Today I played...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Bruckner:  Symphony No. 4 "Romantic"//Ravel:  Rapsodie Espagnole (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker)

Grieg:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 1-3 (Dumay/Pires)

Shostakovich:  24 Preludes & Fugues (Melnikov)

Wings:  London Town (I found this quite winning when it came out.  I wonder what I was thinking)

Mendelssohn:  Choral Works (Rademann/RIAS Kammerchor)

Serengeti:  With Greg from Deerhoof

Thumbscrew:  Convallaria

The Chutneys:  Home

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 8 & 16 (Badurka-Skoda) (period instruments versions)

Even before the apocalypse, lovely spouse discovered apps and Youtube videos to take to our building's mini-gym. Now she works out in her art studio in front of her monitor, audible across our home when I'm in my office. But louder now that I'm in stuck in bed, right next to her studio, glued to my heating pad after throwing out my back.

It's similar to my ex's awful workout music, though leaning toward bassy electronica instead of yowling pop.

Sharon Stone didn't need music while playing hologram tennis:

http://app.diver-cloud.net/?id=ptv0nqzpsr

Mozart:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 18, 21, 24 & 27 (Dumay/Pires)

Alex Weiser:  And All the Days Were Purple (Eliza Bagg et al.)

Frank Sinatra:  Nice and Easy

Matthew Evan Taylor:  The Unheard Mixtape 3:  Chamber Music

Bach:  Violin Partita No. 2//Barth/Ciacona//Reger:  Chaconne for Solo Violin (Koh)

The Beach Boys:  Today!

Giovanni Guidi Trio:  This Is the Day

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 4 & 17 (Badura-Skoda) (period instrument version)

Louciana Souza:  Speaking in Tongues

Tchaikovsky:  Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (there's an English word that sounds a lot like "pathetique")

Daniel Romano:  If I've Only One Time Askin'

Kraus (arr. Grenser):  Amphytrion -- Incidental Music (Amphion Wind Octet)

Pablo Márquez:  El Cuchi Bien Temperado (get your mind out of the gutter:  it's a tribute to guitarist/composer Gustavo "Cuchi" Leguizamón)

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 11 & 18 (Badura-Skoda) (period instrument version)

Haydn:  Symphony No. 88//Schumann:  Manfred Overture/Symphony No. 4 (Furtwängler/Berliner Philharmoniker) (there was a time when I'd have told you that the Haydn No. 88 was nearly definitive.  That was stupid.  It's plodding.  The Schumann No. 4, however, remains one of the great recordings of anything ever -- sounding even better now than before, if anything)

Wagner:  Lohengrin -- Preludes to Acts 1 & 3/Gotterdämerung -- Dawn & Siegried's Rhine Journey/Siegfried Idyll/Tristan und Isolde -- Prelude & Liebestod//Brahms:  Haydn Variations (Toscanini/Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York) (the NY Phil recordings are clearly Toscanini's best -- but, for all their technical perfection, and their relative sensitivity compared to Toscanini's later work, they still sound inhumane and uncultured next to the Nazi collaborator Furtwängler)

Elgar:  Symphony No. 2 (Davis/London Symphony Orchestra) (with apologies to my British friends:  what claptrap)

Achron:  Complete Suites for Violin & Piano (Hagai Shaham/Arnon Erez) (sorry, being Jewish isn't enough)

Mozart:  Violin Concertos Nos. 1-5 (Koncz/Les Musiciens du Louvre - Grenoble) (this is quite nice)

Mendelssohn:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3 "Scottish" (Manze/NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra) (good -- but Thomas Fey is better)

Various:  Hildegard Competition Winners Vol. 1  (pieces by Emma O'Halloran/inti figgis-vizueta/Niloufar Nourbakhsh/Bergrún Snæbjörnsdóttir/X. Lee/Kayla Cashetta) (greatgreatgreat)

William Parker, Trencadis (selections from Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World (10 CD box set).

This is very varied because collaborators like the pianist Eri Yamamoto are upfront, but it's very good. The question is, would I ever sit through all 10 CDs?