Today I played...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Schubert:  Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 (Böhm/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Paganini:  Guitar Quartets Nos. 2, 8 & 15 (Quartetto Paganini)

Hoffmeister:  Esterhazy-Parthia No. 5/Parthias Nos. 3, 24 & 25 (Consortium Classicum)

Matthew Shipp:  Piano Vortex

Various:  The Harry Smith B-Sides (great stuff, of course -- but I fervently decry the compilers' decision to give White America a pass by excising the sides that contain anti-Black slurs:  it only serves to make White America look better than it is.  The truth shouldn't be covered up but revealed for all to see)

Schoenberg:  String Quartets Nos. 1 & 3 (Schoenberg Quartet)

Haydn:  Symphony No. 39 "The Fist"/Stabat Mater//Gluck:  Paride ed Elena:  "O del mio dulce ardor"/"Tutto qui mi sorprende"/"Le belle imagini"//Vanhal:  Symphony in D Minor//Mysliveček:  Semiramide:  "Tu mi disprezzi ingrato"//J.C. Bach:  Symphony Op. 6 No. 6 (Ränzlöv//Page/The Mozartists)

Mendelssohn:  Songs Without Words, Books 5-8 (Brautigam)

Wadada Leo Smith:  Ten Freedom Summers (kind of astounding, even by Smith's supremely high standards)

Ockeghem:   Complete Songs Vol. 1 (Metcalfe/Blue Heron)

Django Reinhardt:  Péche à la Mouche

Bruckner:  Symphony No. 5 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (he's got an umlaut -- so you KNOW he's badass)

Various:  The Rough Guide to Colombian Street Party (they have GREAT street parties in Colombia)

Paganini:  Guitar Quartets Nos. 4-6 (Paganini Quartet)

J. Strauss II:  Die Fledermaus (Schwartzkopf/Streich/Gedda//Karajan/Philharmonia Orchestra)

Garrido/Ensemble Elyma/Ars Longa de la Havana/Cor Vivaldi, Elis Petits Cantors de Catalunya:  Fiesta Criolla:  Féte Baroque pour la Vierge de Guadalupe, Sucre 1718

Various:  The Best of Carnatic Instrumental

Brahms:  Piano Concerto No. 2//Mozart:  Symphony No. 39 (Fischer//Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (best recording of Brahms Second Piano Concerto I've ever heard)

Paganini:  Complete Guitar Trios (Bratchkova/Farulli/Noferini/Sebastiani)

A.G. Cook:  Apple

Strauss:  Also Sprach Zarathustra/Til Eulenspiegel's Lustige Streiche/Don Juan/Salome's Dance (Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra)

Modern Jazz Quartet:  The Last Concert

Stravinsky:  Mavra/Les Noces (Bellinck/Allen/Simmons/Albert/Rideout/Kolk/Litten/Metcalf//Stravinsky/Craft//CBC Symphony Orchestra/Columbia Percussion Ensemble/Gregg Smith Singers/Ithaca College Concert Choir)

Rossini:  Il Barbiere di Siviglia Overture/L'Italiana in Algeri//Verdi:  La Traviata:  Preludes to Acts 1 & 3//Dukas:  L'Apprenti Sorcier (Toscanini/New York Philharmonic)

Schumann:  Piano Concerto/Cello Concerto (Gieseking/de Machula//Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (in case you were wondering whether Furtwängler is really better than Toscanini:  he's aeons better)

Dvorák:  Serenades for Strings & Winds/SukMeditation on an Old Czech Hymn "St. Wenceslas" (Hrüša/Prague Philharmonic) (in case you were wondering who the next great Czech conductor is) (he even has an umlaut!)

Charli XCX:  How I'm Feeling Now

John Luther Adams:  The Far Country (Barbara Chapman//Faletta/Culver/Apollo Quarter/Apollo Strings/Atlanta Singers/Cabrillo Festival Orchestra)

Ornette Coleman:  Ornette at 12

Ornette Coleman:  Crisis

Schoenberg:  String Quartets Nos. 2 & 4 (Narucki/Schoenberg Quartet)