Today I played...

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Lee Mallory:  Many Are the Times

TENET:  Uno + One:  Italia Nostra (vocal music by Monteverdi/Castaldi/Rossi/Castello/Pesenti/Kapsberger)

Gene Pritsker's Sound Liberation:  Varieties of Religious Experience Suite

Tchaikovsky/Rimsky-Korsakov/Rachaminov:  Songs (Gritskova/Prinz)

Nicolas Bougaïeff:  The Upward Spiral

Matt Evans:  New Topographies

Sondre Lerche:  Sondre Lerche

Lisa de la Salle:  Bach Unlimited (pieces for solo piano by Bach/Encho/Poulenc/Rousell/Liszt)

Hopkinson Smith:  Mad Dog (works for lute by J. Johnson/Holborne/Byrd/Dowland)

Garth:  6 Cello Concertos (Tunnicliffe//Beznosiuk/Avison Ensemble) (some of the most English music imaginable)

Wagner arr. Debussy:  Der Fliegende Hollander:  Overture//Wagner arr. Pringsheim:  Gotterdamerung:  Siegrieds Tod/Schlussszene//Wagner arr. Dukas:  Tannhauser:  Bacchanal -- Der Venusberg//Wagner arr. Reger:  Tristan und Isolde:  Vorspeil und Liebestod (Duo Tal & Groethuysen)

Ives:  Symphony No. 1 (Dudamel/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

Obnox:  Niggative Approach

Dvorák:  String Quartets Nos. 5 & 6 (Stamitz Quartet)

The Raiders:  Indian Reservation (REALLY awful)

The Raiders:  Collage (not anywhere near as good as its stupidly inflated reputation among popsters would have you believe)

Brahms:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3 (Chailly/Gewandhausorchester)

Haydn:  Scottish Songs for George Thomson (Lorna Anderson/Jamie MacDougall/Haydn Trio Eisenstadt) (Disc 7)

Lina/Raül Refree:  Lina_Raül Refree

Various:  Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs Present "Occasional Rain"

Cornelius:  Point

Jordi Savall/Hespèrion XXI:  Musica Nova:  Harmonie des Nations 1500-1700 (pure musical heaven)

Eddie Henderson:  Shuffle and Deal (ladies and gentlemen, on the piano, Mr. Kenny Barron!)

de la Rue:  Four Part Motets/Missa "Cum Iocundiate"/O Salutaris Hostia/Ave Regina Celorum/Delicta Juventis (Hillier/Hilliard Ensemble) (de la Rue should be better known)

Nick Garrie:  The Nightmare of J.B. Stanislas (not as good as its reputation)

Michael Finnessy:  Pious Anthems & Voluntaries (Nethsingha/The Choir of St. John's College, Cambridge)

Amel Larrieux:  Infinite Possibilities

Michael Daugherty:  This Land Sings (Sokolofsky/Daugherty//Miller/Dogs of Desire)

Rampal/Arimany/Ritter:  Romantic Music for Two Flutes & Piano (by Doppler/Kuhlau/Mozart/Böhm/Hugues/Bellini-Doppler)

Brahms:  Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 (Chailly/Gewandhausorchester)

Arca:  KiCk i (fab)

Lassus:  Motets & Chansons (Hillier/Hilliard Ensemble) (another album that was huge [in its field] when it came out that still sounds great)

Herbie Hancock:  Imagine Project (yuck)

Christina Pluhar/L'Arpeggiata:  Orfeo Chamán

Brandy Clark:  Your Life Is a Record

Ives:  Symphony No. 2 (Dudamel/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

Fleetwood Mac:  Then Play On (a really good record!)

Mahler:  Orchestral Songs (Susan Graham/Thomas Hampson//Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

serpentwithfeet:  Apparition

The Klezmatics:  Jews with Horns (after repeatedly posting its cover, I had to play it, right?) (especially during Rosh Hashanah dinner)

Marcin Fleszar:  Rameau Schumann (shouldn't work) (does)

Dvorák:  String Quartet No. 1/Terzetto (Stamitz Quartet)

Jordi Savall/Hespèrion XXI:  Orient-Occident II:  Hommage à la Syrie

Various:  The Rough Guide to East Coast Blues

Marcello:  Requiem in the Venetian Manner (Bressan/Academia de li Musica)

The Beach Boys:  Wild Honey

Fleetwood Mac:  Kiln House (most of the non-Velvets-tradition hard rock records I liked from the turn of the '70s sound like shit now -- but not these Fleetwood Macs)

Simon Finn:  Pass the Distance (keeping the psych in psych-folk:  how did any of us get out of that decade intact?)

Emmanuel Pahud/Paul Meyer/et al.:  Vienne 1900 (chamber music by Korngold/Zemlinsky/Mahler/Berg/Schoenberg)

Dessau:  Die Verurteilung des Lukullus (Schreier/et al.//Kegel/Leipzig Radio Orchestra & Chorus) (tonight Lucullus dines with Lucullus . . . for the last time)

Bobbie Gentry:  The Delta Sweete (this is GOOD)

Teenage Halloween:  Teenage Halloween

Ashley:  Crash (Bell/Kidambi/McCorckle/Pinto/Ruder/Simons//Hamilton)

Monteverdi:  L'Incoronazione di Poppea (Antonacci/Daniels/Vise/Michael//Bolton/Bayerische Staatsoper)

Rosco Mitchell & The Now Factory:  Far Side

Schubert:  Octet (Mozzafiato & l'Archibudelli) (I love wind music, and I love Schubert.  So it's always been a surprise to me that this piece -- I find it hopelessly baggy -- has left me totally unmoved.  This is the first performance that has made me see some good in it.  Which is itself a surprise, since I'm generally skeptical of period-instrument performances of Romantic music.)

Brahms:  Tragic Overture/Intermezzi Nos. 1 & 4 (orch. Klengel)/Haydn Variations/Liebslieder Walzer Suite/Symphony No. 1 -- II. Andante (original version)/Academic Festival Overture/Hungarian Dances Nos. 1, 3 & 10 (Chailly/Gewandhausorchester) (at last I realize that these brightly-lit recordings benefit from triad mode)

Lutoslawski:  Symphony No. 1/Silesian Triptych/Jeux Variations/Chntefleurs et Chantefables/Postludium I (Pasichnyk//Wit/Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra) (we'd all be happier if we listened to more Lutoslawski)

Sibelius:  Lemminkäinen Legends/Tapiola (Segerstam/Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra) (Segerstam:  he's the man in this repertoire)

Lassus:  Penitential Psalms (Hillier/Hilliard Ensemble)