GG Mora

Improving on Roasted Cauliflower

I happen to love roasted cauliflower, and I've got the kids and Hub hooked on it. Tonight I was feeling chuffed about cooking; a freak thunderstorm and downpour kept me from collecting haricots from the garden. So I yanked a head of white from the crisper and tossed it with oil and S&P and went looking for a little something extra on the spice shelf. Hm...fennel pollen. I generally use it for roast chicken and pork but have been seeking other uses. Tossed a teaspoon in with the cauliflower.

Delicious.

I love it too. A sprinkle of Aleppo pepper is nice, and/or some crushed garlic cloves.

Roasted cauliflower, dipped in a mix of sour cream and Suvir's tomato chutney, is heavenly.

I'm with you all, particularly with spices as opposed to alliums.

Nothing wrong with a little ancho chili, either.

450º for as long as it takes the florets to become tender and brown...

And a bit crispy. This requires tossing the florets with oil. I add a handful of slivered garlic about 20 minutes in and roast for another 10.

Toss often (not to be confused with "toss off").

450º for as long as it takes the florets to become tender and brown...

And a bit crispy. This requires tossing the florets with oil. I add a handful of slivered garlic about 20 minutes in and roast for another 10.

Toss often (not to be confused with "toss off").

ah okay--so the cauliflower does not go in whole.

i will report back in a couple of weeks with some indian variations.

Roasting whole is done round these parts sometimes, when the use of one arm is required elsewhere.

I also dig Batali's way with cauliflower more than a little: chopped in florets, WITH the green bits, too, and braised in milk with onion and pepper flakes.

so, i tried a version today:

took a head of cauliflower, broke it up into small florets, coated them with a tablespoon of ghee, and then tossed with a pinch of turmeric, chilli powder and some salt. threw in oven for 20 minutes, removed sprinkled some minced garlic, cumin seeds and a pinch of chaat masala, mixed it all up and roasted for another 10 minutes. makes a nice snack. i could see pureeing this (maybe with a touch of cream?) and serving it as a dip or as a chutney.

i could see pureeing this (maybe with a touch of cream?) and serving it as a dip or as a chutney.

I can see that too. Do you think some mustard seeds could work here too?

roasting mustard seeds for so long would make them bitter. usually in indian cooking mustard seeds are sauteed till they pop and then other ingredients immediately added to prevent them from "burning"--i don't know how that could be controlled with roasting. a way out might be to separately pop some mustard seeds in a little oil and add it to the puree. but however you do it i'd recommend not mixing cumin and mustard seeds--their flavors would clash i think, with the subtle nuttiness of mustard being overwhelmed by the cumin.

....but however you do it i'd recommend not mixing cumin and mustard seeds--their flavors would clash i think, with the subtle nuttiness of mustard being overwhelmed by the cumin.

mondo -

I just the other night tried a Madhur Jaffrey recipe for Ek Handi Ka Murgh Aur Dal, which had me blend up some rai masala – containing both brown mustard and cumin seeds (both in the mid-cooking stage and in the tarka). I haven't followed Indian cooking discussions elsewhere closely enough to know your thoughts on MJ. Do you disagree with her spice usage, or is it a regional difference kind of a thing?

And yes, I have surreptitiously begun sticking my toe in the waters of Indian cookery...largely in response to your infamous blog. I believe it may be a way to introduce some healthier dishes to my repertoire. I was the concerned that the kids might not respond well to such a different world of flavors, but so far the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Is there an Indian cooking thread on Mouthfuls, or should we start one?