Today I played...

Juliana Barwick:  Will

Kraus:  Complete Solo Piano Music (Brautigam) (great stuff)

Ginastera:  Concerto Argentino/Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Nissman//Kiesler/University of Michigan Symphony Orchestra)

Cedar Walton:  The Trio Vol. 3

Simon Linné:  L'Art du Théorbiste:  Music for the Theorbo (by Bartolotti/le Moyne/de Visée/Anon.)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Empyrean Atlas:  Poly Rush

Cream:  Fresh Cream (mono)

Couperin:  Second Livre de Pièces de Clavecin:  Douzième Ordre/Troisiéme Livre de Pièces de Clavecin:  Trezième e Quatorzième Ordres (Cerasi)

Lido Pimienta:  La Papessa

Villa-Lobos:  String Quartets Nos. 7 & 15 (Cuarteto Latinoamericano)

Empyrean Atlas:  Poly Rush 

Hank Mobley:  The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1964-70 (Disc VIII)

Spirit:  Spirit

Mendelssohn:  Lieder ohne Worte Books 1-4 (Brautigam)

Cream:  Fresh Cream (stereo) (demonstrating two things:  (1) in 1966, pop producers and engineers still didn't understand -- or likely care about -- stereo; the mono mix is infinitely superior;  (2) Cream was actually a pretty good pop/rock band -- but as a blues band they were horrendous:  their "Spoonful" and especially their "Rollin' and Tumblin'" are disgraceful)

Spirit:  The Family that Plays Together (back in the day, I thought this was better than their debut) (it isn't)

Villa-Lobos:  String Quartets Nos. 2, 12 & 16 (Cuarteto Latinoamericano)

Fantastic Negrito:  Have You Lost Your Mind Yet?

Schmelzer/Graindelavoix:  Ossuaries:  Office for Elizabeth of Hungary by Pierre de Cambrai

oui ennui:  Saccades

Makaya McCraven:  Universal Beings E&F Sides (he really is all that)

Stravinsky:  Symphony of Psalms/Symphony in C (Stravinsky/CBC Symphony Orchestra/Festival Singers of Toronto) (this was a very important album to me when I was first getting into classical music, and it was nice to make its reacquaintance in this splendid remastering)

Khruangbin:  The Universe Smiles Upon You (I just don't think these guys are so great)

Steve Kuhn Trio:  Wisteria

Wôlfl:  Piano Sonata Op. 33 No. 3//Clementi:  Piano Sonata Op. 50 No. 1//Hummel:  Piano Sonata No. 3//Dussek:  Piano Sonata "Élegie Harmonique sur la Mort de Son Altesse Royalle Pirince Louis-Ferdinand de Prusse"/Musical Illustrations (Bavouzet)

Kaia Saariaho:  Tocar/Cloud Trio/Light and Matter/Aure/Graal Théatre (Jennifer Koh et al.)

Durante:  Concerto in E Minor per Archi e Continuo//Leo:  Vado dal Piano al Monte/Sinfonia Concertante/Concerto for 4 Violins//Porpora:  Il Ritiro (Milanesi//Sasso/Insieme Strumentale di Roma)

Sessions:  Duo/Violin Sonata//Mennin:  Sonata Concertante//Blackwood:  Second Violin Sonata (Zukofsky/Kalish/Blackwood) (not the guy who wrote "A" -- the son of the guy who wrote "A")

Brigitte Fontaine feat. Art Ensemble of Chicago:  Areski

David Virelles:  Mbókò

Prokofiev:  Violin Sonata No. 2//Debussy arr. Griguoli:  La Mer//Medtner:  Piano Quintet//Mores arr. Petrasso:  Taquito Militar (Marta Argerich & Friends)

Couperin:  Troisième Livre de Pièces de Clavecin:  Quinzième, Seiziéme e Dix-Septième Ordres (Cerasi)

Stravinsky:  Orpheus/Apollo (Stravinsky/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 92 "Oxford" & 96 (Goberman/Vienna State Opera Orchestra)

Handel:  Duetti e Terzetti Italiani (Invernizzi/Frigato/Bauer//Bonizzoni/La Risonanza)

Phillips/Nicholas/Choir of Merton College, Oxford:  The Merton Colllection:  Merton College at 750 (choral music by Ériks Eśenvalds/Dunstable/Sheppard/Arvo Pärt/Parry/Byrd/Gibbons/Berkeley/Purcell/Vaughan Williams/Stanford/Mundy/James Lavino/Greene/Ola Gjeilo)

Secret Machines:  Now We Are Nowhere

Juliana Barwick:  Healing Is a Miracle

City Girls:  City on Lock

X:  Alphabetland (what were the chances that the original line-up would make a reunion album in 2020 that was actually good?  Well they didn't:  this is great)

Dorothea Oberlinger/Ensemble 1700:  French Baroque:  Versailles 1700-1740 (concertante and chamber music featuring recorder by Blavet/Hottenterre/Hottenterre "La Romain"/Boismotier/Chédeville/de Visé/Couperin/Marais/Philodor/Durnel)

Kreek:  The Suspended Harp of Babel (Tulve/Vox Clemantis)

Weigl:  Symphony No. 5 "Apocalyptic Symphony"/Phantastisches Intermezzo (Thomas Sanderling/Rundfunk-Sinfonieorcehster Berlin)

Freidel/Royal Scottish National Orchestra:  Great Comedy Overtures (by Hérold/Nicolai/Wolf-Ferrari/Thomas/Rezniček/Flotow/Auber/Lortzing/Cimarosa/Adam/Cornelius arr. Mottl)

George Coleman:  Manhattan Panorama

Clarice Jensen:  The Experience of Repetition as Death

I tried some Poulenc thanks to Alex Ross, but didn't like it.

Guillaume Dufay, on the other hand, I did enjoy. That was thanks to a mention in a biography of David Jones. The poet.