American Idol 2009

Okay, what kind of pathetic person am I? I saw the chick with the flu do "Walking After Midnight" and I remembered Pickler butchering it a few years ago, and Barry Manilow's advice to her about how her all-smiles interpretation seemed to totally disregard the melancholy content of the lyrics. (He also confessed, as I recall, that he didn't know the song!)

So I was listening to it on Tuesday and thinking this year's version was better but suffered from the same defect, and then two things occurred to me:

1) I am adopting the musical taste of Barry Manilow; and

2) I must be some kind of hardcore American Idol fan to remember this shit.

What has happened to me?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(sorry in advance johnny)

Anybody who does that to Ring of Fire deserves to be keelhauled.

Last night I saw my first episode of AI that wasn't an audition episode. I reiterate what i wrote on eG, lo, these many years ago: Who, other than a 12-year old girl or Tommy's grandmother, would want to listen to these songs? Yes, this was the country episode, so, by definition, the music was going to suck. But, my God, it sucked. And then the judge's commentary? "Yo, dog." And Paula is brain-dead isn't she? I'm sure Natasha had more higher brain function when they pulled her plug* than Paula does sitting at that desk. I loved when she finished some mindless recitation of trite platitudes that were no more relevant to the performance being critiqued than a Sigfried and Roy show and Simon turned to her and said, "what did that mean?" And she handled it beautifully, "she knows what I meant." To the great applause of the audience.

Let's talk about the audience. Have you seen Requiem For A Dream? Serious. You know what I mean.

That Ring of Fire kid. At first, I hated it. Then I kind of loved it. His voice is spectacular. It was the only that wasn't pure run-of-the-mill bland K-mart singing. And I think the fact that he ended by laughing, as if he knew, made me love him a little bit. I'm sure everyone here loves what Jimi did to the Star Spangled Banner. This wasn't self-indulgent. He was basically saying, if you're going to make me sing this shit, here's what I'm going to do with it. Who originally did that version? I'm guessing he didn't arrange it.

* too soon?

Its worth pointing out that Johnny Cash took June Carters boring original but straight up country song named Ring of Fire, changed some words to make it edgier and infused it with mariachi trumpets which kind of weirded out the C&W world in 1963. Sayin, "I'm gonna record it the way I feel it"

This weeks' "Shameless Offspring Promotion" pitch:

I'm back for my weekly vote groveling: My son Adam is in this weeks elimination round. Its motown week! Lots of cool songs and mentoring by Smokey Robinson! Check it out and please vote as many times as you can to keep propelling him forward. if you have a phone modem you can download www.dialidol.com. for autmated voting. Easy and highly recommended/encouraged.

How about a dub version of "Oooo Baby Baby"?

I'll be the first to say that even though I'm not a fan of Adam's whole emo look and feel that he comes across as too smug, I really liked his song last night.

There's no doubt that he can sing. I think that he's going to make the top 3 or 4 without breaking much of a sweat

Goodbye, Megan.

(Although if she gets enough of the horny teenage boy vote --> Goodbye, Michael )

I'd rather Megan stay because she's more interesting.

Adam knows how to market himself. Does he come up with all of this by himself?? He was awesome.

I'd rather Megan stay because she's more interesting.

Adam knows how to market himself. Does he come up with all of this by himself?? He was awesome.

I'll say. Wonderful. And he's emerging as the best entertainer of them all, too. He's the only one that I find myself wondering about - what's he gonna do next? Of course, he is, and has been, a professional entertainer for years, so it shouldn't be surprising that he knows how to do it. His rendition of Tracks of My Tears was terrific, but I thought Allison's vocal was actually the best of the night.

Megan is "more interesting" than Michael for sure, but last night, she was simply dreadful. And I noticed that she has dropped her last name. Now she's just Megan Joy. Which reminded me of Alexis Grace. And how sorry I am she's gone. Thought she would have rocked Motown. If Megan goes tonight, that will leave only two women.

For that reason alone, I hope she stays.

I would put Adam as my favorite to win it right now. At first I thought it would be Lil, but she just hasn't gotten it done the last couple of weeks. If Allison can develop any sort of fan base, she should be right there with Adam on finale night.

Mr. Lambert just weighed in with this nugget:

I just found out Adam changed his song ... to one I absolutely hate. Should be interesting. Sorry about all the misleading clues!

I was sure it was McCartney & Lennon...

I just found out Adam changed his song ... to one I absolutely hate. Should be interesting. Sorry about all the misleading clues!

Good guess. I was thinking Neil Diamond and Dylan....

:lol:

Good guess. I was thinking Neil Diamond and Dylan....

:lol:

Mrs johnnyd said the internets say something about "Top Ten Downloads" having something to do with 2nites theme.