Today I played...

C. Stamitz:  Clarinet Concertos Nos. 1, 7, 8 & 11 (Brunner//Stadlmair/Münchener Kammerorchester)

Martha Argerich & Friends:  Live from Lugano 2016 (Disc 1)

Quelle Chris:  Ghost at the Finish Line

Ginastera:  Popol Vuh/Cantata para América Mágica (Dupuis//Bugalo-Williams Piano Duo//Asbury/Ensemble S/Scagzeugensemble der Musikhochschule Köln)

Martinu:  String Quartets Nos. 4-6 (Stamitz Quartet)

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

C. Stamitz:  Clarinet Concertos Nos. 2-6 & 10/Concerto for Violin & Clarinet/Concerto for Clarinet & Oboe (Brunner/Chumachenco/Thunemann//Stadlmair/Münchener Kammerorchester) (you can't imagine this pleasant if inconsequential music having been better played in C. Stamitz's day)

Various:  Mission San Francisco Xavier:  Opera & Misa de los Indios (Garrido/Ensemble Elyma/Coro de Niños Cantinores de Córdoba) (GREAT stuff)

Brahms:  Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 (Jochum/Berlin Philharmoniker) (the people who assert these are the best recordings ever of the Brahms symphonies have a point)

Martha Argerich & Friends:  Live from Lugano 2016 (Disc 2)

Joseph C. Philllps/Numinous:  The Grey Land (fab)

George Russell:  Ezz-Thetics

George Russell:  The Stratus Seekers

George Russell:  The Other View

Graupner:  Partitas Nos. 2 & 8/Partitas in G Major & D Minor/Aria (Soly)

Lutoslawski:  Symphonic Variations/Mala Suita/Symphony No. 2/Piano Concerto (Paleczny//Wit/Polish National Symphony Orchestra)

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 7-9 ("Rasumovsky" Quartets), 10 "Harp" & 11 "Serioso" (Tokyo String Quartet)

Schubert:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 (Böhm/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Phillip Glass:  Recent Recordings (various)

Martha Argerich:  Live from Lugano 2016

Chen Yi:  Chinese Rap (Kennesaw State University School of Music)

Various:  The Rough Guide to Brazilian Lounge

Axial:  Axial (wow this is REALLY good)

Schubert:  Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 "Tragic" (Böhm/Berliner Philharmoniker) (the least tragic anything labelled "tragic" in probably all of Western culture)

Gluck:  Orfeo ed Eurycide:  Dance of the Blessed Spirits//Beethoven:  Symphony No. 5//Mendelssohn:  A Midsummer Night's Dream:  Scherzo & other incidental music (Toscanini/Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York)

of Montreal:  The Sunlandic Twins

Mayr:  Gioas (Brown/Seller/Frey/Burkhardt//Hauk/Simon Mayr Chorus & Ensemble/Bavarian State Opera Chorus) (everything is totally forgettable except the tune that's directly ripped off from Cosi, which is memorable cuz you already know and love it)

Price:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4 (Jeter/Fort Smith Symphony) (showing that boring mainstream classical music is boring even when written by a Black woman)

Joni Mitchell:  The Early Years (1963-1967) (Disc 5) (it's 1967, and you go to a folk club in Ann Arbor, and you hear this 23-year-old with no albums out sing these songs with that voice:  what do you think?   Other than that you're the luckiest person in the world?)

Rosemary Standley/Dom Le Nena:  Birds on a Wire (when I'm in a particularly bougie mood, music like this is my favorite thing)

Micah Thomas:  Tide

Mendelssohn:  A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture//Bach:  Orchestral Suite No. 3:  Air on a G String (not what you're thinking)//Schubert:  Rosamunde:  Ballet Music No. 2/Die Zauberharfe Overture//Wagner:  Lohengrin Prelude/Tristan und Isolde:  Prelude und Liebestod//Strauss:  Til Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (first, this silences all controversy:  Furtwängler was the best ever, period) (second, these remasterings are far better than what we'd expect from a major label:  these ancient recordings sound amazingly good) (third, what better to listen to on Thanksgiving than a famous Nazi collaborator?)

Rancid:  Life Won't Wait

Everly Brothers:  Down in the Bottom:  The Country Rock Sessions 1966-1968 (Disc 3:  Roots) (one of the great early country-rock albums -- meaning one of the only great country-rock albums) (one of the great albums of 1968) (I LOVE this album) (the bonus tracks are pretty fab as well)

Houston Person:  I'm Just a Lucky So and So

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 12 & 14 (Tokyo String Quartet) (might I opine that No. 14 is the greatest music ever written by a white European male?)

Jenny Scheinman:  Jenny Scheinman

Spohr:  Symphonies Nos. 7 & 9/Erinnerung an Marienbad (Griffiths/NDR Radiophilharmonie Hannover)

Mendelssohn:  The Hebrides (Fingal's Cave) Overture & Rehearsal//Berlioz:  La Damnation de Faust -- Marche Honroise//Schubert:  Rosamunde -- Entr'acte No. 3//Bach:  Brandenburg Concerto No. 3//Rossini:  La Gazza Ladra Overture//Brahms:  Hungarian Dances Nos. 1 & 10//Dvorak:  Slavonic Dance No. 3//Weber arr. Berlioz:  Auforderung zum Tanz//Wagner:  Gotterdämerung -- Trauermarch (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (who knew Bach sounded so much like Bruckner?) (still the greatest)

Kneebody:  Anti-Hero

Véronique Gens/I Giardini:  Nuits (vocal and instrumental music by Lekeu/Fauré/Berlioz/Tombelle/Massenet/Saint-Saëns/Chausson/Liszt/Ropartz/Widor/Louiguy/Messager/Hahn) (a totally enchanting recital)

Bliss:  Piano Quartet/Viola Sonata/Oboe Quintet (Donahoe//Daniel/Maggini Quartet)

Carole Cerasi:  Treasures of the Empfindsamkeit (music for solo clavichord by C.P.E. Bach/Müthel/Mozart/Haydn)

Cimarosa/Donizetti/Bellini/Dittersdorf/Salieri:  Clarinet Concertos (Hollinger//Maag/Bamberger Symphoniker//Furi/Camerata Bern)

Carla Bley Big Band:  Looking for America

Rachid Taha:  Bonjour

Tchaikovsky:  Orchestral Suites Nos. 1-4 (Dorati/New Philharmonia Orchestra)

The World Inferno Friendship Society:  Performs Songs from the New Musical "The True Story of the Bridgewater Astral League"

Various:  The First Rock and Roll Record

The Velvet Underground:  1969 Sessions

Anja Lechner/François Couturier:  Lontano

Beethoven:  Egmont Overture//Mozart:  Le Nozze di Figaro Overture/Die Entführung auf dem Serail Overture/Eine Kleine Nachtmusik//Weber:  Der Freischutz Overture & Entr'acte Act 3//J. Strauss II:  Die Fledermaus Overture (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker)

James Brown:  Dead on the Heavy Funk 1975-83

Chopin:  14 Waltzes//Ravel:  Valses Nobiles et Sentimentales (Kovacevich)

Ben Monder:  Day After Day

Festa/Ensemble Daedalus:  The Art of Melancholy