Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Carla Bley:  Fancy Chamber Music (still alive)

Jobriath:  Lonely Planet Boy (dead before I played this) (this stuff doesn't sound any better now than it did in 1973 et seq.)

Justice:  Audio, Video, Disco (still alive) (maybe not artistically)

Paganini:  String Quartets Nos. 1-3 (Quarteto d'Archi Paganini) (dead dead dead) (and stay there)

Sibelius:  A 78RPM Anthology (Beecham/Heward/Kajanus/Koussevitsky/Ormandy) (all already dead) (they had FACES then)

Éliane Radrigue:  Occam Ocean 2 (live r than you'll ever be)

George Russell Smalltet:  Jazz Workshop (already dead)

Mozart:  Symphony No. 39//Schubert:  Symphony No. 9 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (all already dead) (as for the Nazis, I can't say I'm unhappy) (these are not Furtwängler's best recordings of either of these works -- but since his best Schubert Ninth, at least, is the very best ever by anyone, that's not a major complaint)

Josquin des Prez:  Missa Hercules Dux Ferrarie/Missa D'Ung Aultre Amer/Missa Faysant Regretz (Phillips/Tallis Scholars) (Josquin long dead/Peter Phillips and the Tallis Scholars alive) (so now, several decades on, the Tallis Scholars finish recording all Josquin's masses; over the course of that time, they have moved from being at the very forefront of stylistic development to being almost rearguard; now, people complain that they're too perfect; but too perfect is still perfect)

Stravinsky:  Cantata/Mass/In Memoriam Dylan Thomas/Fanfare for a New Theater/"The Owl and the Pussy-Cat"/Septet/Elegy for J.F.K. (Adrienne Albert/Alexander Young/Robert Craft/Paul E> Howland/Jack Kreiselman/Charles Russo//Stravinsky/Craft/Columbia Chamber Ensemble/Gregg Smith Singers) (music that's so good you kind of can't believe how good it is) (it would have been interesting, if Smile had been released as intended in 1967 along with this, to try to decide which album was better) (this beats Forever Changes)

Corelli:  Chamber Sonatas Opp. 2 & 4 (Avison Ensemble)

The Beach Boys:  Shut Down Vol. 2

Thomas Buckner:  Inner Journey

Schoenberg:  Verklärte Nacht/Phantasy/Ode to Napoleon Bonaparte (Grandage/Altena/Kooistra/Grotenhuis/Schoenberg Quartet) (irreproachable -- but it doesn't make your hair stand on end like, for example, the Hollywood Quartet's Verklärte Nacht does)

Beethoven:  Coriolanus Overture/Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (the sound quality on these wartime concert recordings is pretty dire -- but I suppose we should be happy about any difficulties the Nazis were facing)

Schmelzer/Gaindelavoix:  Motets:  Music from Northern France:  the Cambrai Manuscript A 410

The Beach Boys:  All Summer Long

Backxwash:  Deviancy

Pfitzner:  Symphony in C Sharp Major (Thielemann/Müncher Philharmoniker)

The Everly Brothers:  Two Yanks in England (this is essentially the Everly Brothers backed by the Hollies singing Hollies songs; you will not be surprised to learn that the Everly Brothers were even better harmony vocalists than the Hollies were)

Feldman:  Intersection I/Structures/On Time and the Instrumental Factor/Voice and Instruments/Orchestra (Cluver//Lubman/Deutches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin) (fantastic stuff)

Linda Caitlin Smith:  Ballad (Andrew Smith/Eve Egoyan) (yeah, Eve is Atom's sister) (Linda Caitlin Smith really is one of my favorite composers, if anyone cares)

Anthony Gatto:  Wise Blood (Bakari/Hansen/Bell/Rathbun/Sommers/Gatto/Echelard//Bloom/Adam Meckler Orchestra) (really good)

Gaye Su Akyol:  Devekerle Yaslyorum

Lisel (feat. Daniel Wohl):  "Inflate"

