Today I played...

Robbie Fulks:  Revenge

Various:  Salsa:  Un Homenaje a El Gran Combo

Grouper:  A I A

Hauschka:  A Different Forest

Ruth Copeland:  Self Portrait (you'd think P Funk backing up a White folkie would at least be interesting)

Judy Kuhn:  All This Happiness (just so you all know, this is very very good)

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Various:  C90 (Disc 2)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 28, 35 "Haffner" & 36 "Linz" (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century) (was Franz Brüggen my ATF "classical" musician of my lifetime?  maybe)

Toch:  String Quartets Nos. 11 & 13 (Buchberger Quartet) (I really like these quartets)

Purcell feat. Finger:  Devotional Songs & Anthems (La Rêveuse)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 29, 31 "Paris" & 33 (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century)

Galuppi:  Complete Concertos for Strings (Ensemble StileModerno) (I dare you not to enjoy this)

Gayla Bisengalieva:  Aralkum

Stan Getz Quintets:  The Clef & Norgran Studio Albums (in theory I think this is lame thin White-boy derivation) (in practice I could listen to it all day and all night)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 34 & 40/Notturno for Four Orchestras (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century)

William Parker feat. Kyoko Kitamura & Ensemble:  The Music of William Parker:  Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World Vol. 4: Cheops

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 1 & 9 "Rasumovsky No. 3"/Violin Sonata No. 3 (Adolf Busch/Rudolf Serkin//Busch Quartet)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 38 "Prague" & 39/La Clemenza di Tito Overture/Le Nozze di Figaro Overture (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century)

Bach:  Concerto for Recorder & Harpsichord/Trio Sonata in G Minor/Triple Concerto/Sonata Concerto (Brüggen et al.)

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 95 "Serioso" & 130/Große Fuge (Busch Quartet) (from a programming standpoint, it's a shame that this box set of the chamber recordings of Adolf Busch and the Busch Quartet start right out with Beethoven, since as far as I'm concerned their late Beethoven quartets are, along with the Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Sevens, the greatest recordings of anything ever made by anyone; it would have been better to build up to them) (yeah it's dispiriting that recordings made in 1920s [how weird that you can't just say "the '20s" anymore] and '30s are still the best ever)

Loellet/Sammartini/Handel/Naudot/Telemann:  Recorder Sonatas and Concertos (Brüggen et al.)

William Parker feat. Fay Victor/Hamid Drake:  The Music of Wiliam Parker:  Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World Vol. 5:  Harlem Speaks (oh my fucking God)

Naeem:  Startisha (I'm Old, but get Swamp Dogg to guest on your album, and I'll probably buy it)

Mistresses:  Mistresses

Louis Armstrong:  The Nightclubs

Jim Ford:  The Sounds of Our Time (he may be Nick Lowe's favorite recording artist, but he doesn't eclipse Lowe on my list) (like, maybe if he knew how to sing) (also, this compilation omits his version of his great song "Juju Man" -- if he ever recorded one -- but I still know to a moral certainty that it wouldn't be as good as Brinsley Schwartz's or Dave Edmunds's)

Mukdad/Rothenberg/Lankow:  In the Wake of Memories (GREAT)

Mozart:  Symphonies Nos. 40 & 41 "Jupiter" (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century)

Miles Davis feat. Marcus Miller:  Siesta (I guess the idea of this was to make a '90s Sketches of Spain.  But I think Sketches of Spain was pretty sketchy itself.  And the '90s weren't the '60s, not by a long shot.)

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 8 "Rasumovsky No. 2" & 16 (Végh Quartet) (1950s recordings) (the transfers on my copies are earbleedingly annoying)

Merullo:  Toccate d'Intavoatura d'Organo (Tasini) (there is more good music out there than is dreamt of in your [or my] philosophy)

Geminiani:  6 Sonatas Op. 5 (ter Linden/Becker/Mortensen)

Various:  C90 (Disc 3)

William Parker feat. Jean Carla Rodea & Ensemble:  The Music of William Parker:  Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World Vol. 6:  Mexico

The Wailers:  One Love at Studio One (if you want to hear Bunny Livingston sing "Like a Rolling Stone" [with exquisite backing vocals, natch] in 1966, here's where you need to go) (and if you don't want to hear Bunny Livingston sing "Like a Rolling Stone" [with exquisite backing vocals, natch] in 1966, WHY NOT?)

Tigran Mansurian:  Double Concerto/Romance/Quasi Parlando/Concerto No. 2 "Four Serious Songs" (Kopatchinskaja/Lechner//Thompson/Amsterdam Sinfonietta)

Lassus:  Missa pro Defunctus/Prophetae Sibyllarium (Hilliard Ensemble)