Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

On 12/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, Sneakeater said:

Speaker Music:  of desire, longing

Thank you.

ETA: "of desire, longing sees the artist drawing on French philospher Henri Lefebvre’s book Rhythmanalysis and British cultural theorist Kodwo Eshun’s theory of the ‘choronopolitical’ to create a longform sound piece that records a romantic approach to “gestural sonic portraitures of sonorous and cybernetic ensemble energy music.”

Of course, of course.

Dave Davies:  Hidden Treasures (It seems to me that this stuff worked best as changes-of-pace on Kinks albums.  By themselves all together, not surrounded by songs by brother Ray, these tracks in the aggregate seem monocolored and unsatisfying.  Kind of like a compilation of all the George songs from Beatles albums.)

Rawsthorne:  Symphonies Nos. 1, 2 "A Pastoral Symphony" & 3 (Ellett//Lloyd-Jones/Bournemouth Symphony)

Copland:  Symphony No. 3 (Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

Janácek:  Violin Sonata//Kurtág:  Doina/The Carenza Jig/Tre Pezzi/Fundamentals No. 2/In Memoriam Blum Tamás/Like the flowers of the field . . ./Postcard to Anna Keller/A Hungarian Lesson for Foreigners/Fanfare to Judit Maros' Wedding/Les Adieux (in Janácek's Manner)/In Nominee -- all'Ongherese//Bartók:  Violin Sonata No. 1 (Koh/Wosner)

William Brittelle:  Alive in the Electric Snow Dream

Madam West:  "In Color"

WSABI Fox:  Gushing EP

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 9 (Mühlemann/Chappuis/Schmitt/Bauer//Antonini/Kammerorchester Basel/NFM Choir)

Ēriks Ešenvalds:  Passion and Resurrection/Evening/Night Prayer/A drop in the ocean/Legend of the walled-in woman/Long Road (Sampson//Layton/Polyphony/Britten Sinfonia)

N. Ravikiran:  Young Star of Gottuvadyam:  South Indian Ragas (this is spectacular, actually)

William Parker Quartet:  O'Neal's Porch

Mozart:  String Quartets Nos. 14 & 15/Divertimento in F Major (Quartour Van Kuijk)

Paganini:  3 Duets for Violin and Bassoon (Accardo/Gonello)

Scelsi:  Yamaon/Anahit/I Presagi/Tre Pezzi/Okanagon (Zender/Klangforum Wien)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 5/Egmont Overture (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (Now the War is over, and everybody's calming down.  Am I gonna complain about the loss of intensity?  You bet!  Some people are never satisfied.)

Schoenberg:  String Trio/Six Little Piano Pieces (string quartet version)/Quintet for Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn & Bassoon (string quartet version) (Schoenberg Quartet)

David Greilsammer:  Labyrinth (solo piano music by Janácek/Lully/Beethoven/George Crumb/Ligeti/Bach/Granados/Satie/C.P.E. Bach/Ofer Pelz/Marais/Scriabin/Rebel)

Strauss:  Don Juan/Metamorphosen für 23 Solostreicher//Hindemith:  Symphonische Variationen über Themen von Carl Maria von Webern (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (there's certainly something gripping about hearing Strauss's Metamorphosen, a work explicitly about the destruction of German culture by its own hand, in the shadow of the destruction of German culture by its own hand, played by the most celebrated exponents of that culture)

Bach:  Double Violin Concerto//Anna Clyne:  Prince of Clouds//Philip Glass:  Echorus//David Ludwig:  Seasons Lost (Koh/Laredo//Parameswaran/Curtis 20/20 Ensemble) (great great great)

Dallapiccola:  Il Prigioniero (Bryn-Julson/Hynninen/Haskin/Alexandersson/Wedin/Haskin//Salonen/Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir/Eric Ericson Choir)

Various:  1978:  The Year the UK Turned Day-Glo (I thought at the time, and continue to think, that 1978's consolidations of advances made in 1977 made 1978 a particularly fertile year for alt-pop music)

Sunflower Bean:  From the Basement

Sunflower Bean:  King of the Dudes

Sunflower Bean:  "Moment in the Sun"

Bach:  Orchestral Suite No. 3//Handel:  Concerti Grossi Op. 6 Nos. 5 & 10//Gluck:  Alceste Overture (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (I love the Prelude to Act 1 of Lohengrin and I love Bach, so I guess I should love it when Bach is played to sound like the Prelude to Act 1 of Lohengrin) (the Handel I'm not so sure about)

Greig:  Symphonic Dances/Peer Gynt Suites Nos. 1 & 2/Funeral March in Memory of Rikard Nordraak/Two Elegiac Melodies/Suite from Holberg's Time/Two Melodies/Two Nordic Melodies/In Autumn/Lyric Suite/Klokkenklang (Aadland/WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln) (not so much couldn't be better as wouldn't be better) (by which I mean the Berlin Phil plays this music with more finesse, but not as much understanding and earthy vitality)

Matthew Evan Taylor:  The Unheard Mixtape 2:  Language of the Unheard

Ingrid Laubrock Anti-House:  Roulette of the Cradle

Lieberson:  King Gesar (Ebrahim//Lieberson/Ma/Ax/Serkin/Adorkián/Marshall/Purvis/Taylor)

Sarah Hennies:  Casts

Mahler:  Symphony No. 4 (Claycomb//Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

Trio M:  Big Picture

Schubert:  Winterreise (Mattei/Nilsson)

August Greene:  August Greene (why did this not take over the world?)

The Clash:  Super Black Market Clash

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 6 & 14 (Badura-Skoda) (period instruments versions)

Wagner:  Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg:  Prelude to Act 1/Tannhauser Overture/Tristan und Isolde:  Prelude & Liebstod/ParsifalKarfeitagszauber/GötterdammerungTrauermarsch (Furtwängler/Berliner Phiharmoniker)

Eric Wubbels:  being time (Jacobs/Wubbels/Mivos Quartet)

Alex G:  DSU

Schubert:  Symphonies Nos. 8 "Unfinished" & 9 (Böhm/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Jeannie Seely:  Seely Style

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 3 & 15 (Badura-Skoda) (period instruments versions)

Brahms:  Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2 (Pires/Dumay/Wang)

Stravinsky:  "The Faun and the Shepardess"/2 Poems by Paul Verlaine/2 Poems by Konstantin Balmont/Trois Poésies de la Lyrique Japonaise/3 Little Songs "Recollections of My Childhood"/Prebaoutki/Tilim-Bom/Cat's Cradle Songs/4 Songs/3 Songs from William Shakespeare (Lear/Simmons/Berberian/Albert/Gramm//Stravinsky/Craft/CBC Symphony Orchestra/Columbia Symphony Orchestra/Columbia Chamber Orchestra/Columbia Chamber Ensemble)

Edoardo Catemario:  Guitar XX (works for solo guitar by Rodrigo/Castelnuovo-Tedesco/Tansman/Martin/Ponce/Oscar Roberto Caseres)

Paganini:  Notturnos Nos. 1-4/Quartet No. 7/Sonata per Rovene/Guitar & Mandolin Sonata/Minuetto per l'Amandorlino (Quartetto d'Archi Paganini et al.)

Elizabeth Cook:  Aftermath