Today I played...

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I guess I avoid that problem by sticking to the incredibly antiquated expedient of only listening to music I own.  (I'm not trying to be superior or anything about this.  It's nothing more than a habit.)

That would certainly solve my problem, but since I don’t only read books or watch movies I own, let alone only look at paintings I own, it seems a bit arbitrary.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Monteverdi:  Vespro della Beata Virgine (Green Mountain Project) (the January 2020 recording:  a complete triumph, if you ask me)

Leonard Cohen:  Live in Dublin

Kammel:  String Quartet No. 2//Boccherinni:  String Quartet No. 2//Abel:  String Quartet No. 5//Pleyel:  String Quartet No. 9 (Scheinkvartetten)

Ali Akbar Khan:  The Rough Guide to Ali Akbar Khan

Petterson:  Symphonies No. 8 & 10 (Segerstam/Norrköping Symphony Orchestra)

The Klezmatics:  Possessed (amazingly good even for this great band with its full original membership in its prime)

The Velvet Underground:  The Velvet Underground (promotional mono pressing)

Fasch:  Quartets & Concertos (Ensemble Marsyas)

Amanda Shires The Problem

Never thought I'd hear a song about a couple having a conversation about the woman having an abortion. Released today on International Safe Abortion Day. 

Heartbreaking, powerful and empathetic. 

Bach:  Complete Sonatas for Violin and Obbligato Harpsichord (Podger/Pinnock)

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 7/Overtürre "Die Geschöpee des Prometheus" (Bernstein/Vienna Philharmonic)

Mozart:  Symphony No. 40//Die Zauberflötte -- "O Zittre Nicht"/"Die Hölle Rache"//Piano Concerto No. 20//Serenade No. 15 "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"//Serenade No. 10 "Gran Partita" (Lippe/Lefébure//Furtwangler/Berliner Philharmoniker/Vienna Philharmoniker)

Schulhoff:  Concerto for Piano & Small Orchestra/Concert Doppio for Flute & Piano/Concerto for String Quartet & Wind Ensemble/Beethoven's Rondo a Capriccio "Die Wut über den Verforenen Groschen" (Zichner/Zoon/Leipziger Streichquartett//Kluttig/Deutches Symphonie-Orchester) (making up for listening to a Nazi collaborator during Break the Fast by listening to music composed by a Nazi murder victim)

Brother Ah:  Divine Music (Disc 1:  The Sea)

Chevalier de Saint-Georges:  Excerpts from L'Amant Anonyme/Violin Concerto Op. 3 No. 1/Symphony Op. 11 No. 1//Leclair:  Violin Concerto Op. 10 No. 4:  Allegro//Gossec:  Symphony "Pastorale" (Lamon/Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra) (jeez cut the "Le Mozart Noir" shit:  it's insulting)

Strauss:  Til Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche/Don Juan/Tod und Verklärtung (Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra)

Weinberg:  Symphony No. 4/Rhapsody on Moldavian Themes/Sinfonietta No. 2 (Chmura/National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Katowice)

Beach Boys:  Little Deuce Coupe

Bettye Levette:  Blackbirds (here's where mitchells and I converge)

Gabriela Lena Frank:  Suenos de Chambi:  Snapshots for an Andean Album/Cuatros Canciones Andinas//Shostakovich:  Violin Sonata (Guibbory/Eyton-Jones/Rubinsky/Ketter/Kopelman)

Layale Chaker & Sarafand:  Inner Rhyme (this is really really good) (really really REALLY good)

• Like 1

Stravinsky:  The Rake's Progress (Raskin/Young/Rearden/Sarfaty//Stravinsky/Royal Philharmonic & Sadler's Wells Opera Chorus)

Monteverdi:  Secondo Libro dei Madrigali (La Venexiana)

Black Thought:  Streams of Thought Vol. 2

Bach:  The Well-Tempered Klavier Book One (Horszowski)

Various:  Space Echo:  The Mystery Behind the Cosmic Sound of Cabo Verde Finally Revealed

Brahms:  Serenades Nos. 1 & 2 (Chailly/Gewandhausorchester)

Seven Teares:  Power Ballads

Brother Ah:  Divine Music (Disc 2:  Meditation)

Arthur Moon:  Arthur Moon

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 (Bernstein/Vienna Philharmonic)

Fleetwood Mac:  Bare Trees (this might now strike me as even better than I remember it -- and I loved it back in the day)

Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog:  What I Did on My Long "Vacation"

Angel Bat Dawid:  Transition East

Locate S,1:  Stay Away From Music:  Covers Under Quarantine

Beverly Glenn-Copeland:  Primal Prayer

Tobias Picker:  Keys to the City/And Suddenly It's Evening/Cello Concerto (Denk/Watkins//Sanderling/Russian Philharmonic Orchestra)

Earl Hines:  Tour de Force

Ives:  Concord Sonata//Barber:  Piano Sonata (Marc-André Hamelin feat. Jaime Martin)

Gassmann:  Divertimenti//Mozart:  Oboe Quartet (Krejcí/Panocha Quartet)

L. Boulanger:  Clairières dans le Ciel/Les Sirènes/Renouveau/Hymne au Soleil/Pour les Funérailles d'Un Soldat/Soir sur la Plaine (Hill/Ball//Wood/New London Chamber Choir)

Esquivel:  Missa Hortus Conclusus/Marian Antiphons/Motets//Ceballos:  Hortus Conclusus (Dougan/De Profundis)

Mozart:  Fantasias in C Minor/Fantasia & Fugue/Fantasia in D Minor/Rondo in D Major/Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Loriod//Boulez/Orchestre de Dumaine Musical) (yeah, that's right:  Boulez conducting Loriod in Mozart in like 1962!)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 3 "Eroica"/Egmont Overture/Coriolan Overture (Bernstein/Vienna Philharmonic) (if you're me, you don't want to be seen to be getting too worked up about mainstream classical recordings -- but oh my this stuff is fabulous)

Brahms:  Violin Concerto/Double Concerto (Kavakos/Repin/Mørk//Chailly/Gewandhausorchester)

Kalevi Aho:  Symphony No. 3 "Sinfonia Concertante"//Mussorgsky arr. Kalevi Aho:  Songs and Dances of Death (Salminen//Vänskä/Lahti Symphony Orchestra)

Monteverdi:  Terzo Libro dei Madrigali (La Venexiana)

Ella Fitzgerald:  The Lost Berlin Tapes (it's actually hard to process what a great musician Fitzgerald was)

Scarlatti:  2 Keyboard Sonatas//Bach arr. Hess:  "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"//Chopin:  Nocturne No. 8/Waltz No. 2/Piano Sonata No. 3//Liszt:  Petrarch Sonata//Grieg:  Piano Concerto (Lipatti//Galliera/Philharmonia Orchestra) (Horszowski is probably my ATF pianist, but Lipatti isn't far behind)

Sarah Kirkland Snider:  Mass for the Endangered (Crouch/Gallicantus)

Brother Ah:  Divine Music (Disc 3:  Searching)

Various:  Senegal 70

Lucrecia Dalt:  No Era Sólida

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 5 & 8/Fidelio Overture (Bernstein/Vienna Philharmonic)

Peter Ivers:  Nirvana Peter (better than his others) (which is not to say good)

C.P.E. Bach:  Complete Piano Trios (Linos Piano Trio)