American Idol 2009

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching this season, I suspect there are a lot of these talented folks out there in a lot of cities but they resolve to leave shows like AI to the amateur suburban wanna-be-a-star types. This year could be a sea-change and we'll see better-seasoned contestants from now on. Who knows?

That's an interesting observation. There are other such shows, like "Last Comic Standing", "Rock Star: INXS" and the ones looking for a new Maria for Sound of Music revivals, that are clearly designed for professionals*. The process itself raises the profile of the event. AI really needs to do the same; the amateur night quality is boring for repeat viewers.

*Not that I ever watched these, no siree...

If I recall, the initial model was to mine the masses with huge auditions - some actual talent is bound to be filtered out, then make the cream of the crop sign something establishing royalty rates and rights for a finite period up front. People with some study or natural gifts "get a chance" but I bet the payout to AI parent is bigger and stricter than your garden variety record contract negotiation.

I think semi-established regional artists are already somewhat represented by agency and thus ineligible for AI due to prior contracts. AI want squeaky-clean slates to own for a duration that recoups the expensive auditioning and production costs. In fact, I remember someone from a couple years ago getting the axe for discovery of a prior song credit or record contract.

This is a good question to pose to Lambert Senior. Adam's best training appears to be from the informal Zodiac Show troupe who came into existance to do just their own thing,

The six-year-old "Zodiac Show" started as an underground, after-hours monthly party hosted by Los Angeles' dance and glam-rock communities that grew into an irregular series of big, one-off productions at the city's Avalon Theatre. The events revolve around a sign of the Zodiac, and they include every kind of performer imaginable, from singers, dancers and actors to comedians, jugglers, fire-eaters and high-wire acts. It's been described as a "rock 'n' roll Cirque du Soleil."

There's a video somewhere with its principles (one, a former Pussycat Doll) discussing Zodiac's inception. I speculate that there was no agency representation involved here permitting Adam to try out for AI. I agree that he has a WTF attitude too, which I prefer over the too-nervous-to-speak crowd the show usually gets. I also read somewhere that some co-workers bullied Adam into auditioning so the whole ride seems to have happened on a dare, or a hey! why-not? moment.

Good for him! :cool:

I didn't see the elimination show last week but I read an interview Danny gave to USA today in which these illuminating exchanges occurred:

Q: When the tour's over, what are we going to see from you?

A: I want to grow this foundation (Sophia's Heart Foundation, which he founded in memory of his late wife). It's the legacy of my life and my wife. I want to come out with a line of glasses and have the glasses promote the foundation.

Q: How many pairs of glasses do you have now?

A: I started the season with 15, and now I have 50 or more.

Q: Have you thought of an alternative career as an eyeglasses model?

A: I would love (that). I hope I made glasses cool for kids. That's the word I heard on the street that kids got excited about wearing glasses again.

So his run brought something positive for all the four-eyed folks out there.

He's a nice guy.

As Mrs JPW said "Why don't they just call him the winner and get it over with?"

Call me a silly fool, but I'm not so sure. He's obviously the best entertainer of the bunch and an amazing singer, but I always have the feeling that he's the featured performer at some fabulous caberet in New York when I'm watching him. He's in a different league in more ways than one. Not sure the 'Idol recording pop star' thing is going to suit his talents in the long run. I really get a sense that Kris Allen is coming on strong.

:cool:

As Mrs JPW said "Why don't they just call him the winner and get it over with?"

Call me a silly fool, but I'm not so sure. He's obviously the best entertainer of the bunch and an amazing singer, but I always have the feeling that he's the featured performer at some fabulous caberet in New York when I'm watching him. He's in a different league in more ways than one. Not sure the 'Idol recording pop star' thing is going to suit his talents in the long run. I really get a sense that Kris Allen is coming on strong.

:cool:

NYT article yesterday by Holden calls it an Elvis vs Pat Boone contest.

Very interesting finale last night. I thought Kris was just a little bit better than Adam, but I'll be happy either way.

As I said to my wife as we were watching last night, you could make the case that Kris and Adam are both equally good, they're just two different types of artists. The only question is which do you prefer, not which is more talented.

Very interesting finale last night. I thought Kris was just a little bit better than Adam, but I'll be happy either way.

As I said to my wife as we were watching last night, you could make the case that Kris and Adam are both equally good, they're just two different types of artists. The only question is which do you prefer, not which is more talented.

"Interesting finale" in more ways than one. I really enjoyed watching Simon try to figure out a tactful way to say, "Kara, your song sucks."

I was hoping that Kris would sing it a little more "folky" than he did - more slowly, either with just his guitar or even a capella. But try to put a completely different spin on it than Adam. There's absolutely no way Kris can out-rock, or out-scream Adam. Even if he wanted to, and even if that were his style, his voice just isn't strong enough.

Oh, and one more thing...

Kara, your song sucks.

Yes, Kara's song was a complete disaster. But really, why should it be any different than the other Idol finale songs? It sounded to me like something that would play over a montage in an 80's movie.

Yes, Kara's song was a complete disaster. But really, why should it be any different than the other Idol finale songs?

"Kara... you're goin' home"

As far as I'm concerned, that would be great. She annoys the hell out of me.

Yes, Kara's song was a complete disaster. But really, why should it be any different than the other Idol finale songs?

"Kara... you're goin' home"

As far as I'm concerned, that would be great. She annoys the hell out of me.

Why, because she thinks "Cryin'" is "early Aerosmith"?

Yes, Kara's song was a complete disaster. But really, why should it be any different than the other Idol finale songs? It sounded to me like something that would play over a montage in an 80's movie.

Sounded like a Meatloaf song to Miss A, I thought Poison would be a good choice.