Wilfrid1

Today I played...

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I hope you check out Fred Rzewski.

Yes, I noted him too.

Haydn:  Trumpet Concerto/Horn Concertos/Divertimento a Tre (Wallace/Thompson//Warren-Greene/Philharmonia Orchestra)

Various:  Cumbia!  Bestial

L. Couperin:  Nouvelles Suites de Clavecin (Rousett)

Various:  Nigeria Afrobeat Special:  The New Explosive Sound in 1970s Nigeria

Black Quantum Futurism:  Soundwaves (these guys are fantastic)

C.P.E. Bach:  Sonatas, Rondos, and Fantasias for Connoisseurs and Music Lovers (Peter Serkin) (even better than Markovina)

On 5/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, Sneakeater said:

I hope you check out Fred Rzewski.

The People United is amazing.

Haydn:  Organ Concertos/Flötenuhren (Holzapfel/Scholz//Wieninger/Ensemble Dolce Rizonanza)

Maria Pia de Vito/François Couturier/Anja Lechner/Michele Rabbia:  Il Pergolese

Stravinsky:  Apollon Musagéte/Concerto Grosso in D (Stravinsky/The RCA Victor Orchestra)

Philip Glass:  Dance Nos. 1-5 (Reisman/The Philip Glass Ensemble)

Tommy Roe:  Its Now Winters Day (with Curt Boettcher manning the board, Tommy was too big for apostrophes)

Adam Holmes:  Compartments

Stravinsky:  Eau d'Artifice/Ode/Russian Maiden's Song/Ebony Concerto/Norwegian Moods/Circus Polka (Szigeti/Stravinsky//Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York/Woody Herman Orchestra) (it is hard to communicate how great this stuff is)

Puccini:  Manon Lescaut (Callas/Fiorvanti/di Stefano//Serafino/Coro e Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala di Milano) (Serafino's the hero here) (AND di Stefano)

Sivan Magen:  French Reflections (pieces for solo harp by Fauré/Caplet/Schoeller/Tourneir/Debussy/Mantovani (not THAT one))

Onslow:  Grand Sextour/Grand Septour (Hubeau/Marder/Nielson Quintet)

New Masters:  Reworks, Vol. 1

The Blow:  Brand New Abyss

Mahler:  Symphony No. 8 (Várady/Eaglen/Bullock/Schmidt/Rappé/Riegel/Schulte/Sotin//Tennstedt/London Philharmonic Orchestra/Eton College Boys' Choir/London Symphony Chorus) (as far as I'm concerned, this is IT:  the very best recorded performance this highly problematical work has ever received)

(Sandy) Alex G:  House of Sugar (wow this is good)

Black Quantum Futurism:  Afterlife of Events

Black Quantum Futurism:  ANTI KY-THE/RA (these guys might actually be my favorite current band -- if they're a band)

Deerhoof:  Plays Music of The Shining (unless it's these guys)

Various:  The Red Bird Story (Disc 3:  From the Vaults)

Jhené Aiko:  Chilombo (a disappointment)

Mahler:  Symphony No. 9 (Gilbert/Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra) (I didn't think Alan Gilbert had this in him)

Obregón/La Ritirata:  Il Spiritillo Brando (dance music from the courts of Italy & Spain c. 1650 by Ortiz/Falconieri/Vitali/Castello/Jacchini/Cabanilles/Selma y Salvedre/Gabrieli/Anon.) (pure pleasure)

Dexter Gordon:  The Complete Columbia Albums Collection:  Bonus Tracks

Black Quantum Futurism:  Space-Time Collapse I (as I was saying yesterday . . . .)

Speaker Music:  Percussive Therapy (great)

The last few days, I've been playing Rzewski's own recording of The People United...  He's very good on the piano, isn't he?

He's fucking titanic.

That recording comes out of a rather huge set of Rzewski-plays-Rzewski, and there isn't a thing in it that isn't well worth listening to.

But also, don't stop with his piano music.  Coming Together, Attica, and Les Moutons de Panurge are all kind of musts.

Various:  Golden Afrique Vol. 3:  Highlights and Rarities from the Golden Era of African Pop Music (1939-1988):  Jive, Jit, and Other Musical styles from the Republics of South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia (with a name like that, you know it's GOT to be good) (includes the record from which "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was stolen without attribution or payment!)

Josquin:  Missa Ave Maris Stella (Bull/Cappella Pratensis) (there's better)

Ulrich Schnauss:  Far Too Many Trains Passing By

Harrison Birtwistle:  Chamber Music (Batiashvili/Ad. Brendel/Fellner/Freston/Williams)

Blair McMillen feat. Sachiko Kato:  Multiplicities '38:  Music by Composers Born in 1938 (music for piano by John Corigliano/Joan Tower/Frederic Rzewski/Wuorinen/John Harbison/William Bolcom) (I'm struck by the same thought that always hit me when I used to go to my wife's high school reunions:  it's impossible to believe that these composers, who look like they're of wildly disparate ages, were born in the same year)

are become ocean and become desert the best places to start with john luther adams?

I can't find the stravinsky recording you recommend above, can you give me a link?

1.  For JLA, those are good places to start.  The only caveat would be if you find chamber music more congenial than orchestral music.  In that case, maybe start with the Red Arctic/Blue Veil album.

2.  As far as I know, that Stravinsky album is only available as part of a humongous box set.  Although there was no way for anybody reading it to know, I was referring to the set as a whole (so far:  I'm listening my way through) rather than that particular record (although that record is fine!).  That was disc 11 out of 56 (plus a DVD)!

Stephanie Richards:  Full Moon

Haydn:  Lira Concertos (Ruf/Lautenbacher/Nielsen/Beyer/Berndt/Uhl/Koch/Hoffmann/Irmscher)

Dua Lipa:  Future Nostalgia (this is getting good reviews HOW?)

Shostakovich:  Piano Concerto No. 1//Schnittke:  Piano Concerto//Lutoslowski:  Paganini Variations (Matsuev//R. Honeck/Kammerochester WIen-Berlin) (very good)

Valentin Silvestrov:  leggiero, pesante (Fordham/Lechner/Avenhaus/Silvestrov/Rosamunde Quartet) (I love this stuff)

Ravel/Messiaen/Stockhausen/George Benjamin/Dutilleux/Schulthorpe/Douglas Young/Tristan Murail/Takemitsu:  Piano Pieces (Peter Hill)

Moor Mother x Jewelry:  Crime Waves

Alice Coltrane:  Spiritual Eternal:  The Complete Warner Bros. Studio Recordings

The Spaniels:  Goodnight, Sweetheart 1959-1961

Black Quantum Futurism:  Telescoping Effect Pt. 1 Soundscape