Today I played...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Nardini:  Complete String Quartets (Quarteto Eleusi)

Roussel:  Padmâvatî/Le Festín de l'Aragnée/Le Naisssance de le Lyre/Le Jardin Nouelle/Invocation/Amoureux Sépáres/Light/Sarabande/Jazz dans la Nuit (Horne/Gedda/van Dam/Barbé//Plasson/Roussel/Coppola (no relation)//Orchestre National de Capitole de Toulouse//Croize/Roussel/Reeves)

Iestyn Davies/Richard Eggar:  Arise, My Muse (songs & instrumental works by Purcell/Gabreili/Carlke/Blow/Croft)

Various:  Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas

Mario Diaz de Leon:  Sanctuary (TAK Ensemble)

Various:  Buttons:  From Champaign to Chicago

Smiley Lewis:  Shame, Shame, Shame (Disc 1) (proof, if any be needed, that you can be not as good as Fats Domino while still being pretty fucking great)

Telemann:  Seliges Erwägen -- Passions-Oratorium (Richter/Zumsande/Mbodjé/Balzer/Feyfar/Harvey/Neven//von der Goltz/Freiburger Barokorchester) (let's face it:  Easter music just isn't as much fun as Christmas music)

Dvorák:  Piano Concerto//Martinu:  Piano Concerto No. 4 "Incantation" (Kahánek//Hrûša/Bamberger Symphonieorchester) (I've said it a few times and I'll say it again:  this Hrûša guy is REALLY good)

Bach:  St. Matthew Passion (Suzuki/Bach Collegium Japan)

Linda May Han Oh:  Aventurine

Steph Richards:  Supersense (I really like the music -- maybe trumpeter Richards's best -- but I don't see how the coordinated smell strip that comes with the album -- one scent for each track -- adds much) (recommended to Mrs. Bonner)

Osvaldo Golijov:  Last Round//Handel:  Concerto Grosso Op. 6 No. 6//Tchaikovsky:  Serenade for Strings (A Far Cry)

Narváez:  Musica del Delphin (Marquez)

Handel:  Brockes-Passion (Watts/Murray/Quattelbaum/Bowen/Mede/Hughes/Spence/Lloyd/Pease//Eggar/Academy of Ancient Music)

Amy Allison:  No Frills Friend

San Cha:  Capricho del Diablo (very highly recommended) (to everyone)

Pfitzner:  Violin Sonata/Fünf Klavierstücke/Sechs Studien für das Pianoforte (Wallin/Pöntinen)

Schubert:  Winterreise (Kaufmann/Deutsche)

Archie Shepp/Jason Moran:  Let My People Go (interesting contrast to Shepp's duos with Horace Parlan in the '70s and '80s -- same root styles, but Moran approaches them intellectually/sentimentally, whereas they were in Parlan's blood) (that does not devalue this new one, to be clear)

Pergolisi:  Septem Verba a Christo (Karthäuser/Dumaux/Behr/Wolff//Jacobs/Adememie für Alte Musik Berlin) (Haydn's is better -- and it doesn't even have words)

Smiley Lewis:  Shame, Shame, Shame (Disc 2)

Dukas:  Fanfare pour Précéder "La Péri"/La Péri/L'Apprenti Saucier/Symphony/Polyeucte/Sonate/Prélude Elégiaque/La Plainte, au Loin, du Faune . . . (Fingerhut//Tortelier/Uslter Orchestra/BBC Philharmonic)

Mark Nauseef/Ikue Mori/Evan Parker/Bill Laswell:  Near Nadir

Miles Davis & Michel Legrand:  Django (almost shockingly bad)

Duarte:  Complete Works (Somnambula feat. Teju Cole) (this lost 16th Century composer has everything:  not only is she a woman, but a Jewess!)

Adam Holmes & Desdamona:  Music for a Small Shelter

Kraus:  Flute Quartet/String Quartets Nos. 3 & 4 (Sandhoff/Schuppanzigh Quartett) (I [heart] Kraus)

Messiaen:  Turangalila-Symphonie (Y. & J. Loriod//La Roux/Orchestre National de la RTF)

Okay Kaya:  Surviving Is the New Living (why do I like her so much when I hate a lot of people who are kind of like her?  I have to think about that)

Lully/Charpentier/Couperin/Campra/Marais (Various)

Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders & the London Symphony Orchestra:  Promises (holy shit this is as good as everybody says it is)

Kaki King:  Modern Yesterdays (holy shit period)

Smiley Lewis:  Shame, Shame, Shame (Disc 3) (OK, he's GREAT)

Horszowski:  Vatican Recital 1940/Beethoven Masterworks 1952-1975 (OK OK he's probably my favorite pianist of all time -- but the poor sound quality of these recordings make them hard to listen to)

Du Yun:  A Cockroach's Tarantella (JACK Quartet) (she's so great)

Maria Grand:  Tetra World

Sor:  Late Works (William Carter) (cult fave Carter deserves his cult)

Sam Jones:  Changes & Things (another example of how the mediocre jazz records of decades ago now sound fabulously fantastic)

Yann Tiersen/Michael Nyman:  Movie Music (van Veen)

David Garland:  Verdancy 2

Brahms:  Symphonies Nos. 1-4/Academic Festival Overture (Weingartner/London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic Orchestra)

Savall/La Capella Reial de Catalunya/Hesperion XXI:  Isabel I, Reina de Castilla:  Luces y Sombras in el Tiempo de la Primera Gran Reina del Renacimiento 1451-1504 (of course as a Jew I'm compelled to add that Isabella can fuck herself) (those are some of the sombras Savall doesn't shrink from)

Coleman Hawkins Quartet:  Complete 1962 Studio Recordings