French chefs exercising . It's fabulous.

• 9 months later...
Guest Aaron T

Had dinner at Father's Office in Culver City for the first time last night. Just like the SM location they have a f'ed-up seating policy where they do not have a hostess (but they do have a bouncer) so you have to hover near tables to grab one when people are done. We managed to get one after only 5 minutes of staking out a section so we were lucky.

Did not have the burger because I am unwilling at this point to have to scrape pork product and blue cheese off my burger because the chef will make no changes or substitutions to his sacred frigging food. I had lamb skewers, and fries. Both good although I think the fries weren't special but salty and I was hungry. They also refuse to provide ketchup because their aioli is such awesome shit, god forbid if ketchup landed on their fries from heaven. I brought my own ketchup packets and encountered no problems using them (I have heard they will kick you out for this) for the fries.

I am of two minds about this place - I hate the table thing, the no customizing orders thing and the no ketchup (or mustard) thing. I do like some of the things on the menu a lot and they have an excellent beer selection. This leads to infrequent visits. I think people in LA enjoy patronizing restaurants where it is "my way or the highway". In addition to Sang Yoon at Father's Office, Sushi Nozawa comes to mind as well. "It must be the best if the chef won't make it how I like it." :ph43r:

Random demographic note, the customer base at the CC location is significantly more Asian than the SM location.

• 5 months later...

Sang Yoon, the chef owner of Father's Office was in NY last week. Melanie Grayce West caught up with him:

Mr. Yoon acknowledged that his popular Father's Office restaurant, with locations in Santa Monica and Los Angeles, could be a hit in burger-crazed New York, but there's nothing planned. "At least on paper, it's a concept that would work," he said.

What is on the menu is Lukshon, a modern Southeast Asian restaurant that he will open later this year in Culver City. He plans to elevate classic dishes like a Thai beef salad with American Wagyu and microgreens. The palate for Asian tastes has expanded dramatically, he said, and he "won't dumb down the flavors."

While in New York, Mr. Yoon likes to eat at bistros, something he said New York does better than L.A. Mr. Yoon added that he's had the whole menu at DBGB Kitchen & Bar, but chef Daniel Boulud won't cook him a burger, referencing a friendly, gourmet-burger rivalry between the two in Esquire, in which Mr. Yoon won. But it's all in jest. Mr. Boulud's spokeswoman said Mr. Yoon can come in any time and it would be an honor to serve him the burger.

• 3 years later...