Today I played...

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 4 (Helmchen//Manze/Deutsche Symphonie Orchestre Berlin)

Al Bilali Soudan:  Timbuktu

Buke and Gase:  Riposte

Mahler:  Symphony No. 5 (Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony Orchestra)

Per Nørgård:  Tales of the North:  Complete Works for Solo Guitar (Östersjö)

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Mozart:  March in D/Haffner Serenade (Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century)

Buke and Gase:  #Monday Mission (as you may be surmising, I just love these guys)

Mary Halvorson's Code Girl:  Artlessly Falling

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 13 & 19 (Badura-Skoda) (period instruments versions) (I'm really getting the feeling this series of recordings was seriously underrated)

Fats Domino:  They Call Me the Fat Man:  The Legendary Imperial Recordings (Disc 1:  1945-1955) (you almost have to underrate Domino cuz he's so unassuming -- but the fact is that these records are great, sublime, unsurpassable)

Fats Domino:  They Call Me the Fat Man:  The Legendary Imperial Recordings (Disc 2:  1955-1957)

Rancid:  Indestructible

Mahler:  Symphony No. 6 (Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony Orchestra)

Gyda Valtysdóttir:  Epicycle II

Lully:  Bellérophon (Auvity/Perruche/Teitgren/Schoen/Alexiev/Getchell/Borghi//Roussett/Les Talens Lyriques)

William Parker feat. Lisa Sokolov:  The Music of William Parker:  Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World Vol. 7:  Afternoon Poem

Two consecutive nights of at-home karaoke (he croaked). So a lot of Glenn Campbell, some Scott Walker, and the realization that I don't know "Suite/Judy Blue Eyes" well enough to sing it even if I've heard it a thousand times. It's a good one to test the patience of the audience with though.

All my karaoke (without taped backup -- so I guess it's only internal karaoke -- is in the shower, with only my upstairs and downstairs neighbors along the ventilator shaft as audience.  (I have a feeling that's why my upstairs neighbor unsubscribed to my newsletter this morning: this day's selection [centering, if I remember correctly, on The Turtles' "You Know What I Mean"] was just too much.)

Pissed Jeans:  Honeys

Bruce Springsteen:  High Hopes (I really do like what Tom Morello brings to the table -- which I guess means I'm no longer a real Boss fan)

Finzi:  Cello Concerto/Eclogue/Grand Fantasia and Toccata (Hughe/Donahoe//Griffiths/Northern Sinfonia) (remember what Joe Dough said about Brits and food?)

Dvorák:  Suite//Suk:  Serenade/Scherzo Fantastique (Hruša/Prague Philharmonic Orchestra) (Hruša:  my MAN)

DN RES:  "49"

Mahler:  Symphony No. 7 (Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony Orchestra)

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 9 "Rasumovsky No. 3" & 10 "Harp" (Végh Quartet) (1950s recordings) (these performances are good enough that it makes me wish I'd invested in better transfers)

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Bruce Springsteen:  High Hopes (I really do like what Tom Morello brings to the table -- which I guess means I'm no longer a real Boss fan)

Interesting choice.  But why does what Morello bring make you no longer a real Boss fan? (Were you ever?).

(I'll bet your neighbor is no longer a Turtles fan!)

15 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

But why does what Morello bring make you no longer a real Boss fan? (Were you ever?).

It's not that what Morello brings makes me no longer a Boss fan.  It's that what Morello brings makes it possible for me to listen to later-day Springsteen when I usually just can't.

This may sound incredibly self-aggrandizing (but what's the internet for?), but I would be willing to bet that I went to almost as many Springsteen shows before the first time you saw Springsteen as you've been to since.

Howells:  King's Herald/Paradise Rounded/Fantasia/Threnody/Pastoral Rhapsody/Procession/The B's/Three Dances/In Green's Way (Kenney/Mordkovisch/Welsh//Hickox/London Symphony Orchestra)

Michael Chapman:  Deal Gone Down

Beethoven:  String Quartet No. 13/Große Fuge (Végh Quartet) (1950s recordings)

Louis Armstrong:  Sparks, Nevada 1964!

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

but I would be willing to bet that I went to almost as many Springsteen shows before the first time you saw Springsteen as you've been to since.

No way? Really??!! Do you know how many time I've seen him since (talk about self-aggrandizing) since that first time. But if so, that's pretty awesome (and I'm jealous), because we're talking pre-'76 - remember, I'd already moved to California and it wasn't like he played there a lot, let's say, pre BTR.

The saddest part is that I was not able to get into the bottom line classics - but I was sitting outside in my Checker cab taking fares!

I think Letter to You is very, very good - takes a few listens, but lyrically...

On 1/31/2021 at 12:40 AM, Sneakeater said:

Eve Beglarian:  Overstepping (God I love her) (she says she's a fan of mine, too) (but I was her fan FIRST)

Dessoff co-commissioned her to write a piece for our Whitman Bicentennial season, co-commissioned with Roomful of Teeth, who co-performed it with us (once via a pre-recorded track, thanks to schedules not aligning, twice live).

Honestly, I can't decide to this day what thrilled me more, the piece itself ("None More Than You"), how charmingly down-to-earth she was, performing with Roomful of Teeth, or meeting the astonishing Caroline Shaw.

Sigh.

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Oh, not that this matters, but we saw Morello do his one-man show at the Minetta Lane Theatre in fall, 2019.

Man - he was great; what an interesting backstory.

https://glidemagazine.com/232848/tom-morello-speaks-truth-through-stories-and-song-at-nycs-minetta-lane-theatre-show-review/

Morello has an interesting show on one of the Sirius Alt Rock channels.  Sometimes he has his old mom on.  She's amusing.

• Like 1