Today I played...

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

The Beau Brummels:  San Fran Sessions (you have to be a pretty hardcore Beau Brummels fan to want to listen to three discs of outtakes.  And I am that fan)

John Luther Adams:  Clouds of Forgetting, Clouds of Unknowing (Falletta/Apollo Chamber Orchestra)

Various:  Living Country Blues (it's interesting to reflect that these recordings, considered revenants when made in the 1980s, are now almost as old as the classic country blues sides were back then)

Revueltas:  La Coronela/Itinerarios/Colorines (Ben-Dor/English Chamber Orchestra/Santa Barbara Symphony)

Tommy Dorsey/Frank Sinatra:  The Song Is You (Disc 4)

Dillinger:  Cocaine in My Brain:  The Anthology (two discs of Dillinger might be more than you need -- but it isn't more than you want)

Tommy Dorsey/Frank Sinatra:  The Song Is You (Disc 5)

Schubert:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 12 & 20 (Badura-Skoda) (period instruments versions) (I personally tend to think this set has been criminally undervalued)

On 4/7/2021 at 12:32 AM, Sneakeater said:

Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders & the London Symphony Orchestra:  Promises (holy shit this is as good as everybody says it is)

Didn't love this as much as I expected. Sanders is fine, but the tinkly-tinkly motifs (which keep repeating) didn't please me.

I LIKE those tinkly-tinkly motifs (that keep repeating).

Pergolesi:  Opera Strumentali (Ephrikian/I Solisi di Milano) (1960s MOR Baroque performances do NOT age well)

Messiaen:  Huit Préludes//Stravinsky:  Petrouchka (Loriod//Albert/Orchestre des Cento Soli)

Schuller:  Variants for Jazz Quartet & Orchestra/Journey into Jazz (oh shut up)/Concertino for Jazz Quartet & Orchestra (Rose/Boston Modern Orchestra Project)

William Parker feat. Andrea Wolper & Ensemble:  The Music of William Parker:  Migration of Silence Into and Out of the Tone World Vol. 8:  Lights in the Rain

Philipe Jarousky/Ensemble Artaserse:  Stabat Mater:  Motets for the Virgin Mary

Otis Spann:  Is the Blues

Mussorgsky:  Pictures at an Exhibition//Janáček:  Sonata "1.X.1905"//Prokofiev:  Piano Sonata No. 7 (Fazil Say)

Of course, Keith Emerson's version of Mussorgsky:  Pictures at an Exhibition is definitive.

But his "Nut Rocker" is even better.

(At this distance, I almost thinking I am imagining that, and Rick Wakeman's damn Henry VIII conceit -- this shit sold?)

La Venxiana:  Live in Corsica

Matthew Shipp:  One

David Garland:  Verdancy 3 (I'm just LOVING these)

Beethoven:  Violin Sonata No. 9 "Kreutzer"//Ravel:  Violin Sonata//Bartók (trans. Szèkely):  Romanian Folk Dances//Fazil Say:  VIolin Sonata (Koptchhinskaja/Say)