Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 92, 102 & 103 "Drum Roll" (Brüggen/Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century)

Chris Lightcamp:  Superbigmouth

Chopin:  Ballades Nos. 1-4/Scherzo No. 4/Polonaise-Fantasie/3 Nouvelle Études (Ax)

The Seeds:  Pushin' Too Hard

Daniel Romano:  Cold Lonely Feeling

Tomb Mold:  Planetary Clairvoyance

Rapsody:  Laila's Wisdom

Chopin:  Scherzos Nos. 1-4/Mazurkas Nos. 2, 15 & 35-38 (Ax)

Stravinsky:  Complete Music for Violin & PIano (Marwood/Adès)

Kris Davis:  Diatom Ribbons

C.P.E. Bach:  Clavier-Concerte (Markovina)

Kate Armine:  This Is My Letter to the World

can you say why not? that’s a really well regarded record.

did you listen to that because they played that festival (hospital?) in bushwick recently?

First, I bought this album, in general, because I like to check in every once in a while with particularly well-regarded entries in genres I don't much like, just to see whether my leanings have changed.  (There was a time when I didn't like Bruckner at all; now it seems like Bruckner's like a quarter of what I listen to.)

More particularly, I had really enjoyed the latest Moon Duo album, and Planetary Clairvoyance has been described as sort of psychedelicized death metal.  But it lacks the poppy/alt-classical lightness I enjoy in most music characterized as "psychedelic".

So I ended up not liking it much because it sounded too much like what I don't like about death metal:  too much technique-oriented thrashing around; too portentious and heavy; too few (like no) hooks.  That's not meant as a qualitative judgment on the genre.  Just why I personally don't enjoy it.

Górecki:  Little Requiem for a Certain Tango/Concerto-Cantata/Harpsichord Concerto (piano version)/Three Dances (Wincenc/Górecka//Wit/Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra)

Jenny Scheinman & Allison Miller:  Parlour Game

Rosa Feola:  Musica e Poesia (songs by Respighi/Martucci/Pinsuti/Liszt)

Bach:  Concertos for 3 & 4 Pianos//Poulenc:  Concerto for Two Pianos (Queffélec/Devoyon/Gauthier/Pommiier//Pailard/Orchestre de Chambre Jean-François Pailard//Hickox/City of  London Sinfonia)

Foodman:  Couldwork

Joel Cohen/Tod Machover:  Angels:  Voices from Eternity (Cohen/Boston Camerata)

Gianluisi Trovesi/Gianni Coscia:  La Misterioso Musica della Regina Loana

Sunwatchers:  Illegal Moves

Wendy Eisenberg:  The Matching Unconscious

Tchaikovsky:  Swan Lake Suite/Sleeping Beauty Suite/Nutcracker Suite (Rostropovich/Berlin Philharmonic)

Krenek:  Potpourri/Seven Orchestral Pieces/Sinfonie "Pallas Athene"/Tricks and Trifles (Steffens/Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz)