Today I played...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Sibelius:  Finlandia//Strauss:  Til Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche//Ravel:  Daphnes et Chloé -- Suite No. 2 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Daniil Trifonov:  Silver Age (solo & concertante music for piano by Stravinsky/Prokofiev/Scriabin)

Lambert:  Pamona/Tiresias (Lloyd-Jones/English Northern Philharmonia) (you wish this stuff were better)

Debussy/Ravel:  String Quartets//Chausson:  Chanson Perpétuelle (Lindsay/Cemin/Quator Van Kuijk)

Charly Bliss & Pup:  "It's Christmas and I Fucking Miss You"

Gelsey Bell:  Toyland

La Ricordanza:  "Fiery and Sublime":  The Sources of Quantz's Inspiration (concertante & chamber music for flute by Quantz/Leclair/C.P.E. Bach/Graun/Blavet)

Danzi:  Potpourris Nos. 1-3/Concertino for Clarinet & Bassoon/Concertante for Flute & Clarinet (Brunner/Thunemann/Nicolet//Stadlemaier/Faerber/Münchener Kammerorcester/Würtettembergisches Kammerorchester) (delightful music played as well as can be)

Guarnieri:  Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6/Suíte Vila Rica (Neschling/São Paolo Symphony Orchestra) (delightful music played as well as can be)

Paul McCartney:  McCartney III (I am a little cast aside by how good this is) (I mean, Paul McCartney????????)

Albrecht/Münchener Bach-Chor:  Frohlocket ihr Völker auf Erder:  German Romantic Christmas (delightful music played and sung as well as can be)

Schumann:  Carnaval/Kinderszenen/Piano Sonata No. 2 (Slenczynaska)

Tim Berne's Snakeoil:  The Fantastic Mrs. 10

Michael Yonkers & The Michael Yonkers Band:  Microminiature Love

Handel:  Solomon (Connolly/Griffon/Sampson/Padmore/Wilson-Johnson//Reuss:  Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin)

Schütz:  Weinachtshistorie/Cantiones Sacrae/Der 100. Psalm (Agnew/Crookes/McCarthy//Summerly/Oxford Camerata)

Mysliveček:  Violin Concertos (Ishikawa//Pešek/Dvorák Chamber Orchestra)

The Velvet Underground:  LIVE AT THE MATRIX November 26 & 27, 1969 (Parts I & II)

Linda Caitlin Smith:  Meadow (Cooper/Roewer/Butt) (I love Linda Caitlin Smith) (I just do)

Dua Lipa, Future Nostalgia

Miley Cyrus, Plastic Hearts. This is growing on me, especially the ballads. The singing is so good (apart from a dreadful cover of "Heart of Glass"), that the big booming drums must, I suppose, be tolerated.

Taylor Swift:  Evermore (marginally less boring than Folklore) (I hope for her next album she trades in Aaron Dessner for A.G. Cook)

Son Lux:  Tomorrows II

Beethoven:  Violin Concerto/Symphony No. 4 (Röhn//Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 1, 2, 5, 7, 9 & 10 (Badura-Skoda) (these are from his second cycle, on period instruments from his collection -- and boy are they good)

Handel:  Harpsichord Suites Nos. 1-4 (Hantaï) (people doubt the quality of these works, but in first-rate interpretations like these, what's not to like?)

Bach:  Violin Concertos/Concerto for Two Violins/Concerto for Violin & Oboe (Fischer/Sitkovesky/Rubstov//Academy of St Martin in the Fields)

Parrott/Taverner Consort & Choir:  The Promise of the Age:  A Christmas Collection (a Christmas album that's actually good)

Brahms:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 1-3 (Dumay/Pires)

So far, last night and today:

Christmas with Dino
A Dave Brubeck Christmas
Huey "Piano" Smith, Twas the Night Before Christmas
Sufjan Stevens, Hark! 

The hoary standards will appear. But she no longer insists on the Muppets record.

On deck for later today and tonight:

One of the four Very Bootie Christmases (cocktail time)
Bruce Cockburn, Christmas (dinnertime)
Fuck You & the Christmas Trees, O Holy Fuck (dishwashing time)