Today I played...

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos 4 & 5 (van Immerseel/Anima Aeterna) (a little bit of vibrato wouldn't have been amiss)

Smetana:  String Quartets Nos. 1 "From My Life" & 2 (Stamitz Quartet)

George Russell:  George Russell Sextet (N.Y.C. 1961)

Fasch:  Overture Symphonies (Rémy/Les Amis de Phillippe)

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Stravinsky:  Pulcinella (Jordan/Shirley/Gramm//Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony Orchestra) (this being one of my personal favorite pieces, it's odd that this recording has eluded me until now -- especially as it turns out to be one of the best)

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 45 "Farewell", 81 & 94 "Surprise" (Dorati/London Symphony Orchestra/Bath Festival Orchestra/Phiharmonia Hungarica)

Vivaldi:  Violin Concertos RV 187, 221, 227, 235, 366, 387 (Chauvin/Le Concert de la Loge) (sort of like LeB, I'm mostly bored with these when I'm not listening to them)

Vierne:  Organ Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 (Roth)

Bloodmist:  Sheen

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8 (van Immerseel/Anima Aeterna)

Stravinsky:  Persephone (Zorina/Molese//Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

Schmidt:  Symphony No. 3 (P. Järvi/Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra)

Winkie:  Come to My Party

Joel Ross:  Who Are You?

Graupner:  Overture GWV 451/Trio GWV 203/Sinfonia GWV 571 (Rampe/Nova Stravaganza)

J. Pavone String Ensemble:  Lost and Found

On 10/30/2020 at 3:45 PM, Sneakeater said:

He's really good, right?

I think it's puzzling how underappreciated he is now.

Yes, if I'd heard of him, I'd forgotten. Just listened to Chromatic Universe.

Also, DJ Spooky, Riddim Warfare.

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" (Bernstein/New York Philharmonic)

Guarnieri:  Concertino/Chôro/Sonatina No. 4/Danse Negra/Preludes Nos. 22, 24, 30, 45, 46 & 49 (Pagano//Freeman/Czech National Symphony Orchestra)

Gutbucket:  A Modest Proposal

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 100 "Military", 101 "The Clock" & 103 "Drum Roll"//Mozart:  Symphony No. 51 -- Allegro (Dorati/Philharmonia Hungarica/Bath Festival Orchestra)

Aretha Franklin:  Young, Gifted and Black (I don't think I remembered how titanic this album is)

J.C. Bach:  Oboe Concerto No. 1/Flute Concerto/Bassoon Concerto (Robson/Brown/Ward//Halstead/Hanover Band)

Ives:  Symphony No. 3 "The Camp Meeting" (Dudamel/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

Ron Miles:  Rainbow Sign

Mahler:  Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" (Bayrakdarian/Hunt Lieberson//Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

Carl Stone:  Baroo

A. Power/L. Power/Stotijn/Stockholm Syndrome Ensemble:  Voices of Angels (vocal and instrumental pieces by Brett Dean/Sofia Gubaidulina/Rachmaninov/Bach/Wagner/Schnittke)

Pagannini:  Quartets for Strings & Guitar Nos. 1 & 9-13 (Quartetto Pagannini) (crap)

Various:  Musik Music Musique -- 1980:  The Dawn of Synth Pop (Disc 1) (also crap)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 7/Die Weihe des Hauses Overture (van Immerseel/Anima Aeterna)

Various:  Surrender to the Rhythm:  The London Pub Rock Scene of the Seventies (Disc 3)

Mysilevecek:  Oboe Quintets Nos. 1-3/String Quartets in A Major & D Major (Hrabánková/Doležal Quartet)

The Earl Hines Trio feat. Roy Eldridge & Coleman Hawkins:  Grand Reunion Recorded Live at the Village Vanguard

Zemlinsky:  String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2/Maiblumen Blühten Überall (van der Meere/Schoenberg Quartet)

Various:  Musik Music Musique -- 1980:  The Dawn of Synth Pop (Disc 2) (it's amazing how many naked David Bowie imitators there were in 1980)

Corelli:  Sonatas da Chiesa Opp. 1 & 3 (Avison Ensemble)

Gold Dime:  My House

Hauschka:  What If

Salieri:  26 Variationen Sull'Aria "La Follia di Spagna"//Hummel:  Double Concerto//Vorišek:  Symphony in D Major (Contzen/Schuch//Goebel/WDR Sinfonieorchester)

Robert Johnson:  Phonograph Blues (by far the best transfers yet of these recordings) (people who think that kind of "audiophile" stuff doesn't matter should hear this)

Beethoven:  String Quartet No. 13/Große Fuge (Tokyo string Quartet) (1991 recording) (some of the only music in the Western tradition that’s as good as Robert Johnson)

Jimmy Heath:  Love Letter (this would have been a gorgeous late statement even if Heath hadn't droppied dead virtually upon completion and turned it into a testament:  beautiful beautiful stuff)

Various:  Musik Music Musique -- 1980:  The Dawn of Synth Pop (Disc 3)

Zimmermann:  Symphonies in E Minor, B-Flat Major & C Minor (Ehrhardt/L'Arte del Mondo)

Chaminade:  Trio No. 3//Françaix:  Piano Trio//Debussy:  Piano Trio//L. Boulanger:  D'Un Matin de Printemps (Atos Trio)