Today I played...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Ian Drury:  Reasons to Be Cheerful:  The Best of Ian Drury

Yes, from my neighborhood of course. I even know where Plaistow is, but never met Patricia.

Taylor Ho Bynum Sextet:  Apparent Distance

Neil Young:  After the Goldrush

Bononcini:  Divertimenti da Camera (Balestracci/La  Stagione Armonica)

Burning Star Core:  Paper Cuts Theater

Kraus:  Begräbnis Kantate/Trauersinfonie (Castellano/Huáhr/Adam/Shendel//Eherhardt/L'Arte del Mundo/RIAS Kammerchor) (history buffs may be interested to know that this is the music Kraus wrote to commemorate the death by assassination of his patron Gustav III of Sweden) (everyone else should know that Kraus is possibly the single most underappreciated composer of the Classsical period)

Stravinsky:  Dances Concertantes/4 Norwegian Moods/Ode/Concerto in D "Basel" (Stravinsky/Craft//Columbia Chamber Orchestra/CBC Symphony Orchestra/Cleveland Orchestra/Columbia Symphony Orchestra) (how embarrassing for Columbia Records that one of the pieces on an album entitled Stravinsky Conducts turned out to have actually been conducted by Robert Craft)

Neil Young:  After the Goldrush

Jerry González & The Fort Apache Band:  Crossroads (love them:  what can I say?)

Gyda Valtysdottir:  Epicycle

Madvillain:  Four Tet Remixes

Cuong Vu:  Pure (another really good one) (this is jazz following a rock approach in some ways -- but not sounding anything like jazz/rock fusion)

Gelsey Bell & John King:  Ciphony

Couperin:  Pièces de Clavecin (Hantaï) (there are tons of excellent records of Couperin's harpsichord music -- and this is another one) (I for one consume them like potato chips)

Mozart:  Gran Partita//Beethoven:  8 Variations on "Là ci Darem la Mano" (Ogrintchouk/Members of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) (really, if you want this music on modern instruments, is there anyone else you'd rather hear play it?) (leaps to the head of the line, as far as I'm concerned)

Schubert:  Die Schöne Müllerin (Güra/Schultsz) (Güra's voice is so pretty it makes you suspicious -- but he can characterize)

Bruckner:  Symphony No. 7 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (the guy's just a monster of a Bruckner interpreter)

Phoebe Bridgers/Rob Moose:  Copycat Killer (AT LAST I really like one of her records)

Mozart:  Piano Trios Nos. 2 & 3 (Dumay/Wang/Pires)

Julia Gooding/Carole Cerasi/Christopher Wilson:  Music from the Time of Vermeer:  Constantin Huygens and His Musical Circle