Helene Grimaud:  The Messenger (music for piano and sometimes orchestra by Mozart and Valentyn Silvestrov)

iT Boy:  Never Early EP

Lara Bello:  Sikame

Emöke Baráth//Francisco Corti/Il Pomo d'Oro:  Voglio Cantar (music for voice & orchestra by Strozzi/Marini/Cesti/Marula)

Rockeys Duo:  Brocade (music for harpsichord, piano & electronics by Linda Caitlin Smith [as I was saying]/Emile LeBel/Annette Brosin/Anne Pidgoma)

Delphine Dora:  L'Inattingible

Eileen Farrell:  Sings Torch Songs

Beethoven:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 1-4 (Dumay/Pires)

Dezron Douglas & Brandee Younger:  Force Majeure

Hillier/Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir:  Baltic Runes (choral music by Tormis/Sibelius/Kreek/Bergman)

Earl Hines:  Plays George Gershwin

Wolf-Ferrari:  Suite Concertante for Bassoon//Nussio:  Variazioni sú un Arieta di Pergolisi//Donatoni:  Bassoon Concerto//Rota:  Bassoon Concerto (Millard//Bernardi/CBC Vancouver Orchestra)

Beethoven:  Piano Concerto No. 4/Symphony No. 7 (Hansen/Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Derek Baron:  Curtain

Lady Gaga:  Chromatica

Paganini:  In Cor Più Non Mi Sento/Three Duets for Violin & Cello/Divertimenti Canevaleschi (Milenkovich/Agesti/Sommati) (people who insist that so-called "classical" music is categorically better than so-called "pop" music -- they still exist, unbelievably -- should compare this stuff to Chromatica)

Beethoven:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 5 "Spring", 8 & 9 "Kreutzer" (Dumay/Pires)

Albinoni:  Trattenimenti Arominci (Zero Emission Baroque Orchestra) (not only is the ensemble's name stupid, but it's impossible if they're making audible sounds)

Bach:  Weihnacths-Oratorium (Röschmann/Scholl/Güra/Häger//Jacobs/Akademi für Alte Musik Berlin/RIAS Kammerchor) (there are people who'll tell you this isn't a good performance) (don't listen to them)

Blkterula:  Nirvana (love this)

Beethoven:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 6, 7 & 10 (Dumay/Pires)

Piffaro:  Los Ministriles in the New World (boy is this great)

Thomas Bloch:  Ondes Martenot (music for Ondes Martenot by Messiaen/Thomas Boch/Bernard Wisson/Michel Redolfi/Lindsay Cooper/Martinu/Olivier Touchard/Etienne Rolin)

Albinoni:  Oboe Concertos (Schilli/Dangeli//Matt/Stuttgart Kammerorchester)

Kirkman/Binchois Ensemble:  Music for Saint Katherine of Alexandria (by Frye/Byttering/Anon./Dunstaple/Driffelde)

Various:  Joyful Noise Holiday Special 2020

Low Cut Connie:  Private Lives (mitchells should check this out if he hasn't already -- he'd enjoy this objectively very good album more than I did)

Sabine Devielhe & Alexandre Tharaud:  Chanson d'Amour (songs by Faure/Poulenc/Ravel/Debussy/

Porter:  Something for the Boys (Burns/Burstein/Calahan/Chaffin/Ford/Hibbert/Stanley)

Christian Scott:  Christian Ajunde Adjuah (quite good)

Lachenmann:  Concertini/Kontrakadenz (Ensemble Moderne Medien)

Graupner:  Christmas Cantatas (Winter/Vitzhum/Kobow/Flaig//Max/Das Kleine Konzert)

oui ennui:  Pastiche Libra (what can I say?  I just love this guy)

Samantha Riott:  Bloodletting

Stravinsky:  Firebird Suite/Petroushka (Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

Roberto Fonseca:  Yo (seriously good)