Today I played...

God I love Poulenc.  I’m almost sorry about all the attention he’s now getting, as I’ll lose my Secret Stash (like when some personal favorite old obscure single shows up on a movie soundtrack and now you have to share it with everybody).

Jones actually covered Dufay on one of his post-Monkees solo albums. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Dvorak:  Symphonies Nos. 6 & 7 (Kertész/London Symphony Orchestra)

Serge Gainsbourg:  Love on the Beat (he really was too adaptable to current fashions, wasn't  he?) (also, I don't speak French, but even so I could tell that "Lemon Incest" is, um, questionable)

Villa-Lobos:  String Quartets Nos. 5, 10 & 13 (Cuarteto Latinoamericano)

Frank Sinatra:  Nice 'n' Easy (if this really was just an auto-pilot contract-fullfiller, as some claim, then what a supreme artist Sinatra was to come up with something so surpassingly excellent nonetheless)

Brahms:  Cello Sonatas Nos. 1 & 2/Violin Sonata No. 3 trans. for Cello (Ax/Ma) (not as great as the Rostropovich/Serkin -- but still pretty great)

Herbie Hancock:  Maiden Voyage (as great as  you think)

On 8/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, Sneakeater said:

God I love Poulenc.  I’m almost sorry about all the attention he’s now getting, as I’ll lose my Secret Stash (like when some personal favorite old obscure single shows up on a movie soundtrack and now you have to share it with everybody).

Jones actually covered Dufay on one of his post-Monkees solo albums. 

Stop it.

Kaitlin Aurelia Smith:  The Mosaic of Transformation

Haydn:  Folksong Arrangements:  Scottish Songs for William Napier (Anderson/MacDougall/Haydn Trio Eisenstadt) (Disc 1) (this is obviously one of those huge multi-disc sets offering endless pleasures)

Various:  A Slight Disturbance in My Mind:  The British Proto-Psychedelic Sounds of 1966 (Disc 1) (and this, I'm both surprised and sorry to say, is not)

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 98, 107 "Symphony A" & 108 "Symphony B" (Goberman/Vienna State Opera Orchestra)

Various:  Choro 1906-1947 (this, on the other hand, is a taste of paradise)

Redd Kross:  Redd Kross EP

oui ennui:  œqc

Herbie Hancock:  Speak Like a Child (I've been stupidly disregarding this wonderful album for more than 50 years!)

Haydn:  Folksong Arrangements:  Scottish Songs for William Napier (Anderson/MacDougall//Haydn Trio Eisenstadt) (Disc 2)

João Gilberto:  The Warm World of João Gilberto:  The Man Who Invented Bossa Nova -- Complete Recordings 1958-1962

Bill Frisell:  Valentine

Nelson Frieire:  Encores (fuck this is good)

Friderica van Stade & Judith Blegen:  Sing Arias and Duets

Various:  The Rough Guide to Blues Women

Shostakovich:  Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Ibragimova//Jurowski/State Academic Orchestra of Russia "Evgeny Svetlanov")

The Strokes:  Comedown Machine

Kneebody:  The Line

Nat King Cole:  Hittin' the Ramp:  The Early Years (1936-1943)  (Disc 1) (OK, the subsequent Capital stuff is even better -- but I wouldn't want to be without a second of this)

James Francies:  Flight (not for me)

Various:  A Slight Disturbance in My Mind:  The British Proto-Psychedelic Sounds of 1966 (Disc 2)

Open Mike Eagle:  What Happens When I Try to Relax

Mahler:  Symphony No. 9 (Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra)

Duruflé:  Prélude et Fugue sur la Nom d'Alain/Messiaen:  La Nativité du Seigneur/Le Banquet Céleste/Apparition de l'Église Éternelle (Alain//Baviére/Sinfonie an der Regnitz der Bamberg)

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 3/Bagatelle in C Major/Six Ecossaises (Kempff/Berlin State Opera Orchestra//Van Kampen/Berlin Philharmonic)

I shouldn't have felt so alienated posting about jogging through LIC/Greenpoint's graffiti-mural streets to find my childhood houseboat. 

Today I've wandered back into the scratchy recordings of Edward M. Favor, part of a morass of 78s I leeched in the Napster days. His 1907-ish "The Girl Who Threw Me Down" reminds me that, even though I was house-hunting there and in Astoria, I wasn't wanted.

"It was in Long Island City / I got the throw down from Kittie / She handed me my twenty-three out in that lonely town. / If she'd accepted me maybe, I'd not have cared for the lady/ But just because she had no use for me, I wanted sweet Kittie Brown."

girl who threw me down.jpg

Oneness of Juju:  African Rhythms 1970-1982

The Callas feat. Lee Ranaldo:  Trouble and Desire

Nat King Cole:  Hittin' the Ramp:  The Early Years (1936-1943) (Disc 2)

Margaret Köll/Il Furibondo:  The Harp in the Vienna of Maria Theresa (music featuring harp by Wagenseil/Gluck/Haydn/Krupholz)

Immanuel Wilkins:  Omega (this really IS all that)

Spirit:  Clear

Julian Lage:  Love Hurts

Charles Curtis:  Performances & Recordings 1998-2018 (pieces for or featuring cello by Éliane Radigue/Machaut/Hume/Ganassi/Terry Jennings/Feldman/Webern/Messiaen/Alison Knowles/Maxfield/Charles Curtis)

Khruangbin:  Hasta el Cielo

Rolling Blackouts C.F.:  Sideways to New Italy

Alain:  Ballade en Mode Phyrgien/Aria/Le Jardin Suspendu/Lamento/Berceuse sur Deux Notes qui Cornent/Climat/Monodie/Andante/Chante Donné/De Jules Lemaitre/Fantasmagorie (1ère version)/Variations sur un Thème de Clément Jannequin/Première Fantasie/Suite pour Orgue/Deux Danses à Agnes Yavishta/Petite Pièce/Variations sur "Lucis Creator" (M-C Alain) (I really do love this stuff)

Dvorak:  Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9 "From the New World" (Kertész/London Symphony Orchestra)

Steve Tibbetts:  The Fall of Us All