Today I played...

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Porpora:  Cello Sonatas (Fazio/Solecka/Camporini/Alcacer/Profita)

Son Lux:  Tomorrows III

Michael Gordon:  8 (Cello Octet Amsterdam)

Magnard:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3 (T. Sanderling/Malmö Symphony Orchestra)

Couperin:  L'Unique (Jory Vinikour) (not the very best single-disc Couperin harpsichord survey -- but up there)

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

How was that?  I need to get around to it.

Some good writing. Most tracks are very quiet - a vocal, piano or guitar. Worth a listen.

Platti:  Cello Concertos (Veggetti/Ensemble Cordia)

Kotche:  Clapping Music Variations//Reich:  Music for Pieces of Wood (Kotche/Cossin)

Caleb Burhans:  O Ye of Little Faith . . . . (Alarm Will Sound)

Mahler:  "Rheinlegendchen"/"Ich Ging Mit Lust"/"Frühlingsmorgen"/"Ablösung im Summer"/"War hat Dies Liedlein Erdacht?"/Leider eins Fahrenden Gesellen/"Zu Straßburg auf der Schanz"/"Das Irdische Leben"/"Nicht Wiedersehen"/"Phantasie"/"Wo die Schönen Trumeten Blasen"/Fünf Lieder nacht Texeten von Friedrich Rückert/"Urlicht" (Gerhaher/Huber)

Julius Hemphill:  One Atmosphere

Various:  Noise Reduction System:  Formative European Electronica 1974-1984

Platti: Sonatas & Trios (Ensemble Cordia)

Lisel:  Mycelial Echo

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 11 "Serioso" & 13/Grosse Fuge (Busch Quartet/Busch Chamber Players) (it is difficult to communicate just how stupendous these records are)

Good Looking Friends:  The Light of the Well (I just find it so charming that this perfectly ordinary Brooklyn Alt Rock band has a major classical composer on sax)

Jeroen van Veen:  Minimal Préludes, Book I (van Veen)

Sammartini:  Late Symphonies (Lürig/Accademia d'Arcadia)

Jess Joy:  PATREEARCHY

Damon Locks/Black Monument Enemble:  Where Future Unfolds

Lou Reed, John Cale & Nico:  Le Bataclan, Paris, Jan 29, '72

Killmayer:  Sinfonias Nos. 1 "(Fogli)", 2 "(Ricordanza)" & 3 "(Menschen-Los)"/Nachtgedanken/La Joie de Vivre (Schmid/Killmayer/Schneidt//Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt/Viktor-Lukas-Consort/Münchner Philharmoniker/SWR Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart)

Sammartini:  More Late Symphonies (Lürig/Accademia d'Arcadia)

Kraus:  Complete Chamber Music with Keyboard (Schwede/Després/Riesen) (YO)

Phyllis Curtin:  Twentieth-Century Songs of Spain and Latin America (by Sciammarello/Villa-Lobos/Granados/Turina/Nin/Ginastera)

Archie Shepp:  Four for Trane (we all know and love Shepp, but what really comes across here is what an invaluable musician Roswell Rudd was)

Moloko:  I Am Not a Doctor

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 12 & 14 (Busch Quartet) (yikes) (the top of the top)

16 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Archie Shepp:  Four for Trane (we all know and love Shepp, but what really comes across here is what an invaluable musician Roswell Rudd was)

Nathaniel Mackey named a book of poems after that album.

12 hours ago, AaronS said:

are any of the post hiatus miles davis records good?

Not in my opinion.  Risking blowback from Wilf and/or Sneak,  I am happy to no longer own "On The Corner" or ever have to hear any of it again.  I saw Miles several times in his later years and he was certainly not interested in playing live - he did 5 minutes with back to the audience, walked off or stopped playing for 15 minutes or so, then back on for another half hearted 5.  Good members of his band each time, lucky for us, but the material sucked.  I think the same of his recordings and assume that they weren't heart felt in the least.