Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Messiaen:  Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jésus/Catalogue d'Oiseaux (Loriod) (uh-oh it's starting)

Porest:  Prude Juice for the Heritage Swinger

Hindemith:  String Trios Nos. 1 & 2//Schoenberg:  String Trio (Trio Zimmerman)

Mahler:  Das Lied von der Erde (Gerhild Romberger/Robert Dean Smith//Iván Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra) (my favorite recording so far of my least favorite Mahler piece)

Tom Rainey:  Obbligato

Mysliveček:  Complete Wind Quintets & Octets (van Heerden/L'Orfeo Bläserensemble) (if there's any surer thing than Bohemian wind music, I don't know what it is) (it's surer still when it's played by Bohemians -- but you can't have everything)

Machaut:  Le Judgement du Roi du Navarre (Racodon//Vellard/Enemble Gilles Binchois)

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

If you're going to do rock music, does it have to be the absolute worst rock period there ever was?

I looked at reviews after I listened to it, and apparently it's consciously a "glam throwback." So I agree, odd choice.

Vogel:  Symphonies Nos. 1-3 (Goebel/Bayerische Kammerphilharmonie)

Homilius:  Warum Toben die Heiden etc.  (Roy/Gödde/Schoch/Köhler//Homberg/Handel's Company)

Bach:  Lute-Cembalo Suite in C Minor/Partita No. 6/Goldberg Variations (P. Serkin)

Kalevi Aho:  Symphony No. 8/Pergamon (Ericsson//Vänska/Lahti Symphony Orchestra)

Victoria:  Cantica Beatae Virginus (Savall/La Capella Reial de Catalunya/Hespèrion XX)

Various (Muyassar Kurdi, curator):  Reality Tunnels (Idle Chatter 005)

Martinu:  String Quartet No. 7/Duo No. 1 "3 Madrigals"/String Trio No. 2 (Stamitz Quartet)

?

sumac: may you be held (excellent)

goatsnake: black age blues (no reason for this to exist)

carcass: despicable (this seems to be b sides from a forthcoming lp which is probably a lot better, great production.)

bleeding out: lifelong death fantasy 

persekutor: permanent winter (metal party album of the year)

blood incantation: hidden history of the human race (this seems more and more like a real classic the more I listen to it.)

boris: no (the two versions of vein let us know that they had a hardcore record in them, I thought it would be better.)

7 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Iggy should cover "Ca Plane Pour Moi" :D

Couple of pieces about their long friendship and indeed, the recording of this song, by Iggy, in (mostly) French...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iggy-pop-elvis-costello-musicians-on-musicians-1091103/

Pop: I used to love the newsstands in England. I’d get very excited on Wednesday morning, when you’d get up and they had the music papers. Sounds, New Musical Express, Melody Maker. Each one would have their own slant. Sounds was the cheap one, and it was pretty easy to get in there.

Costello That is definitely right. I think I got my first mention ever there. That happened once they put these glasses on me and changed my name. It was a little like Clark Kent in reverse. I appeared in Sounds, and I couldn’t believe it. In one minute, I was working in an office. In the next minute, I was on the cover of Melody Maker for being arrested.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iggy-pop-french-language-rendition-of-elvis-costellos-no-flag-1097245/

Stravinsky:  Symphony in E Flat (Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

Fela:  The Best Best of Black President 2

Adrián Rodriguez von der Spoel/Música Temprana:  Muy Hermosa Es María:  Villancicos from La Real Audencia de Quito

Röntgen:  Violin Concertos/Ballad (Ferschtman//Porcelijn/Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz)

Scott Hamilton:  Back in New York