Today I played...

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Herbie Hancock:  Empyrean Isles

Couperin:  Second Livre de Pieces de Clavecin: Sixième, Septième & Huitième Ordres de Pièces de Clavecin (Carole Cerasi)

Orrin Evans & The Captain Black Big Band:  The Intangible Between

Yuka Honda:  heart chamber phantoms

The Tages:  Studio

Schubert:  String Quartet No. 10/String Trios D 471 & 581 (L'Archibudelli)

Ella Fitzgerald:  The Complete Piano Duets (Disc 2) (shows the limits of her art as well as the advantages [she's not remotely convincing as the totally defeated last patron at the bar in "One for My Baby"] -- but Jesus Christ holy shit those advantages)

Telemann:  Overture in A Minor/Concerto in C Major/Concerto a 6 in F Major (Brüggen/Fleischmann//Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien) (the recorder playing here is beyond what one would even have thought possible)

Dvorák:  Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5 (Kertész/London Symphony Orchestra)

Gluck:  Don Juan -- Final Scene//Jomelli:  Fetonte -- "Ombre che Tacite qui Sede"//Haydn:  La Canterina -- "Non v'e chi Mi Aiuta"/Symphony No. 49 "La Passione"//Beck  Symphony Op. 3 No. 3//Traetta:  Sofonisba -- "Crudel, Alimé, che fate?"/"Sofonisba, che Aspetti?" (Skerath//Page/The Mozartists)

Couperin:  Second Livre de Pieces de Clavecin: Neuvème, Dixéme, , & Onzème Ordres de Pièces de Clavecin (Cerasi)

Beethoven:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 28 & 31-32/Rondo Op. 51 No. 2 (Peter Serkin)

On 8/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, Sneakeater said:

Ella Fitzgerald:  The Complete Piano Duets (Disc 2) (shows the limits of her art as well as the advantages [she's not remotely convincing as the totally defeated last patron at the bar in "One for My Baby"] -- but Jesus Christ holy shit those advantages)

What's the best version?

Vaughan Williams:  Serenade to Music (orchestral version)/Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"/The Lark Ascending/Fantasia on Greensleeves/English Folk Song Suite/Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis (Ehnes//Manze/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra) (I'm no fan of English cowpatch music -- but even I have to concede this is pretty great) (how a former Baroque period-instruments violinist became the greatest Vaughan Williams interpreter of his generation is one of those Eternal Mysteries Of Music)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience:  Electric Ladyland

Bach:  Cello Suite No. 1//Beethoven:  Cello Sonata No. 3/Minuet in G Major//Brahms:  Cello Sonata No. 2 (Casals/Schulhof/Horszowski)

Mozart:  Sonata for Piano Four Hands//Schumann:  Fünf Stücke im Volkston//Mahler:  Piano Quartet//Mozart:  Piano Concerto No. 25 (Martha Argerich and Friends)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse:  Colorado (it's better to burn out than it is to rust -- but it's better still to just go on forever)

Cage:  Chess Pieces/Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano//Rietti:  Chess Serenade (Leng Tan)

Anthony Gatto:  The Making of Americans (Dagmar/Stein/Calloway/Munn/Echelard/Mueller/Greenwald//JACK Quartet//Pinkcard/Zeitgeist)

Bach:  Ein Feste Burg Ist Unser Gott/Christ Lag in Todesbanden/Gott der Herr Ist Sonn un Schild (Herreweghe/Collegium Vocale Ghent) (Martin Luther might have been an unregenerate anti-Semite who should rot in hell for that, but he was a pretty good lyricist, within his limitations)

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 49 "La Passione", 51-52 & 55 "The Schoolmaster" (Goberman/Vienna State Opera Orchestra)

Giles, Giles & Fripp:  The Cheerful Insanity of (when I think that this moderately delightful whimsical pop outfit mutated into King Crimson, I want to cry)

Žibuoklé Martinaityté:  In Search of Lost Beauty... (FortVio) (this is REALLY good)

Albert Ayler:  Bells

Albert Ayler:  Prophesy -- Expanded Edition

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 49 "La Passione", 51-52, 55 "The Schoolmaster" - 57, 60 "Il Distratto" & 65/Acide e Galatea Overture (Goberman/Vienna State Opera Orchestra)

Empyrean Atlas:  Empyrean Atlas

Various:  The Rough Guide to Fado Legends

Katia Guerreiro:  Nas Asas do Fado -- 10 Anos

Thiago Nassif:  Mente

Laura Nyro:  More than a New Discovery

Villa-Lobos:  String Quartets Nos. 3, 8 & 14 (Cuarteto Latinoamericano) (the Cuarteto Latinoamericano really are great)

Nono:  Djamila Boupacha/Haydn:  Symphony No. 49 "La Passione"/Grisey:  Quartre Chants pour Franchir le Seuil (Barbara Hannigan/Ludwig Orchestra)

Moor Mother:  "Free Jazz for the Free Doomed"

Laura Nyro:  Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

Brahms:  Haydn Variations//Dvorák:  Piano Quartet No. 2//Martucci:  Tema con Variazioni//Smetana:  Sonata for 2 Pianos, 8 Hands/Rondo in C (Martha Argerich & Friends)

Tony, Caro and John:  All on the First Day

Beach/Elgar:  Piano Quintets (Ohlsson/Takács Quartet) (worthy of all the accolades this release is getting -- but let's face it, Late Romantic chamber music only gets so good)

Brigitte Fontaine:  Brigitte Fontaine Est . . .

Khruangbin:  Mordechai

Kehlani:  It Was Good Till It Wasn't

Milford Graves & Bill Laswell:  Space/Time --  Redemption (I wish I could convey to you how sheerly fucking great this sounded through my new amp)

Hank Mobley:  The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-70 (Disc VII)

Daniel Romano:  Workin' for the Music Man

serpentwithfeet:  Apparition

Various:  The Rough Guide to Latin Lounge

Freitas Branco:  Symphony No. 2/After a Reading of Guerra Junqueiro/Artificial Paradises (Cassato/RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra)

Koechlin:  Les Heures Persanes (Stott)

Lorraine Ellison:  Sister Love:  The Warner Bros. Recordings (I love her, but she does get to be a bit much over the course of three discs)

Luzzaschi:  Madrigals, Motets & Instrumental Music (Profeti della Quinta)

Kenny Barron & Mulgrew Miller:  The Art of the Piano Duo Live

Žibuoklé Martinaityté:  Horizons

Danilevskaia/Sollazzo Ensemble:  Firenze 1350:  A Medieval Florentine Garden

Chiarra Granata et al.Haydn and the Harp (vocal and chamber music with harp by A-M Krampholtz/Haydn/Kozeluch/Ragué/Exupëri de La Maniere/S. Dussek/Bochsa)

David Torn:  Prezens

Toshio Hosokawa:  Meditation -- to the victims of Tsunami/Nach dem Sturm/Klage/Autumn Wind (Elmark/Eerens/Fujimara/Tajima//Markl/Basque National Orchestra)

Domeniconi:  Concerto Mediterraneo/Oyun/Trilogy/Toccata in Blue/Chaconne (Amadeus Guitar Duo//Piollet/Staatskapelle Halle//Malát/Manheim Kurfilzische Chmber Orchestra) (meh)