Today I played...

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a small way...

clb

• Like 16
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a small way...

clb

Ah, that H. :huh:

v

Sweetest girl in all the world

His eyes are for you only

His eyes are for you only

His words have died before me

His words have died before me

When they walk in the park, I never can tell

When they walk in the dark, I never can tell

It's just loving - ooh loving

The sweetest boy in all the world

His life has got so lonely

Sweetest boy in all the world

His life has got so lonely

Sickest group in all the world

How could they do this to me

The sickest group in all the world

How could they do this to me

What I want I will take, what you think that you know

Oh such an awful mistake to never let go

The weakest link in every chain

I always want to find it

The strongest words in each belief

Find out what's behind it

Politics is pride too

Vagaries of science

She left because she understood

The value of defiance

When the government falls, I wish I could tell

When, oh when necessity calls, I never can tell

These words are for you only

These words have died before me

When they walk in the park, I never can tell

When they walk in the dark, you know that it never can be told

First time I heard this song was on the very first NME cassette give away called C80 which had songs by The Buzzcocks, Pere Ubu, Orange Juice etc etc on it. I listened to it on the a brand new Walkman ( just released, boy was I hip ) which I got as a present for doing well in my O Levels.

This song just killed me. I had their two self released indie singles which were jangly politico pop sold in newspaper sleeves through the nascent Virgin stores ( records in packing crates, remember?) but this was something totally new. At first sounding like MOR, then his voice just soars to that middle break. A magical experience

The first three albums remain among the greats of the 80's

S

Guest Adam Lawrence

Gartside is one of the few people who can do clever-clever and not annoy the hell out of me after a while. Paul Heaton writes great tunes but his lyrics irritate a bit too often; I fell out with Lloyd Cole eventually for similar reasons.

Guest Adam Lawrence

I don't often wish I were older, but I have the C86 album, and it's complete crap. Primal Scream's _Velocity Girl_ is fab, but the rest is all Shop Assistants this, Mighty Lemon Drops that, Close Lobsters, etc... A friend at college dismissed all that stuff as 'jangly indie wank' and I'm afraid she wasn't far wrong...

Ah, generations. I spent my youth deriding Yes, ELP and the like as "progressive hippy technoshit". Plus ca change....

You're lucky. Being a bit older I wasted a couple of years deriding Motown as "too commercial, man," before I discovered my inner Diana Ross.

Ah, generations.  I spent my youth deriding Yes, ELP and the like as "progressive hippy technoshit".  Plus ca change....

You're lucky. Being a bit older I wasted a couple of years deriding Motown as "too commercial, man," before I discovered my inner Diana Ross.

I grew up hating David Bowie and Genesis and, do you know what? when I got older, they were still crap

S

Ah, generations. I spent my youth deriding Yes, ELP and the like as "progressive hippy technoshit". Plus ca change....

I grew up hating David Bowie and Genesis and, do you know what? when I got older, they were still crap

S

Yeah, my opinion of Phil Collins only goes down.

I've got the C80 tape somewhere too (can we find a MF theme there?). In a tapes box still hiding under my desk at my parents' house? Played it on the second Walkman. Not 40 yet... :P

clb

Ahhh, so easy to deride without context. Such is youth. That's not be as critical as it sounds. I merely append that ELP, DB, and Yes were each in their own way, and some more momentarily then others, seminal, each in their own way and within their own time. Though I make no argument for what came after.

But Genesis was, errr...well, wank.

I could defend David Bowie if I wanted to. Up to a point.

1. He got some interesting and comparatively articulate lyrics into the top 10.

2. He wrote a dozen or so catchy songs.

3. Perhaps as much by luck as by judgment, as he seems to have been stoned much of the time, he did a lot to resuscitate interest in Lou Reed and Iggy Pop.

4. He was ahead of the game with short, spiky hair, and with gender games.

5. Although he will still prance about and make a fool of himself, he has developed something of a grown up career too.