Today I played...

Haydn:  Folksong Arrangements:  Welsh Songs for George Thomson (Anderson/MacDougall/Haydn Trio Eisenstadt) (Disc 13)

Handel:  Il Trionfo dei Tempo e del Disinganno (York/Bertagnolli/Mingardo/Sears//Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano)

Bruckner:  Symphony No. 8 (Thielmann/Vienna Philharmonic)

700 Bliss:  Spa 700

Kohler/HR Brass:  Demilitarized Zones:  Marches

William Parker:  Voices Fall from the Sky (Disc 3:  Essence)

Sabine Devieihle/Alexandre Tharaud:  Chanson d'Amour (songs by Fauré/Poulenc/Ravel/Debussy) (as near to perfect as no matter)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Strauss:  Also Sprach Zarathustra/Don Juan/Vier Letze Lieder/Ein Alpensonfonie/Till Elulensiegels Lustige Streiche/Salome:  Dance of the Seven Veils (Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic) (some of the best performances of total junk -- this Also Sprach Zarrathustra in particular must be one of the greatest orchestral recordings ever made -- I've ever heard)

Various:  Surrender to the Rhythm:  The London Pub Rock Scene of the Seventies (Disc 2) (speaking of rockist . . .)

Andie Tanning:  Dandelion (violin music by Mary Kouyoumdjian/Leaha Maria Villareal/Marks/Jacob Richman/Erik DeLuca)

Dennis Brown:  Love & Hate:  The Best of Denis Brown

Dvorák:  String Quartets Nos. 10 "Slavonic" & 14 (Stamtiz Quartet)

Rossini:  Soirées Musicales/Péchés de Vieillesse (Persson/Doufexis/Ford/Vignoles)

Aretha Franklin:  I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (she also never made a record the way she made this -- which is not to suggest she didn't keep being great beyond all description)

Gerald Clayton:  Happening:  Live at the Village Vanguard

Mozart:  Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 4/Piano Sonata No. 11 "Alla Turca"//Liszt:  Piano Sonato (Loriod//Boulez/Orchestre du Domaine Musical)

Fleetwood Mac:  Mystery to Me (unlike Bare Trees, this does NOT sound as good as, much less better than, it did back when it was new and I loved it)

Vivaldi:  Cello Concertos RV 416, 420 & 423/Cello Sonata RV 42//Leo:  Cello Concerto in D Major//Platti:  Cello Concerto WD 657 (Sol Gabetta//Andres Gabetta/Capella Gabetta) (someday the rest of the world will join me in adoring the Leo cello concertos)

Beabadoobee:  Loveworm

Dvorák:  String Quartets Nos. 12 "American" & 13 (Stamitz Quartet)

Earl Hines:  Tour de Force

Chopin:  Études//Schumann:  Novelettes (Loriod) (you know what?  She was really good even when not playing Messiaen)

Roy Wood & Wizzard:  Main Street (almost good)

Gounod:  Suite Concertante/Pedal Piano Concerto/Fantasie sur l'Hymne National Russe/Danse Roumaine (Prosseda//Shelley/Orcehstra della Svizzera Italiana)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 1 (Bernstein/New York Philharmonic)

Q-Tip:  Amplified

Sweelinck:  Fantasias, Toccatas & Variations (Egarr)

Bomba Estéreo:  Amanecer

Philip Glass & Ravi Shankar:  Passages

Albéniz:  Iberia//de Falla:  Noches en los Jardines de España//Schoenberg:  Suite//Henze:  Concerto per il Marigny (Loriod//Rosenthal/Orchestre de Théâtre de l'Opera de Paris//Boulez/Naulais/Deplus/Montaigne/Ghestem//Albert/Orchestre du Domaine Musical) (one of the best recordings I've heard of the de Falla -- and of the Schoenberg, too)

Monteverdi:  Quarto Libro dei Madrigali (La Venexiana)

Cornelius:  Sensuous

Aretha Franklin:  Spirit in the Dark

Beabadoobee:  Space Cadet

John  Coletrane:  Blue Train

Peter Stampfel & The Bottlecaps:  Demos '84

Mozart:  String Quartets Nos. 16 & 19 "Dissonance"/Saltzburg Symphony No. 1 (Quartour Van Kuijk)

oui ennui:  "For T-2 (Not for Nothing)"

Schumann:  Symphonies Nos. 3 "Rhenish" & 4 (Sawallisch/Philadelphia Orchestra)

Jonzi:  Shiver

Hellinck:  Missa Surexit Pastor Bonus//Lupi:  Salve Celeberrima Virgo/Quam Pulchra Es/Benedictus Dominus Deus Israel/Te Deum Laudamus (Rice/Brabant Ensemble)

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 1-3/Die Geschöpe des Prometheus Overture/Coriolan Overture/Egmont Overture/Die Ruienen von Athen -- Overture & Marcia alla Turca (van Immerseel/Anima Aeterna) (I was ready for these to be wan and undercharacterized -- but they're some of the best HIP Beethoven I've heard:  really exciting) (I'm not looking forward to the Ninth, though)

Artemis:  Artemis

Serge Gainsbourg:  You're Under Arrest (this is a grisly thing to say, but maybe, for the fan -- unlike, say, with Leonard Cohen -- it was a good thing he died)

Schumann:  Manfred Overture/Violin Concerto/Andante & Variations//C. Schumann:  Songs (Kovakos/Hampson/Smith/Batacigli/Miller/Buchbinder//Sawallisch/Philadelphia Orchestra) (I'd hate to have to make a definitive choice between this and Sawallisch's previous Dresden Schumann symphony cycle -- but I'll say this:  if there's a better recording anywhere of the chamber Andante & Variations, I hope someone will tell me)

Jongen:  Symphonie Concertante//Franck:  Fanataisie in A/Pastorale (Murray//de Waart/San Francisco Symphony) (guilty pleasures are still pleasures)

Ribera:  Magnificats & Motets (Skinner/De Profundis)

Elgar: Symphony No. 1 (Davis/London Symphony Orchestra)

Schmidt:  Symphony No. 1 (P. Järvi/Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra)

Brahms:  Clarinet Sonatas Nos. 1 & 2//Widmann:  Inermezzi for Piano (Widmann/Schiff)

Widor:  Organ Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 (Roth)

DAOUI:  MESSAGE FROM THE DAOUI

Clipping.:  Visions of Bodies Being Buried (OK, so we have to accept the fact that the best hip-hop band this side of RTJ is fronted by someone who starred in Hamilton) (although he was in Clipping. first)

Fleetwood Mac:  Heroes Are Hard to Find

Beethoven:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 6, 7 & 10 (Kovakos/Pace)

Bach:  Brandenburg Concertos (Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano) (I'm pretty sure this is now my favorite recording of these ever)

Thumbscrew:  The Anthony Braxton Project

MIchi Wiancko:  Planetary Candidate (this is great!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 36 "Linz" & 40//Haydn:  Symphony No. 59 "Fire" (Dorati/London Symphony Orchestra/Bath Festival Orchestra)

Bruce Springsteen:  Letter to You (enough already)

Ives:  Psalms (Creed/SWR Vokalensemble Stuttgart)

Fred Frith:  Gravity

Schmidt:  Symphony No. 2/Notre Dame -- Intermezzo (P. Järvi/Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra)

George Russell:  New York, N.Y.

George Russell:  Jazz in the Space Age

George Russell:  Stratusphunk