Wilfrid1

Today I played...

Arianna Savall/Petter Udland Johansen: Hirundo Maris

Martin Bresnick: Music for Strings (Alexander String Quartet/Musical Elements/The Yale Cellos/Harrington String Quartet)

Djam Leeli,circa 1984,by Baba Maal and Mansour Seck,from the years when I loved and listened to African music. Suspect that was a golden age,tho I haven't kept up.

Mozart: Piano Concerti Nos. 23 & 24 (Casadesus//Szell/Columbia Symphony Orchestra/Cleveland Orchestra)

J.C. Bach: 3 Quintets/Sextet (English Concert)

Ana Sokolovic: Ciaconna/Jeu des Portraits/Cinq Locomotives et Quelques Animaux/Geometrie Sentimentale (Veronique Lacroix/Ensemble Contemporain de Montreal)

Zelenka: Fanfare in D Major//Biber: Battalia/Passacaglia in C Minor/Solo Violin Sonata/Partita VII in C Minor//Locke: Canon 4 in 2/The Tempest (Antonini/Il Giardino Armonico//Trompeten-Consort Innsbruck)

Vivaldi: La Cetra (Podger/Holland Baroque Society) (holy shit I think this is the best Vivaldi concerti album I've ever heard)

Panula/Turku Philharmonic: Finnish Orchestral Favorites (Orchestral Music by Sibelius/Madtetojo/Merikanto/Aaltolla/Kaski/Rautavaura/Kuula/Melartin/Sallinen/Jiernefelt/Klami/Knusisto)

Dvorak: Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9 "From the New World" (Belohlavek/Czech Philharmonic)

Louis Armstrong: The Complete Town Hall Concert 1947

Scriabin: Complete Etudes (Garrick Ohlsson)

Dahl/Schola Cantorum & Nordic Voices: Audiens (Choral Music by Whiteacre/Dyrud/Christophersen/Lauridsen/Rehnqvist)

Zelenski: Piano Quartet/Zarebski: Piano Quintet (Plowright/Szymanowski Quartet)

Pentangle: The Time Has Come 1967-1973 (Discs 3 & 4) (I think what attracts me to this music is the jazz rhythm section (underneath the two great guitar players) -- but shoot me, I like it)

Steve Lehman Octet: Mise en Abime

Cavalli: Missa pro Defunctis/Motets/Sonatas (Gini/Coro "C. Monteverdi' di Crema/Quoniam/Academia Dia. Pason/Contori Gregoriani) (see below)

Galuppi: 25 Harpsichord Sonatas (Ilario Gregoletto) (there's so much good music out there that none of us has heard)

People have indeed been shot for liking Pentangle.

But that's a quick, clean death compared with what awaits Genesis fans.

Pentangle played my prep-school in the mid 1960s but I don't hold it against them. Danny Thompson is a fine double bass player in any form of music.

Donald Lawrence & Co.: YRM (your righteous mind) (this may be a little slick, but listening to it, you get the happy feeling that gospel is in good hands)

Ries: Concert Overtures (Griffiths/WDR Sinfonieorchester Koln) (this is a perfect example of fairly anonymous music that you'll like if you like the genre -- here Beethovenian Classical-into-Romantic -- without its being particularly distinguished in and of itself) (so Ferdinand Ries = Sonny Stitt)

Outrageous Cherry: Wide Awake in the Spirit World: The Best of Outrageous Cherry

Allah-Las: Allah-Las

Kaki King: Glow