Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Haydn:  Folksong Arrangements:  Welsh Songs for George Thomson (Anderson/MacDougal/Haydn Trio Eisenstadt) (Disc 15) (this set goes on and on -- but the entertainment value of this stuff is just through the roof)

Bach:  Motets (Pichon/Pygmalion) (certainly the liveliest -- and, I must say, my favorite -- renditions of this somewhat intractable material I've ever heard; the first time I've unreservedly liked these pieces)

Webern:  Chamber Music for Strings (Sepp Grotenhuis/Schoenberg Quartet)

Taverner:  Missa Corona Spinea/Dum Tranisset Sabbatum I & II (Tallis Scholars)

Sly & the Family Stone:  Small Talk (I was hoping this would prove to be one of those albums that seemed bitterly disappointing on release, but that in retrospect seem to be pretty good [think Stage Fright].  It isn't [think Cahoots].  This sounds like Sly is lamely imitating the people who had imitated him.  For someone who up until this point had been doing Prince-level work, an album this lame is deflating in the extreme.)

Bassani:  Sinfonie Op. 5 (Ensemble StilModerno)

Monteverdi:  Quinto Libro dei Madrigale (La Venexiana)

Dessau:  Einstein (Schreier/Adam//Suitner/Staatsoper Berlin)

Suzi Analogue:  3P

Arooj Aftab:  Siren Islands

Sun Ra:  The Futuristic Sound of Sun Ra (like a lot of futurism, this sounds an awful lot like the time it was made) (none the worse for it, of course)

Bryan & the Aardvarks:  Sounds from the Deep Field

Shapero:  Sinfonia in C Minor/Credo for Orchestra/Partita in C/Serenade in D (Rose/Boston Modern Orchestra Project) (so he ISN'T a one-hit wonder!)

Warren Zevon:  Genius:  The Best of Warren Zevon

Oliveros:  The Roots of the Moment

Kraus:  Soliman II, eller de Tre Sulanninorna (Hoel/Örtensdahl-Corin/Wallström/Morgny//Brunelle/Orchestra and Chorus of the Royal Opera of Sweden)

Wynton Marsalis/Eric Clapton:  Play the Blues (this is better than I expected, but there's still no place in my world for either of these guys)

Charpentier:  Sub Tuum Praesidium/Messe pour les Tréspassés:  Symphonie du Kyrie/Messe à Quatre Choeurs/Domine Salvum fac Regem//Cazzati:  Salve Caput Sacrosanctum//Cavalli:  Sonata a 12/Magnificat//Merula:  Credidi Propter Quod//Beretta:  Missa Mirabiles Elationes Maris//Giamberti:  Simalbo eum Viro Sapienti//Benevoli:  Missa Si Deus Pro Nobis:  Crucifixus (Daucé/Ensemble Correspondances) (exemplary -- but not just that, also fairly moving and hugely enjoyable)

Nicki Minaj:  Queen

Southam:  Returnings II/Returnings/Untitled in G/Untitled in A Flat/Untitled in B Flat (Eve Egoyan) (great stuff!!!!)

Various:  Blue Note Re:Imagined

John Chibadura & Tembo Brothers:  Selected Hits

Vanhal:  Symphonies in E Minor/C Major (2)/E Flat Major (Mallon/Toronto Chamber Orchestra) (really this is great stuff)

Porpora:  Germanico in Germania (Cencic/Lezhneva/Nesi/Sancho/Idrisova/Bennani//Adamus/Capella Cracoviensis) (well where did they think Germanico was going to be?)

Nubya Garcia:  Source

Neurosis, Souls at Zero

Neurosis, Enemies of the Sun

Earth, Earth 2

Mary Halvorson, Meltframe*

Betty Davis, The Columbia Years 1968-69

Betty Davis, Nasty Gal

Solomon Burke, Nashville

(Last few days I played.)

*I was led to this after listening to Ingrid Laubrock Anti-House:  Roulette of the Cradle on which Halvorson plays - thanks Sneak.

Ifukube:  Sinfonia Tapkaara/Ritmica Ostinata for Piano and Orchestra/Symphonic Fantasy No. 1 (Saranceva//Yablonsky/Russian Philharmonic Orchestra) (yes my current Godzilla obsession has taken me this far)

Vellard/Ensemble Gilles Binchois:  Amour, Amours:  Florilege des Chansons Français du la Renaissance

Frederic Rzewski:  Songs of Insurrection (Kotcheff) (might want to give that title a rethink)

.clipping feat. Christopher Fleeger:  Double Live (these guys can do no wrong)

Catherine Lamb & the Harmonic Space Orchestra:  Prisma Interius VII & VIII

Suzi Analogue:  ZONEZ V.I