Improving on Roasted Cauliflower

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried the newer varieties of cauliflower.....namely the dark purple one or the saffron coloured ones........?

Taste differences etc...?

I picked up a purple cauliflower back in the fall. No discernible difference in taste.

I wouldn't say it was obviously purple after being in a hot oven for about 40 minutes, but it was a different color than the white cauliflower. Actually, it looks nice to roast both and serve them in a bowl -- two tone.

I've also steamed the purple cauliflower. In which case it turned white. Kind of ruined the point.

Guest Suzanne F

Just like purple green beans, eh? Why bother adding the color, I wonder, when it all disappears in cooking? (Yes, yes, I know, it's fine when eaten raw. But still . . .)

Thank you all: I've a head of cauliflower for tonight, and will try some (but not all) of the suggestions here.

BTW: do you find that one head when roasted is only enough for 2 people, while it feeds more when steamed?

Edited to add: all I'm adding besides oil, and S&P is a hefty sprinkling of my own "pizza blend" -- finely ground dried basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and fennel seeds. It smells great.

But this was a really big head -- I doubt we'll eat it all. It should make a good puree, I think.

• 2 years later...

I love it too. Unfortunately my wife and kids don't. It's much more similar to broccoli than cauliflower, although the taste is far milder than broccoli and it has a certain nuttiness that I really like. It can be fragile. I usually steam it and add butter and salt.

Even if I hated the taste, I would love it for its fractal geometric makeup.

Not a roasting thing....but not long ago I made cauliflower fritters which were a hit. I posted a photo in the dinner party thread. Basically you steam cauliflower, then mash it up and add matzoh meal (or bread crumbs), egg, finely chopped onion if you like....fry this batter in small patties. I served them with spicy tomato jam.